Notices

-----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR?

So my DIY WBO2 project is coming together. I will basically have a box that puts out 0-5v signal. Could I use a Ti-88 or similar graphing calculator to log the voltage signal and graph it? I did this in school but can't remember if there are any limitations to this method.

Is the accuracy of these calculators good enough to get me within a 1/4pt on the AFR scale? Is there a way you could program the calc to convert the input to reflect true AFR not just V?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (Bailhatch)

you can't tell me there are no calculator experts on here
Old 02-09-2004, 05:00 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Only thing I would be concerned with is the sampling rate, and the very limited memory of TI Graphing Calculators.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (DaX)

go on
Old 02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (loSthoPe)

HAHAHAHA
Old 02-10-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

Sampling rate isn't high enough, and not enough memory in em. If you want something like that, run a palm.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

I have a plam but where could I get a program to log and/or convert voltage? I am building the diywb so i'm not sure if there are any palm programs for it.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

OOOH you will love this:

http://www.ecucontrol.com/ - badars datalogging ware for PDA.

http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/ - that site is everything you need for ecu programming.

good luck
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (Bailhatch)

anytime you want to log information like that you have to have an analog to digital converter... a TI calculator works entirely off of digital signals in its inputs

same with a pocket pc, I am sure that someone has a setup that was made to take voltage inputs from pressure transducers, thermocouples, oxygen sensors, etc
Old 02-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (stierhund)

is analog to digital needed for displaying the voltage too? I assume not because you can use a mutimeter to display the output v of the WB controller. So if i want to use a plam pilot, I would need another 'box' to convert the WB controler output to a digital signal, as well as run some special program for the palm? I'm not really into electronics so please keep it dumb for me
Old 02-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pgmfi.org, makes my head swim. info overload
Old 02-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Digital means the power is either on or off. Analog means the power level varies, like your WBO2's output.

You might consider ditching the older DIY-WB board and grab a Techedge 1.5 at a fair price... there is Palm logger software available for OS 3.5+, you just need the serial data cable for the Palm and a null modem connector. Logs AFR and RPM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (J. Davis)

go on...heres a snackerl http://www.pocketlogger.com/ i didnt read it much but there seems to be some info
Old 02-11-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (loSthoPe)

Pocketlogger looks good for obdII.

http://wbo2.com/ Thats something you may want to check out, its some sort of DIY project for cheap WB, they have a digital display.

http://www.nitroburn.com/pgmfiwiki/ - thats the most useful thing on pgmfi, its slightly more organized than the main forums, and the info is more to the point. There is a wideband section in there as well. i could read pgmfi forums for days and still be lost in space
Old 02-11-2004, 06:26 AM

Interesting info - I remember reading somewhere about someone doing some cool stuff with the graphing calcs.

My upcoming project (after I finish my helmet cam - man I have too many projects...) is going to be using a Labjack U12 (http://labjack.com/labjack_u12.html) for all my data acquisition and logging.

Might be a viable option for others too. I have a friend that's currently using it on his Z for the same thing.

Like the others mentioned - you'll get much more love (or just be flamed worse) at pgmfi.org - good luck
Old 02-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Digital means the power is either on or off. Analog means the power level varies, like your WBO2's output.

You might consider ditching the older DIY-WB board and grab a Techedge 1.5 at a fair price... there is Palm logger software available for OS 3.5+, you just need the serial data cable for the Palm and a null modem connector. Logs AFR and RPM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

like 1s and 0s vs. waves right?

I see what your saying about the TE 1.5 it is exactly what I want but it really isn't in the budget (300ish used). I will be able to do the DIY wb for about 120 including the project box and other misc parts. down the road a more versitial WB will definatly be in my car but for now...

I guess what i'm looking for then is an easy way to just display my WBO2 voltage. I don't nesscaraily need to convert it to AFR to have it be usefull. I was planing on zip tieing my multi meter next to my safc (displaying correction & rpm) and just filming it as I make pulls

could I just get a digital volt gauge and use that? I would be stoked to have a small display that just showed my O2 voltage, just for safety...."oh no it's below 2.2v" or whatever. stupid idea?

pocketlogger is a no go for OBD1 hondas

wbo2.com is the techedge J davis is talking about.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like 1s and 0s vs. waves right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Digital sees highs and lows and analog see's what looks like an oscilloscope [sine wave].
Old 02-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: -----WB O2 Voltage----- Use a graphing calculator to log AFR? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct. Digital sees highs and lows and analog see's what looks like an oscilloscope [sine wave].</TD></TR></TABLE>\

sweet, well that sums up my knowledge of electronics.

so anyone have some ideas how I can make a ghetto (read - VERY inexpensive) voltage or AFR display. since I apparently built the wrong WB controller

i guess the big yellow multi tester has a new home in my hatch...