Notices

Wastegate dump tube

Old 11-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate dump tube

Does anyone do anything except dumping into the atmosphere? Are there collectors out there that will allow you to dump back into the exhaust stream? When the wastegate opens, isn't it real loud??? If so, doesn't it bury the sounds of the sexy *** BOV!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube (grngsr01)

Somtimes i forget i have a bOV unless my windows are rolled up. I heard it for the first time at the track were my windows had to be rolled up . Oh yeah mine.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM

You can definitely dump it back into the exhaust, ie the down pipe. Also, there is a second option, you could build some sort of piping that would allow you to use a seperate muffler just for the waste gate dump.

Although dumping it to atmosphere does sound really cool, its really loud. Keep in mind though that it's only dumping when you are making full boost, ie at WOT, so it's not all the time, just when you get on it.

Jake d.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube (BlackKnight7)

what does it sound like, it it more of like a sneeze or a ppppssssssssshhhhhhh. Is it completely ddistingushable from the BOV?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:02 PM

more like an exhaust without a muffler.

mostly because that's what it is.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grngsr01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what does it sound like, it it more of like a sneeze or a ppppssssssssshhhhhhh. Is it completely ddistingushable from the BOV?</TD></TR></TABLE>

But when the BOV goes pssssh, you are off the throttle so the wastegate isn't open thus no sound from the dumptube.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But when the BOV goes pssssh, you are off the throttle so the wastegate isn't open thus no sound from the dumptube.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got a good point there
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM

It sounds like a girgle (weedeater under water). I got tired of it real quick, and I ended up recirculating it back into the exhaust. Besides, there are plenty of other things that you need to be listening for other than a sexy BOV or dumptube like detonation.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha good topic.
Does anyone know if it affect HP or not?
Take for example the greddy 18G kit...........I would imagen that if you have internal WG it would be great to have cause it would sperate the 2 so that you would not spike as much at 10+psi.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...67073 something along the lines of this

but i think i would be better if it did not MERGE in the collector again.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) so let me get this correct. the open dump tube only make noise at WOT?
2) does it go off the same time as the BOV would when your shifting...at WOT or sightly before when you reach that certain rpm?
3) is it louder than say..... a inline pump?..... buzzzzzzzzzzz ?
4) would a turbo with a internal WG sound softer than a external WG dump tube?
anyone got a audio clip of it?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate dump tube (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) so let me get this correct. the open dump tube only make noise at WOT?
2) does it go off the same time as the BOV would when your shifting...at WOT or sightly before when you reach that certain rpm?
3) is it louder than say..... a inline pump?..... buzzzzzzzzzzz ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. No, the open dump tube will only make noise when the wastegate is bleading off exhaust (when the wastegate is open to keep a set boost level)
2. NO your BOV goes off to release charged air in the intake tract after the throttle has been closed, these 2 functions are completely independant of each other.
3. YES, quite a bit...
4. Not if the wastegate dump tube is recirculated back into the exhaust flow (like mine )

HTH

Edit: Yes it does play a role in making power, generaly an open dumptube will make more power, but allso a dump that is recirculated later down in the exhaust flow, will be close if not the same as an open dump.

Rob
Old 11-06-2003, 05:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1) so let me get this correct. the open dump tube only make noise at WOT? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will only make noise when you are creating more boost than your boost controller is set at. Thus, only at WOT or very close to it.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2) does it go off the same time as the BOV would when your shifting...at WOT or sightly before when you reach that certain rpm?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really, there might be some over lap. Ok the wastegate goes is open when you are making more than full boost. The BOV opens when there is a set pressure difference between your IC piping and your intake manifold. When do you get this difference? When you lift on the throttle and the throttle closes. Thus, they will not be open at the same time. Except maybe at partial throttle situations under heavy load, like going up a hill.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3) is it louder than say..... a inline pump?..... buzzzzzzzzzzz ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you serious? It's raw exhaust. Disconnect your headers and tell me if it's louder than your inline pump. Granted it's its a smaller outlet. Have you ever heard a pre-muffler exhaust leak? Thats basically what it is.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um yes. The internal waste gate is dumped back into the exhaust system in most cases. I have an internal gate I can't even tell when it opens.

Jake d.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 AM

for someone who hates parrots, you kinda just were one.

hehehe j/p mang.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow good response.

Ok so it would sound very much like when you have crapy header 4-2-1 and it cracks inbetween the runners and sounds like a exhaust leak... haha I just hope that its not constantly. cause I would like to be able to hear my turbo spool.

BlackKnight7..... You have an internal WG too? what turbo?

NEW questions:
1) some dsm and supra guys state that you can litterly shoot flames out of the dump tube. HOW is that even possible. What conditions have to be present for that to happen. I have a EF with WW kit and don't want any flames coming out. I'm thinking that it only happens on 500+whp setups and my 300whp setup should not see any flames... I hope

2) SETUPS with open dump tube: ...... do you smell the gas in the car if its dumped right infront of the block/open space area? or is the engine bay fair well ventelated?

3) SETUPS with side exit OPEN dump tube:
do you run a canister or muffler to quite it down alittle? if so what kind & cost? and did it even lessen the amount of noise?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for someone who hates parrots, you kinda just were one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Woops, he just beat me to it I guess. Meh it happens

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow good response.

Ok so it would sound very much like when you have crapy header 4-2-1 and it cracks inbetween the runners and sounds like a exhaust leak... haha I just hope that its not constantly. cause I would like to be able to hear my turbo spool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it would be like a leaky header. You would be able to hear the turbo spool until it was at full boost. At full boost though I think you would be more worried about driving the car than listening for spool.

BlackKnight7..... You have an internal WG too? what turbo?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I have a 14b. It's has the stock mitsu O2 housing, which dumps it back into the exaust rather quickly, which isn't good for flow, but is cheap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NEW questions:
1) some dsm and supra guys state that you can litterly shoot flames out of the dump tube. HOW is that even possible. What conditions have to be present for that to happen. I have a EF with WW kit and don't want any flames coming out. I'm thinking that it only happens on 500+whp setups and my 300whp setup should not see any flames... I hope
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe they could shoot flames. If there is enough fuel still in the exhaust gas. It depends on the tuning job or the A/F. I mean guys can shoot flames out the back of exhausts in super rich situation ie rev-limiter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3) SETUPS with side exit OPEN dump tube:
do you run a canister or muffler to quite it down alittle? if so what kind & cost? and did it even lessen the amount of noise?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could definitely put a muffler on it, the cost would depend on the muffler choice, and piping cost, this would be dependent on how you routed it.

Jake d.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my WG recirculated back to the exhaust. Its nice and quiet. The loudest thing on my car is the turbo and I am loving it...sounds like an F-15 with its afterbuners lit up!

One time, one the bolts on my WG came loose and I had a small exhaust leak between the manifold and the wastegate. Boy did everyone know it!! It sounded soo damn awful!!! I don't how the guys with open WG bare it...