Notices

Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh

One of my wastegate bolts broke off in my Maxrev manifold. I have tried everything to get this bitch out of the manifold but nothing is working. Even one of those little tools that is supposed to remove bolts that break off like this, broke off itself in the damn bolt I've tried drilling through it but it just ain't happening, broke a dozen drill bits in about 15 minutes. I think the bolt section is half way welded into the WG flange

What are my options with this? Am I going to have to buy a new manifold? Or can the flange be removed from this manifold and a new one welded on? **** is pissing me off. I was all stoked to try out the new clutch I just installed along w/ a few other mods I did during the downtime, now this BS. And to top it off there is a huge huge car meet this Sunday and I won't even have my car to drive

Thanks for any help, I'm praying I can have this thing running by Sunday

Justin
Old 01-16-2003, 10:25 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (justinCO)

that happend to me once. I just used a punch to make a couple nice dents in there and then i coaxed it out with a tiny flathead and a hammer hitting it counter clockwise.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (MotorMatrix.com)

how did this happen tho?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (G_Force_Si)

i once broke a stud on my head and i didn't want to mess w/ retapping and all the other stuff. so, i got any old bolt and welded directly on the broken one after that i just unscrewed it out. as long as it isn't too deep in there and have some slack to weld it there it shouldn't be too hard.

[Modified by theory48, 9:29 AM 1/17/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can always take the manifold to a local muffler or machine shop. The bolt sounds like it's in there pretty good, so maybe they can heat it and get a out. Is it broke flush with the manifold or is a little bit protruding? Either way, those kind of shops know little tricks to get bolts out. GL
Old 01-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (theory48)

It happened when I was taking the WG off and I was trying to loosen the bolt and the damn thing just broke. I don't think it will just screw out either, I mean it's seriously like bonded into the WG flange like it melted in there. There is no slack or bolt sticking up to weld it. It sheared off flush with the WG flange. I think I'm screwed unless I can somehow have the WG flange un-welded (is that possible?) from the manifold and have a new flange welded on. Normally this wouldn't bother me so much but the timing is the worst ever...

Justin
Old 01-17-2003, 04:57 PM

well, i know that it sounds like it'll be hard but if you can get the welder and just melt some of the material onto the stud, it'll basically be the same as having the stud sticking out. once you have some of the metal from the welder sticking out a little, you can weld onto that. when this happened to me, the stud was broken off at least 1 mm. into the head. and i don't think the metal from the mig welder will be to hot to bond the stud to the mani. so when you put the tip of the welder against the broken stud, the metal from the welder will only stick the the stud and not the manifold keeping you from welding everything together. after you have some melted metal protuding out get another bolt and weld onto that. if you have a cast iron, a mig welder won't do anything to the manifold and just stick to the bolt.

[Modified by theory48, 1:59 AM 1/18/2003]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:41 PM

did the drill bits break with a hand drill or a drill press? try using a drill press. or u could use a dremel and very tiny drill bit or other milling bit to slowy remove material. once there's an indentation, use a regular drill.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (javierb14)

did the drill bits break with a hand drill or a drill press? try using a drill press. or u could use a dremel and very tiny drill bit or other milling bit to slowy remove material. once there's an indentation, use a regular drill.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (1320development)

You should take it to your local machine shop, the shop I always go to had a machine that burns them out with electricity, and leaves the threads perfectly clean. Go HUSH BROS
Old 01-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate bolt broke off in manifold WG flange...ugh (therumblingteg)

The drill bits broke off in just a hand drill. I tried using small ones to make starter holes for the larger ones but it was just a major pain. I'm taking the manifold to a machine shop in the morning, the guy said he should be able to get it out so we'll see. If the machinist can't do anything I'm gonna take it to my welder and see if he can muster something like welding a bolt to the flange, as suggested...Thanks for the help.

Justin
Old 01-17-2003, 07:46 PM

I had one of my manifold/turbo housing bolts break becuase I over tourqed them, but i have no need to get it removed as of right now, lucky it jsut broke the top of the bolt so I have no leaks. but take the manifold to a machine shop, they see this **** daily