Notices

want to know whats a beter motor to boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to know whats a beter motor to boost

i got a b16a short block and a h23 long block today (the head is bad on the h23). what would be a beter block for turbo? what is the stock compresson on the h23 with the h22 head.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (4ghatch)

search
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (Evil EG)

no time to search . (i gotta tear these down and see what we got) shop whoring my post !! happy eater
Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here are the pics -

jdm b16a -

H23a1-

again the head has at least 1 bad exhaust valve on it. ill be taking off the head tonight and posting the pics
Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the b16 you could just throw some pistons and rods in it. and run a nice boost setting. now the h23 would have more tq and be a little easier to drive but if you want it to be reliable above 5psi you might have to sleeve it, but im not 100% sure. whats the budget i think thats what will decide what you use
Old 04-08-2007, 09:21 AM

Prelude motors are notorious for needing to be sleeved on high boost set-ups.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM

what r u putting it in, the h23 is gonna bet better.... but i wouldnt take the time to put an h23 in a civic chassy... a b16 turbo would def be better...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (leeminho86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smallpox33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what r u putting it in, the h23 is gonna bet better.... but i wouldnt take the time to put an h23 in a civic chassy... a b16 turbo would def be better...</TD></TR></TABLE>

With a comment like that are you going give anything to back it up? What make you think that it needs sleeves? It has nothing to do with "High Boost". Its a closed deck block.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (SlowReaction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowReaction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With a comment like that are you going give anything to back it up? What make you think that it needs sleeves? It has nothing to do with "High Boost". Its a closed deck block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what lol? i didnt say anything about sleeves, naturally the h23 will have way more torque, you can easily get about 250 whp/trq out of an h23 in an accord.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowReaction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With a comment like that are you going give anything to back it up? What make you think that it needs sleeves? It has nothing to do with "High Boost". Its a closed deck block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you can go to the Prelude forum and ask around. It's even up on a sticky I believe. Do you really think I just pull this stuff from my ***? I thought it was just common knowledge H series generally needed to be sleeved when going for high horsepower applications. Most don't recommend over 7psi on stock internals, however it all depends on the tune.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to read up some more before you pull it out your *** so you say. I dont need to go to prelude forum and ask I around i've had enough experince to know first hand. Let me ask you this, what exactly is the problem with the sleeve that need to be replace? Do they crack? You could push 25psi on a stock b-series sleeves w/pistons and rods and there wouldnt be a problem.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 PM

B series is completely different from an H series...how is that even relevant? It's the ringlands that cause problems on an H series with high boost, ask around because clearly you don't have any experience with boosted H series...maybe b series but that's not the argument.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok I've actually never owned a honda i just sit here and make stuff up. Your first saying that "high boost" h motors needs sleeves, now your saying h-series have weak ringlands? What do weak ringlands have to do with needing to be sleeved?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=783372
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316373

There's a couple for starters...in the stickied faq none the less...read up you jackass
Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowReaction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With a comment like that are you going give anything to back it up? What make you think that it needs sleeves? It has nothing to do with "High Boost". Its a closed deck block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What makes you think it doesn't need sleeves?

Here's the deal on H-series and boost:

--The blocks have FRM (fiber reinforced metal) sleeves and will not accept forged pistons without some nasty scarring of the cylinder walls.
--The stock engines weak point under boost is the ring landings on the stock pistons. They are thin and will be the first thing to 'blow'. Usually more than 7-8 psi will do it, but it depends on the tune.
--You want to run higher boost on any H-series you have to run forged pistons and therefore sleeves the block.
--Mahle has made some supposdly FRM-compatible forged pistons, but they haven't really been proven to work all the time. Search about that because I'm no expert...

F-series blocks have IRON sleeves and the H-series heads will bolt up to them.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (Hawkze_2.3)

my plans were to do the b16 std bore with srp 8.5:1 pistons and all new bearings. and s200 w/boost for tuning maybe 8-10 psi or so i still need a tranny
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What makes you think it doesn't need sleeves?

Here's the deal on H-series and boost:

--The blocks have FRM (fiber reinforced metal) sleeves and will not accept forged pistons without some nasty scarring of the cylinder walls.
--The stock engines weak point under boost is the ring landings on the stock pistons. They are thin and will be the first thing to 'blow'. Usually more than 7-8 psi will do it, but it depends on the tune.
--You want to run higher boost on any H-series you have to run forged pistons and therefore sleeves the block.
--Mahle has made some supposdly FRM-compatible forged pistons, but they haven't really been proven to work all the time. Search about that because I'm no expert...

F-series blocks have IRON sleeves and the H-series heads will bolt up to them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats all u need to know about the H motor.

Thanks for putting that up and ending this bickering.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats all u need to know about the H motor.

Thanks for putting that up and ending this bickering. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 PM

my question is for slow reaction or anyone that knows the answer to the question...how sure are you about the boostin up to 25lbs on b series stock internals curious cus a havea b20 im trying to boost stock and till i can save up money for sleeves and piston/rod.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 PM

Turboing an H series has proven to be a bitch, as stated about of course you have to sleeve it, 7-8 psi is all most will run on stock internals, some get away with 10. I've thought about trying mahle's but still undecided. You can drop a set of forged internals into a b series, buy yours looks perty fucked up. I'd go with the b most people seem to spend less to get the same amount or more power out of the H's.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96vtecI4)

Ok i already knew about the h22 to sleeve. The first guy stated that you can boost h22 cause he sleeves need to be replace but didnt even know why. Then he went to say the ringlands are weak. First off there nothing wrong with boosting a h22 more then 10 lbs or so you guy say. If your going to turbo your car take it to a tuner dont think your basemaps you get offline are going to work.

Also to guy that wanting to boost the b20. I wouldnt push it that high but you could do it with a very good tuner. B20 sleeve are weaker compared to a normal b-series block. The sleeve in a b20 are one piece sleeve making them weak between the cylinders.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: want to know whats a beter motor to boost (Mr Wonderfull)

I'd go with the b16a, but by no means would I accept a light hone on those rusty sleeves. By the looks of it, you may even have to deck it, it looks so corroded.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THe undisputed king of boost = b16 :D
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Max500)

Yessss boost the B16. Use the H23 as a boat anchor or a paperweight
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (Max500)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Max500 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THe undisputed king of boost = b16 :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except when there's a B18 or K20 around to dispute it.

Quick Reply: want to know whats a beter motor to boost