Notices

wastegate choice tial, synapse, precision

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate choice tial, synapse, precision

Hi guys, those of you running 66+mm turbos what wastegates do you run and have found to be working well.

Currently I run a 60mm HKS but I find it that it leaks through, i know some leakage is normal through the stem but im not happy.

Its a twin scroll joined into the 60mm, it controls boost fine on my 72mm turbo but I want to get something that dosent leak so much.
Anyone having luck with the synchronic 50mm from synapse, tial 60mm, twin mvs38s?
space and work involved would be easier to stay single wg but I am willing to adjust/change things in order to improve my setup.

thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: wastegate choice tial, synapse, precision

The size of the turbo isn't as important as the boost pressure range trying to be achieved and what kind of priority the wastegate/s have on the manifold. A picture of the manifold would help more.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true, this is what im working with bu has been Y into one 60mm flange.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

synapse... no
precision... hell no
TiAL... yes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:00 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by wantboost
synapse... no
TiAL... yes
co-sign
i own both and the synapse is just a freakin headache times two.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't complain about my second hand Tial. I can only imagine what it would be like new. It works. I mean, it works. What else is there to want?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tial all the way. i've seen two sets(4 total) synapse wg's have issues with staying together and serious boost control issues. as far as their bov's, there fine.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Add turbosmart to the list too!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

turbosmart and TiAL are the only two i would use. I've seen the cyclic test for every brand mentioned here (except synapse, wasn't even worth testing )

the eBay copies failed first, the precision gate failed next and fairly early, turbosmart and TiAL were basically even
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know why people knock the synapse wastegate, it is literally the best wastegate out there. Especially for us front wheel drive guys. I think people are just to retarded to understand how 6 different surface areas work. I've been using the synapse wastegates on all of mine and my customer builds.

For example, i use the synapse 50mm with the softest spring combo and run 5-6psi out the whole, then i channel air to the top of both ports to keep the wastegate shut and it allows me go to 41psi without changing springs and im only 75% on duty cycles on the solenoid. No other wastegate on the market will allow you to do this. Also, if you do not have the ability to run boost control, you can change boost by swapping out to different ports.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way the Synapse rep conducted himself here was enough to turn me off to their products...he was kinda shady and IIRC is banned. Its nice to hear some user reviews of the products though
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea the way the company employees acted really turned a lot of people here away, plus there was some foul play in their testing that was discovered down the road.

they had issues with their earlier products but it is a decent product. if you know how to use the various ports properly... however it simply hasn't had enough usage or exposure like TiAL or Turbosmart so a lot of people are still a little wary about them

not to mention synapse products aren't that cheap, at least when compared to the other tried and true brands..

I'd love to see an article on a third party test of Synapse products.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I've had 3 Synapse wastegates seize. 4 of them crack under the heat, and a slew of ridiculous problems with controlling the boost with their various lines and destroyed fittings. Maybe they've improved over the last couple of years, but after I was given 3 free ones to use on some projects, I kindly returned the Synapses to the distributor and exchanged them for some Turbosmarts. Best decision yet to date.

Turbosmart or TiAL. That's about it.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had one of their first wastegates that came out on the market. Was having serious boost control issues, and after smoke testing the car to see if I had leaks, I found that my brand new Synapse wastegate was leaking like it wasn't even there.

I called them and told them my problem. They said they'd send me another one. That was like 5 years ago, still waiting on my replacement.

So yeah, TiAL.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

that sucks.

call the bbb (if they are a member ) and file a complaint. if you really want your money back call the FBI field office where synapse is located. they don't play.

they did have problems when they first came out, synapse did fix the issues but they never recalled the defective units unless someone told them theirs was bad (if they got a replacement at all) and given that synapse is fairly unknown to the masses I bet a lot of early units are still sitting on shelves... plus given they don't serialize their products like TiAL does there's no way of knowing when the unit was made.

granted TiAL does miss putting a few serial numbers in their system. I had a TiAL F46 and while the serial number was in their system and showed it was a 46mm wastegate there was no date of manufacture, assembly, or what springs it initially shipped with. granted it's very rare they miss one.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

another company to consider is JGS, while not well known in the import world (their niche is Nissan) they are very popular with the domestic crowd. their wastegates and blowoff valves are on some of the fastest domestic drag cars

their valves are built like tanks with the right materials in the right places.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM

that sucks.

call the bbb (if they are a member ) and file a complaint. if you really want your money back call the FBI field office where synapse is located. they don't play.
They won't do a thing, really, since not only is the BBB a voluntary organization, but there has to be serious injury-causing negligence to get them involved. Considering, (like most external gate companies) they specifically state that the use of their products is "off-road use only" its more of a type of indemnification that won't hold them liable.... which, in a business-sense, makes sense.

Still wouldn't get one, but going through all that with the FBI won't solve a thing. The best way of showing dissatisfaction is through the BBB and simply not getting their product until they get some things worked out.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

we had a guy in Hawaii cancel a payment after he received a diamond, called the internet fraud division of the FBI in Hawaii... they went to his house the same day and said pay or go to prison... he paid immediately lol
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM

we had a guy in Hawaii cancel a payment after he received a diamond, called the internet fraud division of the FBI in Hawaii... they went to his house the same day and said pay or go to prison... he paid immediately lol
1) That's a DIAMOND. 2) Cancelling payment is now considered a theft (a specific intent crime), not part of a "complaint" for a faulty product.. Different facts, different circumstances, different area of law altogether.

I see where you're going with it, but again, your example is completely different than this Synapse issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

that's true to a point, companies should still be held responsible for selling defective products.

for a while I thought synapse went out of business
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is enough info for me to go turbosmart, was planing on using 2 38mvs but its just simpler and less weight and cheaper to go with the 60mm turbosmart.

Much appreciated guys