Notices

Wastegate not closing. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate not closing. Any ideas?

Like the title says, my wastegate is not closing. I installed my setup recently, and everything went well, other than the fact that when I go to get on the gas, the boost gauge will jump fron 20 inches at vacuum to 0. It will not progress farther. I watched and studied, with revving and watching my guage, that the wastegate is not closing. If you take off the rod from the diaphragm, the actual flapper door swings freely, and the rod seems to have good spring tension on the inside of the valve itself. The vacuum reference source for the wastegate has been changed, from the front of the compressor on the turbo, to the intake manifold, and the wastegate still does not close. Sound like a bad diaphragm? Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revving your car will not build boost...try driving it once.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

I drive it daily to work. And to the exhaust shop to get the downpipe made. Obviously this is a problem, and not just me revving it. Please be constructive and help instead of criticising and being an ***.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (shaggyeg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaggyeg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I drive it daily to work. And to the exhaust shop to get the downpipe made. Obviously this is a problem, and not just me revving it. Please be constructive and help instead of criticising and being an ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess you took my comment to mean something i didnt intend. I wasn't criticizing you at all. I have just known people in the past who think they have wastegate problems when they free rev the engine and build no boost. I thought that's what you were doing. Dont take offense...

Do you have the fire ring installed correctly?? Is the spring in the wastegate?? I'm not sure if a torn diaphragm would cause no boost though. Do you have leaks on your charge piping?? Where does the vac line for the wastegate go?? Do you have the vac line on the right port on the wastegate??

Where's Tial when you need him....
Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry, I did take it the wrong way. I understand that the engine needs to be under load to really make boost. It's an internal wastegate, not an external. It's got an adjustable rod on it, but with my theory, but adjusting it out to close the door, it now won't open.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get pictures tonight to referrence, maybe make a mspaint drawing or two.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaggyeg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll get pictures tonight to referrence, maybe make a mspaint drawing or two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pictures will definitely help...MS paint rules
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

Okay, so since this was a dibilitating dilemma, my car has been sitting and the kit taken off. i took the exhaust housing off and the compressor wheel fell into my hand. apparently the shaft had just sheared itself in two. so time to try again once i get a new turbo, or attempt to rebuild the current. fmic this time round too.