Notices

Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe?

I was told that it woud give me more hp if it was open to the air. feel free to coment on this, what do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2002, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (fast[R])

well my friends running an open air dumptube on a drag turboed b16a EG, and it's kinda annoying how the dumptube makes it sounds like a dune buggy

[Modified by Prelussion, 1:20 AM 4/10/2002]
Old 04-09-2002, 04:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (Prelussion)

well my friends running an open air dumptube on a drag turboed b16a EG, and it's kinda annoying how the dumptube makes it sounds like a dune buggy

[Modified by Prelussion, 1:20 AM 4/10/2002]

dude... youre just jealous.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (fast[R])

open air all the way!!! keep pets and small children away when the valve opens though
Old 04-09-2002, 07:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (92JDMSiR)

closed all the way. route it back in as far back as you can. keeping it quiet is soo nice. trust me. unless your into loud *** exhausts..then you might like it.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (dlplayboy)

i have the same setup turbo b16a in a hatch and i am having the dump tube welded into down pipe tomorrow...sounds like crap
Old 04-09-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (00SilverLS)

I don't hear **** when my wg dumps, a possible advantage in the midst of deltagates problems? No I'm not overboosting, but I don't hit 7psi either even though the spring is 7-9psi... but then again the wg is OLD.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:25 AM

definately open to atmosphere ...makes more power and sounds soooo gooood!
Old 04-10-2002, 03:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (turbopimp)

definately open to atmosphere ...makes more power and sounds soooo gooood!
I am going to disagree with this statement. Open to the air doesn't make more power than connected properly to the downpipe. A reconnection point at least 18 inches downstream will not effect turbine effiency and will help with cat light-off. It will also reduce boost spiking and unstable boost.

Personally, it can sound good or bad depending on the application.

Randy
Old 04-10-2002, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (RGAZ)

I have an open air setup, dumping to the bottom of the car (about 20" of piping) off of a Deltagate, and it sounds great, not too loud unless under full boost, at which point women and small children duck for cover and grown men **** themselves.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (X2BOARD)

Just my .02 cents...

Open is great for the first week but then you realize that whenyou are in a stop light or going slow and your wg happens to release some e.g. you will "stink" up your car and your self so if you work somewhere professional you get there smelling like you are a mechanic...
Old 04-10-2002, 07:32 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (X2BOARD)

at which point women and small children duck for cover and grown men **** themselves.
the last thing i want my car to do is make women duck for cover. i am seriously considering routing the WG back into the dp
Old 04-10-2002, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (falconGSR)

Will it effect HP at all if the dump tube was roughted all the way back past the DP? Im thinking about having it come out of the test pipe.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (falconGSR)

You need to keep in mind that closed loop, depending on turbo position, may eliminate your A/C..
Old 04-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Trial User

I have mine open to the air. When it opens at 10psi that thing is wailing.. good solid mean sound... at lower pressure yes.. it sounds like a pissed off lawn mower but we don't put turbo's on to run low boost...

you'll get used to it....
Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

You need to keep in mind that closed loop, depending on turbo position, may eliminate your A/C..
thats not an option either. depending on which manifold i get, i should be able to route it along the other side of the manifold opposite the compressor
Old 04-10-2002, 10:43 AM
New User

I like my open wastegate, I think it sounds cool. Im only boosting at like 6psi though. IMO its stupid to weld it to the downpipe, waste of ******* time
Old 04-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I guess I will post since this thread has been hanging around for a couple of days.
I voted open dp. Funny......I just made mine the other night. It started out as a Harley Davidson Drag pipe.....hehehehe I swear! It had a rough life, going from some loud *** harley to being a dp on my turbo'd civic!
Kind of a cool bend to it--since Im not putting my AC back in, it goes across to under the power steering pump and dumps down towards the crank pulley!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (blkDOHCsol)

You sir, are full of rage and angst. You should seek help
Old 04-10-2002, 12:57 PM

AC what the hell is that? Same goes for the heater, what the hell is that too? I lack both, and really just don't give a damn about dead weight. I have a deltagate and hardly hear it. I am thinking about routing the dump into the exhaust, I'm not too worried about lighting up the cat cuz, what's a cat? It's gone too. Even in Texas' hot *** weather, I cruise along in my black crx, in 100degree weather. Does anyone have a noisy deltagate? I plan on tossin it for a tial.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (CRXRageD)

OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!
sounds INSANE!!! check diRep's(sp) videos!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (SiRkid)

i got a home made turbo kit goin on with a 14b turbo, with a 2.5 inch downpipe, anwaysy i left the internal wastegate top port open cuz its hard to route it back in, i figured i'd leave it open cuz a lotta people do this anwyasy .. at idle is the wasteagate supposed to stay closed ? and when you rev it is it supposed to open and let our air ? i put it in gear ( cars in the air) and put it in 1st and revved it out and it was still lettin air out the wastegate( which i assume is correct) anwaysy .. it spits out flames whenever i rev it, ( maybe runnin rich) give me some insite on this thanks !!!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (project dc2)

holy moly old thread
Old 11-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (RGAZ)

I am going to disagree with this statement. Open to the air doesn't make more power than connected properly to the downpipe. A reconnection point at least 18 inches downstream will not effect turbine effiency and will help with cat light-off. It will also reduce boost spiking and unstable boost.

Personally, it can sound good or bad depending on the application.

Randy
Then we do all the pro draggers run an open loop? Even far away enough there is going to be some losses, not big ones, but if you're looking for every edge when at the strip then keep it open.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe? (Etylorcen)

Definitely going to be closed loop. Women don't like smelling like exhaust.

Quick Reply: Wastegate dump tube open to the air or conected to the downpipe?