Notices

weird overheating problem...thought it may be my headgakset like usual, but this seems different

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default weird overheating problem...thought it may be my headgakset like usual, but this seems different

Alright so yesterday I drove my car somewhere and let it idle for a minute like usual before turning it off. After turning it off i left the car for about ten minutes and then came back to the car and started it up. Before leaving I let the car run for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden while the car was sitting there the temp gauge started creeping up. As soon as i saw it was getting hot I turned the car off...let it sit for a few minutes..and then turned it back on. The temp was fine then. I drove it all the way home with no overheating problems. I popped the hood expecting the overflow to be boiling over and it wasn't...in fact it looked pretty normal..maybe just filled up the tiniest bit, but nothing irregular. After this i drove my car 2 other times that day. I beat on the car pretty good to see if the overflow would fill up anymore or if the car would overheat, but it didn't.

This is strange because whenever my car has overheated in the past it has been my headgasket ...and it would overheat very easily if I drove it around anymore along with a completely full overflow. Now it seems to have only overheated once and strangely enough it did it after the car had been sitting for ten minutes while it was idling. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: weird overheating problem...thought it may be my headgakset like usual, but this seems different

seems as though it might be the thermostat. The thermostat might be dying, other than that i would say maybe fan switch, because it wasn't heating up when you were moving.

Also, your turbo water cooled?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: weird overheating problem...thought it may be my headgakset like usual, but this seems different

mine did the same thing, check your fan. and your lower radiator hose after running for awhile. if its significantly colder than your upper it means that your thermostat is not opening and it needs to be replaced.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seems as though it might be the thermostat. The thermostat might be dying, other than that i would say maybe fan switch, because it wasn't heating up when you were moving.

Also, your turbo water cooled?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i was thinking thermo too. My first instincts always tell me that its the headgasket because thats already happened to me 3 times since the beginning of summer . I guess the thermo must have just gotten stuck or something. I've got another one laying around that i can swap in if it does it again.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Beside Thermostat, radiator core blocked might be 2nd suspect.
I have heat problem last year.....similar symptoms
Temp. go up real fast on Hwy. ride @ high speed.
I ran to radiator shop.....he disassemble my radiator.
The core is block due to 10 year of age (my ride is 92 Civic)
SO I replace with new double core......now

Old 01-02-2005, 05:09 PM

I just took my thermostat out and my fan is always on
Old 01-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i drove my car with no radiaotr fan. my car nevergot above 170. guess water wetter and my mugen thermo stuff do the job.

yea, try flushing your cooling system, prestone makes some really good radiator clean anflushstuff.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it does it anymore i'll be sure to check the cooling system. Thanx guys