Notices

wastegate vacuum line question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate vacuum line question

I have a question about how the vacuum lines from the wastegate are supposed to be ran. I know people usually just run the bottom nipple of the external wastegate to the compressor housing. However my problem is that i do NOT have a nipple on the housing for a vacuum source. What are other alternatives besides drilling the housing and adding one. Can the Wastegate be hooked up to the intake manifold vacuum? This way the pressure would be read accurately. Idk help me out.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a vacuum manifold...it'll clean up everything. Run it like so:

Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

thanks for the picture.. basically the wastegate can be just plugged into a intake manifold vacuum correct?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GsrIntegra789)

technically, no the wastegate should only see boost. the instructions even say that the line should be pre-throttle body which makes it a boost only source. the compressor housing would provide this for you.

but on that note i have run my wg off the intake manifold for 3 years with no issues.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

can u connect the bov and the wastegate together?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

technically yes but its best if they have separate lines. just run a vacuum block like the pic above. i actually have one for sale if interested.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think i need a vacuum manifold bc im using the AEBS IM and i have like 4 open vacuums on it..so ill just use those.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have another question . can the wastegate be connected straight into the bov? or do they need to go into the IM vacuum . some help me out bc im having a hard time understand how vacuum flow works on a turbo setup. Ive been thinking about this for a while and it just doesnt make sense to me. If underboost the intake manifold will get positive pressure how can the wastegate be hooked up to it if the wastegate requires a vacuum (which is negative pressure)? someone elaborate please.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are misunderstanding how a wastegate works. the wastegate needs to see boost to work, NOT vacuum. (TiAL will even tell you, vacuum could damage the wastegate) when positive pressure is applied under the diapragm the wastegate opens. so no vacuum needs to go to the wastegate. you can use the IM as a source because it will see vacuum and boost. anything after the throttle body will see both vacuum and boost. pre-throttle body only sees positive pressure.

you cannot hook the bov and wastegate together, neither would work. bov's need vacuum to open. under boost they are pressed closed, off the throttle to valve is sucked open to release pressure.

i think it can get confusing because people refer to all vacuum lines as just that "vacuum" lines when technically all vacuum lines see boost too.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Problem solved quickly and easily...

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=BCS
Old 05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are misunderstanding how a wastegate works. the wastegate needs to see boost to work, NOT vacuum. (TiAL will even tell you, vacuum could damage the wastegate) when positive pressure is applied under the diapragm the wastegate opens. so no vacuum needs to go to the wastegate. you can use the IM as a source because it will see vacuum and boost. anything after the throttle body will see both vacuum and boost. pre-throttle body only sees positive pressure.

you cannot hook the bov and wastegate together, neither would work. bov's need vacuum to open. under boost they are pressed closed, off the throttle to valve is sucked open to release pressure.

i think it can get confusing because people refer to all vacuum lines as just that "vacuum" lines when technically all vacuum lines see boost too.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

bingo
wastegate = pressure ONLY source
BOV = dedicated vac source
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the explanation. yeah after i made the post i was thinking about it some more and then i realized that i did misunderstand how a wastegate works. Thanks for clearing it up tho.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oneludesol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Problem solved quickly and easily...

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=BCS </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha awesome thanks