Notices

warming up the azenis??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warming up the azenis??

just curious...would u warm u your new azenis?? or go around the water box?..i always went around with street tires....but the drag event is at night..and it looks like it could be a little colder than expected.
Plus: i never burned rubber at the an event before..this is what i've heard to do..

roll slowly though the box until ur rear tires are out.
rev up to 5500 in 2nd and drop it..hold for about 3-5 seconds, while pulsing the gas.
drope ur e-brake and slowly let off the gas until the car grips..stage and go.

setup is 2000 type R turbo..with 255whp.

also, how bad is it on the tranny and clutch doing a second gear burnout??

Thanks, Mark

Old 01-06-2004, 11:06 PM
r7

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (R-1303)

i wouldnt even spin those tires
Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (r7)

i guess i dont see the point in doing it in second gear as long as you are a decent driver (you know how to control the throttle). i always warm up my azenis at the track (in first gear of course).
Old 01-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i dont see the point in doing it in second gear as long as you are a decent driver (you know how to control the throttle). i always warm up my azenis at the track (in first gear of course).</TD></TR></TABLE>

first gear seems to go through to quick..don't want to bounce off the rev limiter with a turbo set up...but how is a second gear burn out on the tranny and clutch?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (R-1303)

You don't burnout on street tires to warm them up, you do it to knock any debris off of them. Street tires are a little different in materials selection, design, and construction than slicks. As soon as you glimpse the tiniest bit of tiresmoke, let off.

Burnouts are harder on your suspension and tires than they are on the transmission and clutch. The transmission and clutch feel the strain when you have traction at WOT. People give me used tires to do burnouts with, I sit there and smoke them in 4th gear until they pop. So far I only toast synchros, which has more to do with unrelated driving habits I have.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (J. Davis)

Azenis are a pre-slick tho, i dont see why not warm them up, from what ive heard they get stickier when hott , but too hott and they get umm well yea not good,heh, i used to have a pair but never heated them up.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (igotyofire)

If you get your Azenis good and hot like you think you'd want a set of slicks, they turn to garbage as soon as they cool down. Currently a set of Azenis lasts me 4000 miles, and the last half of that is significantly degraded performance, and I try NOT to spin them any more than I have to when trying for a good launch.

I've also had less than zero luck with Azenis on the track, they just seem to spin uncontrollably on the rubber embedded into the track surface.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:23 AM

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (J. Davis)

if your car has enough power just leave it in first and I use to drop it like @ 5000 and feather the gas and if you have enough power and you know how to do it you will keep on burning out.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (BoostedsiR)

I did some searching on this topic recently and heres what i came up with from all the guys running 2.0-2.1 with azenis

Theres no need for a burnout, go around the water box and give them a few spins to clean off the debris. So just do a quick first gear burnout turning the wheels a few times and save your 2nd gear burnout for the slicks. Lower the tire pressure slowly but best results i saw were around 20 psi. I noticed the poeple running 2.2+ were running higher psi 30+.
The rest just depends on the driver.

Modified by quikB18B at 11:46 AM 1/7/2004
Old 01-07-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good research quikB18B. Do you get the debree off in the water box or after it? Do you even drive through the water box (i never do... i dont burn out either.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cyphear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cyphear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good research quikB18B. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, he said everything I said on the subject after a netsearch. And to think I learned what I know from hands-on experience and talking to F-body guys at the track a couple of different times.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Azenis are great for the street racing when New. I would drop the pressure to 15psi, do a burnout and I was set.
I used them at the track only becuz i couldn't get my slicks (24.5x8x13) on my car becuz my coilovers seized and i couldn't raise the car.

I went aroung the Burnout Box (water) and did a small burnout on the side. With a stock B16, T3/T4, crappy tuning and 14lbs of boost I spun all of 1st and 2nd gears. This happen every time. I would not suggest these tires to anyone for track use unless you get alot of passes and you're able to practice alot. the car still ran a 13.1 spining 1s and 2nd gears but it would have ran a better time had it not spun at much.

BTW, Azenis are not Pre-slicks or drag radials. they're more like an Autocross tire.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM

EXACTLY! Azenis are an auto X tire. The sidewalls are much too stiff to get a good launch on a drag strip. Buy tires for what you are going to be doing with your car. If you drag, get slicks or drag radials.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EXACTLY! Azenis are an auto X tire. The sidewalls are much too stiff to get a good launch on a drag strip. Buy tires for what you are going to be doing with your car. If you drag, get slicks or drag radials. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand that slick/drag radials are for drag...but i want to keep as close as street driving as possible...i don't run slicks or drag tires on the street....my goal is to be in the 13's on a street tire....i want to go full out drag, i would get a set of slicks..but i'm seeing what my car can do at the drags on my street set-up.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R-1303)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R-1303 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand that slick/drag radials are for drag...but i want to keep as close as street driving as possible...i don't run slicks or drag tires on the street....my goal is to be in the 13's on a street tire....i want to go full out drag, i would get a set of slicks..but i'm seeing what my car can do at the drags on my street set-up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with 255hp you should be okay with the Azenis. anything above 300hp and you will be wasting your time. just get the BFG and save time, you won't regret it.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: warming up the azenis?? (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Theres no need for a burnout, go around the water box and give them a few spins to clean off the debris.Lower the tire pressure slowly but best results i saw were around 20 psi. I noticed the poeple running 2.2+ were running higher psi 30+.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what i do!!... i try to avoid the water, then as soon as i'm past it, i rev it up a little and drop the clutch some.... just get them spinning a little, my car is usually moving slowly while i'm doing it.. i dont see the point of sitting there and smoking street tires... just get them warm. I found best results around 21 psi...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:39 AM

Thats cool. I can understand that you have a goal et on street tires. In that situation, I would probably go with a tire with a similar tread pattern but a softer sidewall. The Azenis sidewall doesn't allow the contact patch to elongate on the launch, causing wheel-hop or spinning. Maybe try paradas, proxes, or es 100s?

***Don't get me wrong, I Love my azenis...I have just come to the realization that they aren't great for drag.***