Notices

Well I am out, before I completely got in.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I am out, before I completely got in.

I have decided to move on for now, I am going over to the rotary camp. I am picking up a FD3S in a couple of months, after looking around and studying. I am just not feeling the vibe of modding my civic anymore, I am going to keep it around, and possibly someday finish my Civic, but for now, RX7 here I come.

Thank you guys for all the help you have provided, and all I have learned has come from HT and you guys always saying to do it hands on, without you all, I would have never finished my swap. HT is still #1! I'll post updates from time to time during my RX7 project.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:36 PM
New User

Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (AresB16A2Turbo)

Sorry to hear that... but good luck with your rotary adventure.

ive always loved the FC.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (Civtek)

Thank you for the words of encouragement, I'll most likely be back mid-project with the FD, cause I still wanna boost my Civic, just not right now.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:43 PM

What year fd? Which model? Atleast get a 94
Old 07-14-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (quikB18B)

93 or 94, I really don't care what model, whether it is base, touring, R1 or R2, I am gonna do a lot of custom work with it as it is. New motor is the first thing on my list, a mild bridgeport or Street Raceport, 2MM Hurley seals, some other goodies. As long as the paint is good, the body is straight, and the interior is in decent condition I'll be happy, I could care less about the motor.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:50 PM

apex seals are a bitch. its like blowing a headgasket times 100
Old 07-14-2003, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (TeStUdO)

Kinda true, as long as you have it tuned well, and taken care of well, a few safety upgrades, radiator, oil coolers etc, nice FMIC, that should help a lot. Heat, detonation are BIG rotary killers. It'll but cool to know, that on 15PSI of boost, I can produce 450 HP though.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: (AresB16A2Turbo)

my good friend has a baddass 94 fr, he told me when I was in the market for a 93 about the downfalls of that year. Ill talk to him tonight and find out. SOme of his mods are street port, greddy power extreme, power FC, tein suspension, volk's and whole bunch of other stuff. I that car. H e is on his 2nd or 3rd motor. He taked care of it very weel hes just had some bad luck
Old 07-14-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (quikB18B)

Downfalls? ~shrugs~ I know the majority of them have some major issues, which I am willing to work with, fix and of course do preventive maintenance on.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:58 PM

PUSSSAY!11
Old 07-14-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (94goldjungsr)

LoL, would be saying that after you see the tail lights of my 7?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre 7 can't handle the drive to his house for the race.

Sorry, had to say it. I FUGGIN LOVE those cars, if you've ever wrenched on one you'd understand, but there are certain cosmetic flaws purposely engineered into them to hide their serious structural flaws. In some aspects, there is next to nothing you can do to bypass the fuckedupness that is 3G RX7.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, good luck w/ the FD. I have always loved those cars but I decided they are just not for me after seeing all the problems my friends have gone through. Ive had 3 friends w/ RX7's and only one has had moderatly good luck. That is the guy quikB18b is talking about, and he is only on his 3rd motor. Then my other friend David had one for two years, he did the all the upgrades rx7.com reccomended but the thing was still in the shop monday-thursday week after week. It got to the point where it was too expensive to fix it he had to sell it. Sad thing is w/ all the problems the car only ran a best of 13.8 @ 104. It had horrible wheel hop. Then my other friend who is actually trying to make his fast is on his 2nd set of stock turbos and 3rd motor already. It friggen sucks. I feel bad for the guys their cars never run @ full-potential cause they are always pluaged by vacum line problems or overheating issues. Don't wanna scare you just sharing my experiences. Good luck w/ the FD just keep the civic around for a daily driver. cant beat a civic for a daily. good luck again.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are certain cosmetic flaws purposely engineered into them to hide their serious structural flaws. In some aspects, there is next to nothing you can do to bypass the fuckedupness that is 3G RX7.</TD></TR></TABLE>
For curiosities sake, would you care to elaborate?
Im also a big rotary fan. My second car was a 1st gen RX7... loved that car.
And belive it or not, i actually aquired an 82 chevy S10 with a 12a in it.
Yes, an s10. man what a hack job that was, i dont know what posseses some
people. I only wish it wasnt so damn hacked, i may have left it in one piece..
Old 07-14-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Youre 7 can't handle the drive to his house for the race.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO! HAHAHA!

Yea believe me I understand, definitely keeping the civic for my daily, this will be my weekend warrier so to speak. For fun runs and tracking.

Best thing to do, is upgrade to a single turbo, block plate what is necessary, upgrade vacuum lines, nice street port, good rebuild, lots of cooling upgrades, rad etc, and the best tuning you can get, I know someone in my area his 7 runs low 11's, and he is on his 2nd motor, 2nd motor has over 10k miles on it. Still running strong.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:36 PM

dont feel bad in any way by moving to the fd3s crowd.. It's a whole different ball game. Supercar Vs. budget car.

And who cares about the seals, when you can pull the engine, install new apexi seals, and housing seals, put it all back togeather, in an afternoon, AND have a BRAND NEW engine more or less. No valves to deal with, rarely bearings to deal with. just seals and housings :-)
Old 07-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rioninja)

rioninja, it was a flip comment much akin to the ones I could make in re Isuzu Trooper 2.3 cracking valve seats or engine harness catching fire for no reason whatsoever (Isuzu loaned Mazda that engineer for the FD), or the vacuum hose mess that every sane automaker ditched by 1985 (oops, another Isuzu collaboration).

However, I love the sculpted aluminum suspension pieces, the incremented camber adjustment cams on the control arms, the way the engine tucks into the engine bay, the bodystyle, the single 52mm nut holding the flywheel to the eccentric shaft... all that **** looks real good when the car's up on a lift. You know, where those cars are truly at home.

My sarcastic comments are meant to prepare you, not dissuade you. I *do* like those cars, but you'll be glad to keep the Civic as daily beater.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:13 PM

I think the RX7 is truely a drivers car, in the sense that i feel the only people who should own them, are those that are going to be listening to the motor like a nut, and things such as that. Must the same way most of us with turbo hondas are always checking and adjusting things for no apparent reason

Very beautiful car though. I absolutely love the feeling you get while sitting in the drivers seat, everything just feels perfect. I almost took a loan out to purchase my good friends 95 special edition, one of the last ones made. But alas i decided to just finish my CRX turbo setup instead, and stay out of debt (relitively speaking) for the time being.... Although to this day i still think i should have got it. Oh well, ill be joining you on the RX7 boards one of these years
Old 07-14-2003, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (rioninja)

Well hope to see you there one of these years. May not be the most reliable cars, but that is definetely NOT why I am buying it. Just something about the car, my dad had a 1st Gen RX7, that was a fun little car, was supposed to be mine, then someone stole it, and less than an hour later it was found wrapped around a tree, couldn't handle it. Was very wiggle happy in the rear end.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:09 AM

if you can make a honda engine reliable on boost, you can an rx-7 engine

and hey! whats wrong with isuzu!? my geo is isuzu powered
Old 07-15-2003, 08:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (quikB18B)

... Nice... Have fun with the rotary. It's just normal evolution. Hell, I could buy one now, but 5 years ago when I got my Civic, a Civic was what I could afford.

If I had to buy a car now... I could see myself in the 350z camp, or STI, or EVO VIII or something.

Goodluck with your future car. And careful with the high powered RWD.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 AM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Well I am out, before I completely got in. (Snafu-Si)

sorry to hear you are leaving the honda world. personally the only other car i would pursue would be a 2jz or turbo stang. I dont like rotaries personally.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and hey! whats wrong with isuzu!? my geo is isuzu powered </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing. By that era, all Isuzu's old engineers were working for Mazda.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, sorry to hear you're putting the Honda on the back burner for awhile.
but at least the next car is an RX-7, pretty nice cars despite the problems accompanied with the rotary motor. my friend just got his second 3rd Gen. RX-7.
he sold the first one with a single turbo upgrade and goodies awhile back, now he just picked up another with a new stock twin turbo setup and some goodies.
it's tuned well so it should last, hopefully.

enjoy the RX-7 as much as you can.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: (sweet)

didnt get a chance to talk to him about details but you can pm him he is a member here Gsrsol. Here is a link to thread where there a pic of the car.

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well I am out, before I completely got in.