Notices

Want to try making my own catch can, opinions on my design

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want to try making my own catch can, opinions on my design

Hi guys,

I was thinking about fabbing up my own catch can. I was gonn use either a 2-3" diameter X 4" high metal pipe or a metal box measuring 2x2x4 inches.

Now I didn't wanna use steel wool for baffling material. Instead I wanted to weld in a plate close to the top above the 2 side ports. The plate would have some louvers on it so that oil or vapor wont splash past, but air can go through.

The two side ports would be pretty simple, just some barbed fittings with the other end threaded. I would drill and tap the side of the can below the baffle and screw in these barbed adapters. The barbed fitting would be the same size as the two Honda fittings that I screw into the back of my B18C block.

For the bottom drain port I would probably put a fitting with a plug or a faucet style fitting.

Now the top port where I'm putting the breather filter is my main concern. I wanted to just drill and tap it and put in another barbed fitting about the same diameter as the stock breather nipple that you see on valve covers. That way I can use those breather filters with the small diameter neck. Or is it necessary for my to get a breather filter with a large diameter neck?

what do you guys think?

Old 05-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to try making my own catch can, opinions on my design (BlueShadow)

bump

I just thought of a few other ideas that would make this box easier to build. I dont have a tap and die set. So I figure instead of paying somebody thread my holes or buying my own tap and die set I would just drill a hole and weld on a nut that I would screw my barbed fittings into.

what do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Want to try making my own catch can, opinions on my design (BlueShadow)

Sounds good to me...

I used a similar design for mine. Very simple, I used steel wool and barb fittings for both the tubes and the filter.

So far it works well... the only thing I would change is I wish I would have put some kind of drain on the bottom, as it is the only way I drain it is I unhook it and just pour it out.

I'm sure yours will look a lot nicer than mine. Oh, also, I wish there was a way that I could tell how much oil has accumulated, like some kind of dip stick or a clear sections that shows the level.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to try making my own catch can, opinions on my design (EJ1 wilcox)

Yah I'm having a tought time figureing out how I wanna make can drain feature that is clean. Also for the two side ports does it matter if they are side by side o one on top of the other?

Also What daimeter line do I need to use to be able to hook up to those Honda nipples?

these ones:

Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell...I made my own out of PVC...

Shush, dont tell anyone.