Notices

Weird Greddy Warning EGT activity

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Greddy Warning EGT activity

I have a 60mm Greddy Warning EGT gauge, sensor is tapped in my MaxRev manifold... On a 5th gear pull today, my EGTs climbed to around 780 which is normal. My warning light was on though, despite being set at 800... Am I getting intermittent detonation that is causing the EGTs to jump but the gauge is too slow to respond? The needle held steady at 780 and did not fluctuate... Car felt a little funny, like it was not putting out full power... I could feel very very slight changes in acceleration, but perhaps it was just psychosomatic. Any input would be appreciated I am really dissapointed with these Greddy warning gauges, they suck for what they cost.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 AM

motor issues. gauges don't lie
Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">motor issues. gauges don't lie</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol did you even read the post? Hes having issues with his greddy gauge not the motor.

I personally havent ever had a problem with my greddy gauges. Ive always loved them. Id try changing the warning limit and check all your wiring. If it all checks out...give greddy a call 949-588-8300 and talk to them. They have always been very helpful on the phone with me.

Good luck!

liam
Old 08-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">motor issues. gauges don't lie</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very informative, thanks n00b You should see my Greddy boost gauge that reads consistently wrong boost levels, but my GM 3 BAR is always on the ball. They are powered off the same vacuum distribution log and the Greddy always is reading .2 BAR too high... It was accurate for a couple months then just got funky. I have seen my gauge read at higher EGTs, ~810, before but never has the warning light gone on below 800C like it did last night...
Old 08-20-2003, 11:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (mskibbz-T)

i think if the yellow wire hits ground it'll set the warning light off. there isn't a diode build in.

might wanna check that.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mskibbz-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mskibbz-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very informative, thanks n00b You should see my Greddy boost gauge that reads consistently wrong boost levels, but my GM 3 BAR is always on the ball. They are powered off the same vacuum distribution log and the Greddy always is reading .2 BAR too high... It was accurate for a couple months then just got funky. I have seen my gauge read at higher EGTs, ~810, before but never has the warning light gone on below 800C like it did last night... </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude...whos the n00b? GM 3bar reads PRESSURE from sea level NOT boost pressure. Boost gauge will read + or - from outside air pressure.

IE lets say you were at 5000 feet above sea level, the GM 3bar is gonna read 3psi LESS then your boost gauge.

Your greddy reads .2bar too high because im sure you arnt at sea level...maybe 200-400 feet - it says your in WA.

liam
Old 08-21-2003, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude...whos the n00b? GM 3bar reads PRESSURE from sea level NOT boost pressure. Boost gauge will read + or - from outside air pressure.

IE lets say you were at 5000 feet above sea level, the GM 3bar is gonna read 3psi LESS then your boost gauge.

Your greddy reads .2bar too high because im sure you arnt at sea level...maybe 200-400 feet - it says your in WA.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was responding to the post above yours, not to you I am at sea level though, I live in the Puget Sound area, the thing is that my gauge USED to be accurate but its accuracy has degraded over time. I am just running off the wastegate spring for now(.45 BAR ~6.8 PSI), and the GM 3 BAR always reads max boost at 6.8 PSI whereas my Greddy gauge will read max boost at .65 BAR... When it was first installed, it would match my 3 BAR readings in my AEM EMS, after about 3-4 months then it started to lose it. All other things remaining somewhat constant, through deductive reasoning we can assume it is an issue with the Greddy boost gauge.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00SilverLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00SilverLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think if the yellow wire hits ground it'll set the warning light off. there isn't a diode build in.

might wanna check that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the wiring today
Old 08-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

can u explain why? i thought the gm map was tapped into the intake manifold therefore sensing how much boost is in the intake manifold.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.2Lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can u explain why? i thought the gm map was tapped into the intake manifold therefore sensing how much boost is in the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.2Lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can u explain why? i thought the gm map was tapped into the intake manifold therefore sensing how much boost is in the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorta right.

A boost gauge works by showing the pressure difference in PSI or kg/cm2 inside the intake manifold to outside atmospheric pressure. (ie 5psi over outside airpressure).

The MAP sensor works by reading the absolute pressure.

Here is an example. Say you have two cars both boosting 5psi. One is at 5000 feet above sea level, and the other is at sea level. Both boost gauges are going to show the same value (5psi) but both will have different map reading. Why? Because your boosting 5psi over atmospheric pressure. And at 5000 feet above sea level there is less air.

So when your boosting 5psi at 5000 feet, the map sensor will have a similar value as boosting 2psi at sea level. Thats because there is about 3psi less air pressure at 5000 feet then at sea level.

Thats why you honda will happly run at 10,000 feet above sea level or crusin' down the coast. Thats what the MAP sensor does for the car.

Try it for yourself. Dont start your car, but let the afc come on. You will notice the pressure reading is in the negative; say -0.035kg/cm2 (~-0.5psi). That value is how much (since its negative your are above sea level...less air pressure) difference in kg/cm2 you are compared to sea level. If you were below sea level it would read positive pressure. When i lived in colorado i was at about 5300 feet and my afc would read -0.2109kg/cm2 (~-3psi).

Although not exact (weather can change it somewhat), you can convert the map sensor reading (outside air pressure) into an estimation of altitude!

Cool Stuff huh?

liam
Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now that i read that, i understand.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the-anti-crack)

Very good write up, thanks for the explanation