Notices

Weird problem with GReddy turbo on 00 Si

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem with GReddy turbo on 00 Si

Here's the problem: My car has been driving really well for the past few months, and then all of a sudden, last night, I started up my car and it was driving pretty weird. I would give it a little gas from a stop, and it would just bog out and die on me. Sometimes it would make a sound like a muffled trombone from the engine area (coudn't pinpoint it, I was inside the car). Anyways, I managed to limp almost all the way home, and then it died on the way down a hill. I coasted into a parking lot and tried to start it. It turned over a little, and no start. Then the battery died, so it wouldn't turn over at all when I tried to start. So I left it there. Today I went out there and tested the battery, and it was bad. So I stuck a new battery in. Tried to start. The starter worked fine, and the engine would try to catch, but it never did. So I pulled the plugs, and they were pretty fouled. So I stock some new ones in there (nothing special, just the cheap NGK plugs, and yes, they are gapped correctly). Tried again to start, no dice, same problem. So I pulled the dist. cap and rotor, and it looked like the rotor was cooked, and the points on the cap were pretty worn down as well. While I was in there, I also checked the coil, and it's fine. I threw a new rotor and cap on, and reconnected the spark plugs, and it fired up after cranking for a couple of seconds (about 2 full seconds of cranking). So now it starts, and runs fine on the street, but here's the new catch: if I stab at the gas at all, it bogs down and wants to die. Also, if I hit boost at all, all kinds of problems happen. It sounds like bad detonation, and posibly a backfire. But aside from not stabbing the gas or getting into boost, it drives on the streets fine.

Here's my setup, in case you have any questions:

B16A2
GReddy turbo kit
custom IC
AEM EMS (and yes, I got it tuned, and it WAS driving perfectly)
AEM fuel rail and FPR
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump (this MAY be the problem, but I doubt it)

And that's all that I can really think of that might have anything to do with the car not running correctly.

If you have any suggestions, either post it here or email me at elarson3100@student.fullerton.edu

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:09 PM

sup man, i have almost the same setuo on my 00 si b16 greddy 6psi, and also using walbro 255, blue box. i had the same problem well still sometimes, especially at night when temperature decrease, i had no idea, i even change the map sensor thinking that was the cause but i had no luck, i put a new set spark plugs, wires, so don't worry i'm thinking your car is doing same as mine. if you find out or correct the problem let me know man.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (blacksi-t)

Sure, I'll post here when I find out more. I'm doing a compression test tonight, so I'll post those results when I get them.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (VerbalKint)

Ok, compression test results: 195 195 195 193 (or so)

There was no out of the ordinary leakdown, all of the cylinders dropped to about 185 or 180 over a period of about 3 seconds, but then held steady there.

So my engine itself is healthy. I've talked to people on some other forums, and they seem to think that the EMS may be having problems. So I am going to try to get a hold of a laptop and check it out.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Weird problem with GReddy turbo on 00 Si (VerbalKint)

does the AEM EMS correct it self for temepeture changes? or altitude changes....
Old 10-21-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Weird problem with GReddy turbo on 00 Si (Boostin95Teg)

I'm not sure if it does, but I have driven my car in a very large range of temps without any problems (ie. Vegas, Big Bear in the winter, etc).