Notices

Wanting to boost the stock motor but have room to grow....asked before but what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to boost the stock motor but have room to grow....asked before but what you guys think?

Ok I have been piecing together a turbo kit and parts to turbo my B16a2. But the one thing I can't figure out is what turbo to run and manifold. Now I know the log manifolds spool fast and maintain a/c but my car has no a/c. Then there is ramhorn, topmount, and mini ram I know I dont need a topmount right now but should I run a log now or a ramhorn? i am just lost to get a manifold and small turbo for now then later run a better flowing mani and bigger turbo. Right now I have the following....

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
HKS SSQV BOV
Custom IC Piping
Greddy FMIC
Tial 38mm Wastegate 0.6 Bar
Hondata S100
Still need gauges and fuel injectors

but with this on a stock b16a2 running prolly 6 to 8psi what turbo and manifold should i use? cause after i get this done i will rebuild this car to get up to 400 and eventually not soon but eventually get around 500 to 600. thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Wanting to boost the stock motor but have room to grow....asked before but what you guys think?

anyone?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: New York in the summer, South Carolina in the winter
Default Re: Wanting to boost the stock motor but have room to grow....asked before but what you guys think?

inline pro or a ram horn IMO
Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nytosc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ram horn</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will function now and still have room to "grow" as you stated you plan to do. Can make good power with a quality ramhorn manifold
Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

peakboost ramhorn ftw
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM

see that is what i was thinking myself, but what turbo should i run on this manifold? the fmic i got is dented up a little but only the fins i plan to upgrade that later but i want to upgrade the least amount of parts as possible. so what turbo would be the best to run on a stock motor and have some room for growth maybe not 600hp but at least 400hp. thanks so much
Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Im running a 57 trim .63 turbine housing garrett hybrid turbo and makin 400whp. It spools pretty damn good for a street car yet still has some pull up top. If you decided later you wanted to gain some more peak power you could always upgrade to a .83 turbine housing. Either that or an SC61 never hurt anybody
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

So are you running a Garrett T3/TO4E 57 trim w/ .63 a/r? That is what I first looked at but again I am no expert at turbos. I am going to run a peakboost ftw ramhorn though, does anyone know of a good company to order it from? I hope my 38mm wastegate can last a while though. Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM

So are you running a Garrett T3/TO4E 57 trim w/ .63 a/r? That is what I first looked at but again I am no expert at turbos. I am going to run a peakboost ftw ramhorn though, does anyone know of a good company to order it from? I hope my 38mm wastegate can last a while though. Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Yeah thats what i got, and im about at its effeciency range power wise. Still pulls hard on the top end with my cam setup but an SC61 is a great turbo alternative to something like a GT35R depending on what housing and size you get on a budget.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 PM

cool is 620 plus shipping a good price for that turbo. i dont know what is a good price and isn't lol. but i think i will stick with that for now maybe upgrade to ball bearing later on when i build the gsr for my car, but for now this should do fine with a little room to grow as well. cause my first build is whatever i can pull safety on stock internals then lightly build the bottom end and hopefully get close to 400 then maybe short for 600 out of the gsr. but thanks alot for ur help....oh and is a 38mm wastegate good enough to keep for my setup now and later on up to 400? thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be fine with a log for what you're doing.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i payed $550 shipped from b18turbo a year ago, maybe you should check out my build thread.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

I paid 620$ for my garrett a few years back from cheapturbo.com and was a decent deal. 550$ for a garrett would be awesome. Also a 38mm wastegate will do just fine, just make sure and get a quality unit like tial.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:14 AM

i am stock boosting the motor now but later on building for more so why end up spending 250 for a log then upgrade to 900 for a ramhorn? then the log would be a waste, i beleive i can get my ultimate power out of a ramhorn so i will never have to touch my mani again unless it gets damage during my experience with boost lol.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Shouldnt have too, my AFI is sporting lifetime warranty. Best to find a good company since the majority will have a warranty. Long as they dont go out of business
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM

yea well that is my plan to find a warranty mani thanks what gauges should i run? oil press and boost/vac
Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

oil pressure and boost/vac are a must but i also like oil temp and water temp in digital gauges. Wideband doesnt hurt either
Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM

i wasn't gettin a wideband until i build my gsr, since i am not running much boost as of right now. later on i will get a water and oil temp gauge as well for a wideband. but for now i think boost/vac and oil press should be fine. got a greddy turbo timer today and looking for a boost controller unless i go with the hondata and use that as my boost controller.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 AM

525cc fuel injectors to build to run a stock turbo with?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
*insert here*

that should be fine but realize to make more power more fuel is usually a valid part of the equation.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (VTECisSeXY)

oh i know but i am just wondering if 525 would be good to run on a stock block that is boosted to prolly 7 psi. cause i am running a 255lph walbro fuel pump with them.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (B18Sleeper)

ok running a hondata s100 can only work on a obd1 ecu so what is the jumper wire they have? does that convert obd2 to obd1 or do i need to get a obd1 ecu and get the conversion harness?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">525cc fuel injectors to build to run a stock turbo with? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those will work but like mentioned i always buy parts that have room to grow. With boost, it always gets turned up so plan for it lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok running a hondata s100 can only work on a obd1 ecu so what is the jumper wire they have? does that convert obd2 to obd1 or do i need to get a obd1 ecu and get the conversion harness? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im assuming your OBD2 right now. In most scenerios you would need an OBD1 ecu w/ an OBD2-1 conversion harness.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM

yes but to big of injectors or a stock motor is not a good idea. and what obd1 ecu should i use?

Quick Reply: Wanting to boost the stock motor but have room to grow....asked before but what you guys think?