Notices

Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car...

Mods:
-H23
-GE Sleeved block
-Venolia Pistons 8.8:1
-Pauter rods
-Ported intake manifold with secondary butterflies removed
-Portflow Head w/P&P , Titanium retainers, custom dual valve springs,
-Quaife LSD
- T3/T04B .63 A/R Turbine Housing
Stage III Turbine, Standard T04B Compressor Housing
V Trim Compressor Wheel (maybe) b super v

-SFP Manifold
-Hondata 3b w/p74ecu.
-AEM fuel rail
-Aeromotive FPR
-Tial 35mm hybrid.

Now for the cursed part...........the pic is big so im just gonna post the link:
http://www.duke.edu/~enb2/Jame...3.jpg

I was runnin on the highway 5th gear in vacuum about 65mph...no boost when suddenly it starts to miss like its running on 3 cyl. I pull over, take it out of gear and it just dies.
I checked the cap and rotor and everything was fine. Couldn't figure it out so i had to get it towed. After i got home i pulled the plugs and thats when i fold that heart breaker in cyl #1. Comp test yielded a 30psi on cyl 1.

Took the head off and found the piston top on the intake side just mangles down to the ring. Parts of the ring were in the intake many, in the turbo and somehow got into cyl 3 causing minimal damage.

I don't get what happened....

I don't think it is tuning because none of the other cyl showed damage from any kind of detonation and the plugs were fine for the 500 or so miles i had been driving the car since the build. The engine was broken in on the dyno and tuned on dyno with a lot of street tuning.

What im thinking now is an injector failed or something got into the system...but this also puzzles me as i always run a filter....thinking maybe something from the intake manifold like a fitting from a vacuum fitting i had on there .....

But we are still in process of breaking it down to find out what really happened.....whole thing is really discouraging.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (MordecaiPSI)

Man more torque than hp, definately rare in a honda. Sorry about the bad luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:04 PM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (MordecaiPSI)

Dang man that sucks, good luck though
Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

damn good numbers man, keep your head up, i know you will figure it out, and let us know,
Old 03-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about EGTs? Any melted piston?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:13 PM

damn .. that tq is sick
Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about EGTs? Any melted piston?</TD></TR></TABLE>

EGTS maxed out on highway were about 730 C so thats about 1300 F...but i never maxed out on highway much anyhow.....thats as far as ive noticed ever...

Absolutely no melted piston, just scared and nicked piston number 1 where the piston actually came apart, and cyl 3 where it looks like parts of the piston on 1 somehow got into cyl 3 through the intake manifold and scratched it up.

It was kinda hard to believe at first but i think its possible considering i was on highway and were a lot fo variations in intake manifodl presure....i can see how it could have jumped over....
Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (Rhman19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rhman19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man more torque than hp, definately rare in a honda. Sorry about the bad luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, i mean its one of the bigger honda engines along with the smaller maxed out turbo...
Old 03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was about to say DAMN that's good torque/hp ratio, but now I see it's the Honda monster engine so I'm not quite as surprised. That kind of power should make anybody verrry happy
Old 03-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmm...so the piston just sheared? Could you take some pics of the aftermath? Definetly sounds like some badass detonation. what about those pistons...I've never heard that manufacture before? any more info?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:30 PM

Just for future refrence, when taking pics really close like that you should use the cameras macro function for better focused pics.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (HatchbackComeback)

holy ****. That's a boatload of torque Good numbers. Sorry to hear about the bad luck though Hopefully you'll be able to put it back together without much of a problem.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmm...so the piston just sheared? Could you take some pics of the aftermath? Definetly sounds like some badass detonation. what about those pistons...I've never heard that manufacture before? any more info? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill try my best to describe it....sorry didnt have a digi with me when the head came off...

The intake side of the piston looked like it almost chipped off. From the edge of the valve relief closest to the endge of the piston chipped down to the first ring.
It looks like something got in there. It could be massive detonation from a possible injector failure (Siemen Deka 720's). Also think this because the exhaust port of that cyl is a bit whiter than the others.
In my mind this is an indicator than an injector failed causing the lean burn, or its just caused by oil in the cyl from the piston getting blown away, causing a weird burn....

I mean how often do these injectors fail anyhow?

Im just going over so many scenarios in my head of what coulda happened....so frustrating....
Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (MadCow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadCow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just for future refrence, when taking pics really close like that you should use the cameras macro function for better focused pics. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i know! I tried it...the little flower button on mine but its so hard to get it to work still. It was a Canon Powershot Digital Elph s100.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Thats sucks man. How did you score the Venolia pistons? I didnt know they made them for our cars . . . how much we're they?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (AVATAR)

They dont, custom.......after Inline *ucked up my sleeves i had to get em bored a tad bigger.....too big for any off the shelf pistons. Had to go custom. Cost little under $700 i think?

Venolia has been around for a while.....just not with hondas....
Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a small turbo for such a big motor. Lots of torque
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (BG Boost)

wish I reach that amount of power one day. I don't read much about the setup of yours but what kind of manifold and intercooler is it?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (btrim23)

Spearco intercooler and SFP manifold. I should hear back from the shop today...(thursday)
Old 04-01-2004, 01:28 AM

Too bad it blew, but rebuild it with a bigger turbo.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car... (Nid Styles)

nah, 375 whp is enough for me.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:46 AM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmm...so the piston just sheared? Could you take some pics of the aftermath? Definetly sounds like some badass detonation. what about those pistons...I've never heard that manufacture before? any more info? </TD></TR></TABLE>

venolia = tha shizz in indy racing engines. though, understandable. It's like hearing someone say they've got a lunati cam in their honda engine hehe (though lunati actually has a few grinds for hondas).
Old 04-01-2004, 05:27 AM

Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

venolia = tha shizz in indy racing engines. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No joke, I got to chat with the a couple of the guys on John Forces team and saw their Venolias . . . Sweet engine.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:29 AM

Default Re: (stackz)

I mean the way i understand it is that JE and Aria etc etc are big in import because they were just the first ones to market to imports. Venolia is well known in indy liek you said and in american muscle, aircrafts, and outboards as well...

I mean does anyone have a design related reason why one is better than another?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id be willing to bet that your motor blew due to lean conditions....you're almost at 13:1 afr that whole pull...

looks to be poor tuning my friend. sorry to hear, hope you get it fixed soon.

Quick Reply: Well...heres my 409tq DYNO finally of my CURSED car...