Notices

Want to turbo a stock B18C

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to turbo a stock B18C

Hey guys, I just picked me up a teg with a B18C motor. Is that a GSR motor? or is it a type R motor? It has a red valve cover, the gearing/ transmission is super short and it has an LSD trans. I traided my corolla for it so I would be stoked if it really is a type r.

Any way, I am seaching up turbo kits for this car and landed on some GO-Autoworks turbo kits. Are these any good? they use Tial waste gates and BOV. You can choose what size turbo/ trim you want. and are in my buget of $3k This car already has a hondata s300 and I am used to working with this program so I will be tunning with this. Fuel pump, fuel injectors and FPR are on the list of parts.

I will be shooting for a safe HP for this stock block. Around 300-400HP? Do you think I would need to lower the compression by using a thicker head gasket? May as well replace head studs with ARP studs and new timing belt/ water pump. Other than head gasket, I will not be touching this motor internally. I want to leave it as it is. I was told by the owner the motor had around 50k miles. No oil leaks or water leaks and no smoke out the exhaust.

Parts that came with the car:
AEM UGEO wideband
Hondata S300
was told it had a Walbro? not sure
DC header that is bent real bad ( bottom out on something)
Short shifter
New Exedy street clutch (really soft feel) will need a diffrent clutch
thats all for the power train side

Parts I have on list to order

GO-AUTOWORKS street kit X
System Contents:
- GO-AUTOWORKS New Ceramic Coated Cast Iron Manifold
- GO-AUTOWORKS SS 2.5" or 3" A/C downpipe
- GO-AUTOWORKS 38mm dumptube
- Bullseye Power S200 Extended Tip turbocharger w/ Stainless .55 a/r housing
- Tial 38mm wastegate
- Tial 50mm blow off valve
- GO-AUTOWORKS Pro Oil Kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS Race charge pipe kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS bar & plate intercooler
- (6) high quality silicone reinforced couplers
- (12) stainless T bolt clamps
- GO-AUTOWORKS Hardware Kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Blanket
-GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Filter Kit
Deatschwerks 300LPH fuel pump
Deatschwerks 800CC fuel injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Thermal R&D 3'' exhaust
New clutch, not sure what type or brand. Any sugestions?

Thats all for now. If any of you have sugestions please feel free to help me figure out what parts is needed. Nothing crazy here, just a daily driver/ once a month drag race car. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM
can I haz?

Default Re: Want to turbo a stock B18C

depends if its the B18C1 or B18C5, you should be able to see the code on the front of the motor near the transmission.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Trial User

We have only been able to get 360 with stock pistons and rods after that they have always cracked piston ring lances.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at racebums build thread he had a good set up.what your planning is risky
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the head say? p72 or pr3?

sure it could be a poormans, but if you got a real itr dont boost that **** it would be a waste...

if you really want boost sell the itr longblock and find a gsr and boost that IMO but everyone is different
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtegkauai
Hey guys, I just picked me up a teg with a B18C motor. Is that a GSR motor? or is it a type R motor? It has a red valve cover, the gearing/ transmission is super short and it has an LSD trans. I traided my corolla for it so I would be stoked if it really is a type r.

Any way, I am seaching up turbo kits for this car and landed on some GO-Autoworks turbo kits. Are these any good? they use Tial waste gates and BOV. You can choose what size turbo/ trim you want. and are in my buget of $3k This car already has a hondata s300 and I am used to working with this program so I will be tunning with this. Fuel pump, fuel injectors and FPR are on the list of parts.

I will be shooting for a safe HP for this stock block. Around 300-400HP? Do you think I would need to lower the compression by using a thicker head gasket? May as well replace head studs with ARP studs and new timing belt/ water pump. Other than head gasket, I will not be touching this motor internally. I want to leave it as it is. I was told by the owner the motor had around 50k miles. No oil leaks or water leaks and no smoke out the exhaust.

Parts that came with the car:
AEM UGEO wideband
Hondata S300
was told it had a Walbro? not sure
DC header that is bent real bad ( bottom out on something)
Short shifter
New Exedy street clutch (really soft feel) will need a diffrent clutch
thats all for the power train side

Parts I have on list to order

GO-AUTOWORKS street kit X
System Contents:
- GO-AUTOWORKS New Ceramic Coated Cast Iron Manifold
- GO-AUTOWORKS SS 2.5" or 3" A/C downpipe
- GO-AUTOWORKS 38mm dumptube
- Bullseye Power S200 Extended Tip turbocharger w/ Stainless .55 a/r housing
- Tial 38mm wastegate
- Tial 50mm blow off valve
- GO-AUTOWORKS Pro Oil Kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS Race charge pipe kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS bar & plate intercooler
- (6) high quality silicone reinforced couplers
- (12) stainless T bolt clamps
- GO-AUTOWORKS Hardware Kit
- GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Blanket
-GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Filter Kit
Deatschwerks 300LPH fuel pump
Deatschwerks 800CC fuel injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Thermal R&D 3'' exhaust
New clutch, not sure what type or brand. Any sugestions?

Thats all for now. If any of you have sugestions please feel free to help me figure out what parts is needed. Nothing crazy here, just a daily driver/ once a month drag race car. Thank you in advance.
Power goal is Very risky on the stock block like that. I'd use the Go-Autowerks Tubular log over the cast manifold, and change the turbo from the BEP to a Garrrett. Put your goals on the stock block to about 300whp to be safe.

Best you can do there.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing i'll note is that if you are willing to remove the head then why not just remove the lot and do it properly with forged internals. You seem like you have some money behind you so why not do it properly ? Other than that its a gamble...
Old 04-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. So even if I add a thicker head gasket and shoot for 300hp, that would also be risky? This is just my beater/ daily driver car, I just want to make it fun to drive.

On the block it says B18C and on the head it says 9/8 PR3-2 and on the trans S80 with an LSD marking in black.

I really dont want to spend more than $6k tops on this car. just looking for a bit more power than stock. Also for the experiance as I never built a boosted honda before, but have tuned 3 cars on our new super flow dyno at our school.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You got an ITR swap don't waste a good ITR by boosting it
Old 04-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siregcivic
You got an ITR swap don't waste a good ITR by boosting it
Should I go for nitrous instead? That would be cheaper for me. I would probly go direct port this time with Nitrous Express instead of ZEX. Should run me around 1500$ or less haha
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Should I go for nitrous instead? That would be cheaper for me. I would probly go direct port this time with Nitrous Express instead of ZEX. Should run me around 1500$ or less haha
Nah. you'll just get pissed getting the bottle refilled later. Just get those internals done. 300-320whp can be done on the stock block with minimal risk, but that's the MAXIMUM it will take. If wanting more, you need to change internals. at that point, just get another block and work with it, and leave the prestine internals of the block alone. you can get an empty block for a couple hundred bucks, and work from the ground up.. Best way to invest $6K. because type R enthusiasts WILL NOT purchase a Type R block torn apart to have turbo components in them.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^agreed there. im picking up a used usdm b18c1 with tranny for 200 bucks which i will be using to do a complete tear down and rebuild, itr is too expensive to do that too. as far as just boosting it i say go for it but as previously stated stay around 300.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you find an engine and trans that cheap? everything I find is an arm and a leg.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha sounds shady as hell just a bare gsr block with a crank in it is 200. thats pretty sweet you got an itr in there op boost it safely 299whp!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

motor is till in the car running the guy bought my na tuned ecu yesterday, car has 378000 km on it and hes puttin in an itr swap next week so i told him to sell me the motor and trans for 200. still runs great but u can tell its getting tired.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also will buy anything b series if its a good deal, i buy parts as i find them and save them for later.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Nah. you'll just get pissed getting the bottle refilled later. Just get those internals done. 300-320whp can be done on the stock block with minimal risk, but that's the MAXIMUM it will take. If wanting more, you need to change internals. at that point, just get another block and work with it, and leave the prestine internals of the block alone. you can get an empty block for a couple hundred bucks, and work from the ground up.. Best way to invest $6K. because type R enthusiasts WILL NOT purchase a Type R block torn apart to have turbo components in them.
Hey, thaks for you input. My last build in my sig. was nitrous and I did hate it because when the temps changed, so did the pressures. During time trials I would run quick and when the races start at night I would slow down as the temp. cools thru the night. That made it hard for me to be consistent. Refilling bottles wasnt bad since we have a station here at the shop.

Any way, now I want to experience a boosted car on the track so Im wanting to boost this car that I just got for a steal. You remember me asking you about your turbos right? Thats when I was planning for 600hp on my other nitrous integra. Well for this car, I just want to have fun so anything around 250-300hp is fine with me. Thats why I was looking at those Go AUTOWORKS turbo kits. There street kit that I have in my parts list has a simple log manifold and not sure about the turbo (any input on there turbos?) and there piping and intercooler looks well made too. Thank you for you help, I really appriciate it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the go auto kits are awesome, u cant go wrong with them, if all u want is 300 then the 50 trim is the most responsive of their choices and will get u there no problem.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Hey, thaks for you input. My last build in my sig. was nitrous and I did hate it because when the temps changed, so did the pressures. During time trials I would run quick and when the races start at night I would slow down as the temp. cools thru the night. That made it hard for me to be consistent. Refilling bottles wasnt bad since we have a station here at the shop.

Any way, now I want to experience a boosted car on the track so Im wanting to boost this car that I just got for a steal. You remember me asking you about your turbos right? Thats when I was planning for 600hp on my other nitrous integra. Well for this car, I just want to have fun so anything around 250-300hp is fine with me. Thats why I was looking at those Go AUTOWORKS turbo kits. There street kit that I have in my parts list has a simple log manifold and not sure about the turbo (any input on there turbos?) and there piping and intercooler looks well made too. Thank you for you help, I really appriciate it.
PM'd
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro, just got my street x kit installed. Really great kit. Will create a thread in about 3 weeks cuz I gotta change out my cams. They were to big. Luckily someone came in with a NA build and needs my cams and he has itr cams we are gonna swap.

But stay tuned cuz its not finished yet!!!!

Btw, s200 turbo spools real quick on this 11.3.1 compression gsr
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and on pump 92
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek_si808
Hey bro, just got my street x kit installed. Really great kit. Will create a thread in about 3 weeks cuz I gotta change out my cams. They were to big. Luckily someone came in with a NA build and needs my cams and he has itr cams we are gonna swap.

But stay tuned cuz its not finished yet!!!!

Btw, s200 turbo spools real quick on this 11.3.1 compression gsr
Cool! so what web site did you order the kit from? I see your from hawaii, how was the shipping? Also is your motor built? That 11.3:1 compression is more than a stock type R right? Also did you upgrade to a tubular turbo manifold or did you stick with the cast iron one?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're almost better off selling that R engine since it's so valuable and buying something specific to your goals . the JDM ITR is a tough one on boost. i blew mine up, few other guys in the ITR forum have as well.

unless....you ran e85. or meth injection

if you did that this whole project becomes so much safer.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool! so what web site did you order the kit from? I see your from hawaii, how was the shipping? Also is your motor built? That 11.3:1 compression is more than a stock type R right? Also did you upgrade to a tubular turbo manifold or did you stick with the cast iron one?
I actually ordered it directly for GO-autowroks themselves. Just go on their website and email them. Greg will be helpfull enough to help you out and custom your order! He'll even create a invoice till you are ready to pay!

Shipping was only about $200 or so. Added a lot of parts to my order so it cost a few $ more. Yes the motor was built for NA with forged pistons and golden eagle rods etc... Yes it is more than a stock type r. Well if I've known I would have gotten the tubular manifold... But my tuner only realized it would have been better till after I got it even when I showed him my lay out of parts I was in te process of getting. But the cast Mano is awesome as well since my car does have ac and ps...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw id loose the FPR unless your going for 500+ IMO... I'm not running one.... Andaye upgrade to Injector dynamics 1000cc injectors... And for clutch Id go with CC stage 4 or spec 3.

And all these parts you can get from Greg!

Quick Reply: Want to turbo a stock B18C