Notices

water cooled turbo: return line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water cooled turbo: return line?

Coming to the final stages of my build. I have mishimoto rad, theres a fitting on top thats capped off im wondering if i can run my return into it. Really been scratching my head on this one.
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/images/D/RAD-CIV-92-7.jpg
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: water cooled turbo: return line?

That's not a fitting. That's for the upper radiator mount which you really need to use
Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i get that..But it goes into the rad, the kit i've got doesn't have any an fittings, just a bango for the turbo side, then a jubilee clip on the end i was guessing this is what the other guy did.
Can't really see anywhere else to put it, unless i get a fitting for the plug on the exhaust side
Old 10-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the radiator drain as my return. I used an adapter I think it was 1/4" pipe thread X -6AN.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your looking at overflow reservoir port. If you want to go to radiator do as Dark_Teg stated
Old 10-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a -6an fitting weld on the side of my bottom tank on the radiator for my return. Br fittings sells a kit
Old 10-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It needs to have circulation. We used an outlet off the thermostat housing to feed the turbo and the outlet from the turbo goes to the head to keep the circulation as intended like stock.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea there needs to be a pressure differential in order for coolant to fill the CHRA. After shutdown convection will circulate coolant. You want the coolant feed to be after the water pump (the pump pushing water) and the coolant return to be before the pump (the pump sucking water). Don't worry about a rise in coolant temps. The amount of heat absorbed from the CHRA won't be noticeable unless you have a cooling system problem.

Also you need to clock the CHRA for water. You want the housing clocked no more than 20* from vertical with the coolant outlet on the "top" side. This is important for two reasons.

First the internal design of the water jacket means air can get trapped within the CHRA.
Second without the angle water won't properly convect through the housing after engine shutdown. This is where water is most beneficial

Personally I'm going to be running a 944 Turbo style cooling system where the turbocharger has a dedicated pump in the cooling system.

The problem with using the upper radiator mount post is that air accumulates at the highest point of the system. Combine that with the pressure within the cooling system (assuming you don't use waterless coolant) and those two things could prevent coolant from flowing. Same principle as crankcase pressure backing up the oil return line.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine went from the front of the block through the turbo back to the radiator
Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
Yea there needs to be a pressure differential in order for coolant to fill the CHRA. After shutdown convection will circulate coolant. You want the coolant feed to be after the water pump (the pump pushing water) and the coolant return to be before the pump (the pump sucking water). Don't worry about a rise in coolant temps. The amount of heat absorbed from the CHRA won't be noticeable unless you have a cooling system problem.

Also you need to clock the CHRA for water. You want the housing clocked no more than 20* from vertical with the coolant outlet on the "top" side. This is important for two reasons.

First the internal design of the water jacket means air can get trapped within the CHRA.
Second without the angle water won't properly convect through the housing after engine shutdown. This is where water is most beneficial
The whole 20* angle is an optimal solution. Concentrate on the CHRA being as veritical as possible. It's important, but not THAT important.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mines clocked enough for optimal oil drain. Allowing everything to cool before shutdown is best thing to do IMO. I also fill my cooling system with airlift so little if any air at all in my cooling system
Old 11-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost

The problem with using the upper radiator mount post is that air accumulates at the highest point of the system. Combine that with the pressure within the cooling system (assuming you don't use waterless coolant) and those two things could prevent coolant from flowing. Same principle as crankcase pressure backing up the oil return line.
This was my fear. Think i need to get me an adaptor for the rad drain plug then. The line wont reach to any any other plugs, and then im not sure if the plugs are for water or oil.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:40 AM

There's only one oil feed fitting, one oil return fitting, and two water fittings, each to be from a different source to circulate.

See the FAQs. They illustrate the CHRA
Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one fitting tapped into the cylinder head water neck and the other replaces the block plug left of the dip stick tube that converts to AN fitting. 4years like this over 15k miles and short lines so no extra clutter.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP where are you routing your feed from?

I was going to feed mine from the front of block free plug, but there is literally 2 inches of room between the inlet of coolant for the turbo and the freeze plug.

Also, I'm using the same mishimoto rad as you. I just bought a M16x1.5 to -6 AN fitting for the radiator drain plug to work as a return, the fitting was about $6 from Summit.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Route the the one you connected to the freeze plug to the water port on the opposite side of the turbo. It does not have to be used on the side closest to the freeze plug. The remaining port can go to the radiator
Old 11-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FeelTheBass
OP where are you routing your feed from?

I was going to feed mine from the front of block free plug, but there is literally 2 inches of room between the inlet of coolant for the turbo and the freeze plug.

Also, I'm using the same mishimoto rad as you. I just bought a M16x1.5 to -6 AN fitting for the radiator drain plug to work as a return, the fitting was about $6 from Summit.
I have used a t-peice off of the water rail, yeah i did see them as well, i was hoping to just clamp my lines rather than fit a -an fitting. If i have to fit -an fittings i'll be using the plug on the exhaust side of the engine. Next to the dipstick.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Route the the one you connected to the freeze plug to the water port on the opposite side of the turbo. It does not have to be used on the side closest to the freeze plug. The remaining port can go to the radiator
Alright thanks, but should I keep the CHRA at the optimal 20 degree from vertical position with this routing since it's different from how Garrett describes it? Or just keep the CHRA as straight up-and-down as possible?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Straight Vertical as possible. Don't worry about the 20* angle.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would the chra not be down to the angle in which the turbo sits on the manifold?

Also how should the lines be hooked up. Should they be gravity based like with the oil return.

Or can they go either way round. I.e what ever works best for routing the lines.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 AM

As long as you have 2 sources for the water. (one outflow and one inflow) you'll be fine.
Search around for how to do it. There are several methods. You can't just do it any way you want.

I'm not understanding the 1st part of your question:

Originally Posted by philcivicjordan
Would the chra not be down to the angle in which the turbo sits on the manifold?
Could you try writing that again please?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by philcivicjordan
You can losen the bolts holding the housings to the CHRA and clock the CHRA as needed to get the desired angle. Side to side is obviously dictated by turbo manifold design. Either buy something quality, machine surfaces, or have an adapter flange made if this angle is an issue.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I just wasn't sure what philchivicjordan was trying to say.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah sweet well explained.

I may have my lines the wrong way only reason i asked. Will have to double check this
Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The Garrrett CHRA has both water ports at the same height on the casting. It doesn matter which one is the inlet or outlet.

Now on other turbos like MHI and IHI units there are two water ports on each side of the CHRA, one above the other. The reason for the 2 ports per side is for installation flexibility. You simply block off one port per side that you aren't using. With CHRAs like this the lower port is the inlet and the higher port is the outlet. This is to eliminate the possibility of air getting trapped within the CHRA.

But for your application it doesn't matter which port is the inlet or outlet just so long as your sources for each port allow proper coolant circulation.

And in regards to the angle of the turbo due to the turbo manifold, the majority of turbo manifolds will position the turbo perfectly horizontal. Usually the only time the turbo might be angled up or down is on manifolds that are designed to clear AC components or in a custom application where the turbo has to be angled to clear things. A quality turbocharger can be angled like that to a certain degree and still have proper oil draining.