Notices

Waste gates and BOV choice, with some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waste gates and BOV choice, with some ?'s

Just need a little advice for a good waste gate and BOV for the planned setup.
F22a MID sleeved
Bisi H con rods & 9:1 forged pistons
Bisi head package with upgraded valvetrain
stock cam (for now)
turbonetics T3/T4 TRE603 stg. 3 turbine "350-475hp rated!" lolz...
To run on pump gas (not e85) to make for an alternative DD

Anyways looking/hoping for around 350whp and i am a bit frazzled about choosing a proper WG and BOV. Im looking into the Tial F41 Wastegate 41mm. I see alot of people seem to use tials, plus its very easy to find their springs online for easy adjustments and i get to pick a color :D. But for my power level/turbo should i try for their larger WG sizes?

And also looking at the Tial 50mm BOV. Also seems like a solid choice people have been choosing and it too is easy to find replaceable springs for. But i was also looking at the Greddy type RS BOV as well. Comments? And suggestions for anything better? They both seem like alot of people like them and they arent $700

Iv been doing my research and reading into a few books i bought. But as far as controlling boost do i need a wastegate actuator? or can i simply splurge for the AEM truboost boost controller? And just use that with my Tial WG?

Also say i want to tune and run on 15psi, so i get the appropriate spring for my WG and set my AEM controller. But what kind of spring would i run in the BOV? A matching 15psi? or a tad less or a tad more?

Thanks a lot for any input and answers. These last few things just have me a bit confused and im trying to finish up a "shopping list"/ to-do list of sorts.

Thanks again! Just looking for some advice and wisdoms from the more experienced.

Last edited by bigsnorlax; 03-31-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Waste gates and BOV choice, with some ?'s

Go with a bigger wastegate (like you said 41mm) I have a Tial 38mm WG with a 12LB spring but on the dyno it went up to 16PSI so I just had it tuned there. Was told with the bigger WG it would stay at 12. Not sure so dont take my word on this one, but I believe the BOV has an adjustment screw on it so you dont have to swap springs ( like I said not sure ). You could look into a tubro smart WG as well, those are very good quality. Hope that helps and good luck with ur build
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you choose the F41? There's nothing wrong with it and it would work for your application but it just seems a little odd since Tial offers the MVR which is a slightly larger wastegate (44mm) for about the same price. The MVR also comes with a v-band flange that makes installation painless.

The Greddy RS BOV is ok for low boost applications. If you plan on sticking to 50lb/min turbos and low boost, it should be ok. I would recommend the Tial Q BOV though since it is ideal for the a wider range of applications whether it's a GT28 running 7psi on a D series or a GT42 on a Supra it can be configured to be responsive and it won't leak boost even in the most extreme setups.

With regards to spring pressures and boost controllers it all depends on what you want and how you want your boost to be managed. Whatever the minimum boost you want to be able to run that's the spring pressure you'll want in the wastegate. Higher boost pressures can be attained using your boost controller.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. As for why i picked the F41, Idk... I just figured the 38mm would be too small, but i suppose you really cant go TOO big on waste gate right? And i just overlooked the larger one, i see it now for just $15 more than the F41 so i might just go that route.

From what iv read people seem to like the greddy, but it seems everyone settles on the tial "Q". So im probably settled for that, plus its a damn sexy looking piece ;D

As for as boost controllers go, ill probably get the AEM unit. People seem to love it although i was really set on using a manual piece. Just seems less stuff to go wrong. People have also said they have used S300 (what im going to use) to control their boost. Is that a good option as well? Or is the AEM a tad easier and compatible wiht hondata?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

problem is that the f41 has a weird flange. at least with a 44 or 38 you have different options. tial/precision/turbosmart