Notices

Wastegate broke off

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate broke off

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
those aluminum ricetastic tow hooks aren't actually safe to tow anything, if your car doesn't have factory loops, get a set of real tow loops from someplace like pegasus racing, they have been tested to handle far more weight then any honda
Soooooo.. Where did i say Aluminum? or or anything of that caliber? My point is that tow hooks (very quality ones now) are quite available. Don't know about aluminum ones. The only good ones I've seen sold are from Racer's Wholesale or a Grassroots motorsports vendor.

"4-Tow Hooks - Some think its ricey or a way for a thief to steal it, but they'll do it anyway. Even street/strip guys at the track keep them around in case a golf cart has to tow the car back if trouble occurs."

And how is this relevant here?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol you're the one who posted that block of text here to begin with..
Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Soooooo.. Where did i say Aluminum? or or anything of that caliber? My point is that tow hooks (very quality ones now) are quite available. Don't know about aluminum ones. The only good ones I've seen sold are from Racer's Wholesale or a Grassroots motorsports vendor.

"4-Tow Hooks - Some think its ricey or a way for a thief to steal it, but they'll do it anyway. Even street/strip guys at the track keep them around in case a golf cart has to tow the car back if trouble occurs."

And how is this relevant here?
I was bringing up the point, because usually thats what someone is talking about. I've heard of the cheap ones breaking and cars being destroyed. Lately when someone says tow hook, it means one of those ankle breakers sticking out from under a riced civic. I would never install on of those POSs on my car, mine has good factory tow loops but I need some lower anyway to clear the lip.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by bungalo101
The weld joints and surrounding areas are usually weak spots. These are the first areas to go (from rust, strain, etc.) due to either the material being thinner at the weld joint or the surrounding metal, or other inherent flaws introduced (bad welding, etc). I'm not a welder but I'm sure someone here can add more info if needed. It's likely the strain caused the weld joints to give. Now wether the weld joints were subpar and were the cause I have no answer...

The flex/torque idea is similar to why flex pipe or springs bolts are used on a header as well. You want some flex to avoid cracking when the material reaches it's elastic limit (due to vibration, movement from the engine, etc.).

I would try and find a way to support the downpipe but not in a way that's completely rigid. I honestly don't know the best way to support it but maybe others on here have ideas.

Anyway, let us know how the new manifold is working. I'm curious to see the fixes and some pics of the manifold before it goes on to check out the quality.

Good luck with the new mani!
here's the high temp exhaust hanger grommets from Jegs, make a hanger out of stainless, and fit on of these to it, and weld the other end to the pipe, they make them already made up, but it's so simple to make the hanger
Amazon.com: JEGS Performance Products 309025 Snap-Grommets: Automotive Amazon.com: JEGS Performance Products 309025 Snap-Grommets: Automotive
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
I was bringing up the point, because usually thats what someone is talking about. I've heard of the cheap ones breaking and cars being destroyed. Lately when someone says tow hook, it means one of those ankle breakers sticking out from under a riced civic. I would never install on of those POSs on my car, mine has good factory tow loops but I need some lower anyway to clear the lip.
I understand now. A bit out of left flied, but I see what you mean.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Lol you're the one who posted that block of text here to begin with..
umm... Yeah. He was specifying an area of text..

"Some think its ricey." - I didn't say that I
thought they were "ricey". I'm using terminology for the context of my sentence.

I told you.. I'm specific with what I write. ..

Boy, turbohatch, you are, if nothing else, entertaining..
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

YOU POSTED THAT NONSENSE TO BEGIN WITH.

THEN YOU TELL HIM WHAT DOES THE TOW HOOK HAVE TO DO WITH THE THREAD.

YOU POSTED THE NONSENSE TO BEGIN WITH..

WHAT YOU POSTED HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS MANIFOLD CRACKING IN 6 DIFFERENT PLACES 6 MONTHS AGO.

MAYBE I SHOULD TYPE SLOWER OR SOMMAT.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:36 PM
longest project ever

What was the final outcome on getting this fixed? I also posted the high temp snap exhaust grommets, the idea was given to make a hanger bracket, and I had run across these grommets, Jegs want something like 25 bucks for a piece of stainless with one, which is simple to make, but the grommets are cheap enough to use
Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 PM
longest project ever

this is a simple bracket I made for supporting my exhaust tips, just sheared off some steel and rounded the edges on a belt sander, then bent it with a hammer in the vise, something like this would work to support the downpipe off of the firewall
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DX_JDM_HATCH
Update* I was sent the Tracking number on Friday. Tracked the shipment and shows it will be here on Wed. Yes I'm frustrated it took so long but am glad it's on it's way. I'm still holding my breath that everything is as promised.
*Update: I don't know how to read FedEx. Showed "Initiated" Friday 5/2/14 and Estimated Delivery date Wed 5/7/14. Now when I tracked it it shows "In Transit" Ship date 5/6/14 Estimated Delivery Date 5/9/14 so I'm assuming that FedEx doesn't update right away. So looks like I will have a manifold on Friday the 9th.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 PM
longest project ever

let us know how everything goes
Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jeeez I got a headache reading all of this. It's funny how a mention of a phone call from the manufacturer about "handling" the faulty product, had everybody swinging saying how bad *** he was and I'm spending my money with him. But later nothing never happened. Actions speak louder than words, which I'm sure everyone knows, but forgets. I looked at that manifold and its problems and wouldn't touch that. Then this thread goes into a bickering match about nonsense. Moral of story, there are better turbo manifolds than this, and you guys get crazy sometimes, or buzzed...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lostforawhile: Thank you for posting that pic. You gave me a great idea.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright let's keep this civil

just a warning to a few members, I will be deleting posts in this thread so don't take it personally if you get a few deleted message notifications, it's nothing personal I'm simply trying to keep this objective, hope you can understand <3
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by DX_JDM_HATCH
lostforawhile: Thank you for posting that pic. You gave me a great idea.
if you want to make one of those it's so simple, cut your material to width,calculate your height to the center of your hanger, cut the height, use a compass to scribe a circle the radius of the small end of your bracket, scribe lines from the sides of that circle to the bottom edges of the piece, now cut your angles, and use a belt sander to round off the top, drill your mounting holes etc, I used 1/8 cold rolled, so I couldn't bend it in the brake, I just clamped it in the vise and used a hammer for the angle, if it's coming off your fire wall, you wouldn't need the bend. If anything looks like it's stressed, add a hanger or support, better to have too many then not enough,same with gussets. Thats the main thing I see missing, some of those pieces off the manifolds should have had them, they are easy to make, and add a lot of strength, on my hanger isolater, I used baffling material like we use on the airplanes, it's fire proof, I glued circles to the round washer in the middle, and on one side of each outer washer, it's strong, but also can absorb vibration. We use strips of the same material glued together to hang the exhaust pipes off of the airplanes, just like your down pipe
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 PM
longest project ever

I don't want to start an E fight, but want a couple of serious opinions, it's hard to tell in the pic, but it almost looks like no weld penetration at the flange at all, almost like the welds are just sitting on the surface, I'm not the best welder in the world, but I do know what a good weld is supposed to look like, I'm interested in this thread because I'm trying to figure out what went wrong, from a technical standpoint
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It almost looks like it was a fusion pass with little to no filler. either that or the weld el and the flange weren't given a fillet to allow the weld to penetrate properly. it could also be a result of not enough heat, travelling too fast, etc.

the only way to tell how quality and structural the welds are is to run a lighted inspection camera through the manifold to check for signs of penetration or destroying the manifold and cutting each welded joint in half lengthwise to check penetration.

if you don't have a camera go to Lowe's or home depot and bring the manifold. they normally have one of those lighted inspection cameras on a display lol.

this is why I always say give each welded joint a good fillet during fitment so you can be sure the root pass penetrates properly... and backpurge to ensure complete penetration without any sugaring inside the welded joint.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*Update I received the manifold today.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I've been looking at each page deciding which posts to delete... i have my work cutout for me lol. I'll start deleting after dinner, remember if anyone gets a bunch of deleted post PMs remember it isn't personal.

did you post those pics in welding/fab? the lack of penetration bugs me a bit.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by wantboost
I've been looking at each page deciding which posts to delete... i have my work cutout for me lol. I'll start deleting after dinner, remember if anyone gets a bunch of deleted post PMs remember it isn't personal.

did you post those pics in welding/fab? the lack of penetration bugs me a bit.
well hopefully I contributed something useful
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM
longest project ever

one thing I noticed between these, and the way we do the flanges for the aircraft engines, is on our flanges, the holes in the flange are sized to let the pipes fit tightly in the flange, not just on the outside surface, this gives it some additional mechanical strength
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've requested that this tread be removed. Tim and I just had a very intense heated conversation about the situation and it's been put to rest. Both side had valid points and both sides understood. Tim has taken responsibility for his side and has apologized as did I.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
longest project ever

well at least let us know what went wrong, obviously something did, I 'm just interested from a technical standpoint, and from the standpoint of someone who does fabrication
Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Locked at OPs request. deletion on cleanup pending conversation with OP

lostforawhile, I'll pm you.