Notices

want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want

runnig a .42ar garrett T3 on my sohc

will the turboxs mbc help my spool time. I know there are multiple kinds off mbc's like a bleeder and such.

also if I get the zex 53900 (something like that) cam would the higher lift and longer duration help with increasing the engines ability to flow more?

I am hoping that the answer to both is yes.

Would I have to change my valve springs and retainers if I want to keep stock redline (stock bottom end with arp rod and head bolts)

also I have a new stock clutch. stupid but should I put it in or get the ACT clutch kit

350 for the Heavy Duty PP/street disc

or

450 for the extreme PP/street disc

10lbs of boost so ~220 whp
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (yusoslo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yusoslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">runnig a .42ar garrett T3 on my sohc

will the turboxs mbc help my spool time. I know there are multiple kinds off mbc's like a bleeder and such.

also if I get the zex 53900 (something like that) cam would the higher lift and longer duration help with increasing the engines ability to flow more?

I am hoping that the answer to both is yes.

Would I have to change my valve springs and retainers if I want to keep stock redline (stock bottom end with arp rod and head bolts)

also I have a new stock clutch. stupid but should I put it in or get the ACT clutch kit

350 for the Heavy Duty PP/street disc

or

450 for the extreme PP/street disc

10lbs of boost so ~220 whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not sure how much, even if, a boost controller would affect spool time.. But i can tell you dont want a cam with high lift and longer duration as u stated. A cam with High lift and SHORTER duration is wats better for force induction applications. If you want to keep stock redline, putting springs in is not a necessity, although it it should be done as a precaution and for reliabilty concerns. Even though you have a new stock clutch, its not going to hold that long especially if u drop the clutch frequently (peeling out especially) but being nice to it will help it last longer. ACT clutch is def a good idea. hope this helped
Old 03-25-2004, 08:20 AM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (J337_UNIT)

yes I was mistaken with the cam, but I heard great things about the zex cam on turbo sohc's.

The manual boost controller regulates the WG to holding the pressure longer, not allowing it to bleed off at lower boost levels.

still, which clutch is better for my application HD or XX
Old 03-25-2004, 10:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yusoslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes I was mistaken with the cam, but I heard great things about the zex cam on turbo sohc's.

The manual boost controller regulates the WG to holding the pressure longer, not allowing it to bleed off at lower boost levels.

still, which clutch is better for my application HD or XX</TD></TR></TABLE>

i personally didnt even know zex made a cam..hey look, if it makes good power on boosted sohc's then i would say go for it. From what i have read and heard , if u run a really small wastegate spring, say a 4 psi spring, then try to bring the boost up to 10 with that spring, you may get boost spiking or creeping or a combination. I have no experience on boost controllers and i really try to think about if it would really affect how quick a turbo spools up and i just cant see it happening. In other words i dont think a boost controller does affect how quick you spool..but dont quote me, i could be wrong.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yusoslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

still, which clutch is better for my application HD or XX</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go with the HD, I am making about that power, and have the XX it's really overkill and not worth it. The HD will hold much more power than 220 whp.

Jake D.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (BlackKnight7)

in response to J337_UNIT
I would never double a wastegates spring rate, that is where the problem lies, or so I have been told.

I plan on using a .5 bar and up it to 10psi

The manual boost controller tricks the wastegate into not seeing boost for 2.8 psi in my case (10 - 7.2). This is the theory I have read up on

I just want to know if the TurboXS mbc will do this for me, because the bleeder style mbc do not help spool.

and to BlackKnight7

thanks for the info, I thought the xx might be too much for daily driving.

I'm full of questions......check this out. Clutches are rated in torque clamping capacity. You never hear a clutch manufacture mention how much hp the clutch holds but more so the torque. So in a turbo honda that makes ~240 wheel ftlbs and ~400 whp which clutch would you want????

just a tid-bit I was curious about
Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 PM

The Act hd/ss is capable of handling 240 ft lbs of torque, it should do fine, save the $100 and spend it on a boost controller
Old 03-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yusoslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in response to J337_UNIT
I would never double a wastegates spring rate, that is where the problem lies, or so I have been told.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this true and any other opinions on this?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 AM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (NyQuiL)

bump for anyone with info on the MBC
Old 03-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is true...

i was told that you can not boost past double your wastegate springs rate plus half... example. i have a 7 psi spring so 7 psi x 2 = 14psi then take half of that which is 7 and add that to 14 psi which is 21 psi total..... when i wetn to teh dyno we couldnt make any more than 20 psi even with the vauum lines to the wastegate unhooked.... it wold not boost past 20 psi.. and my boost gauge is off by 1 psi so those calculations are dead on...

i plan on upgrading to a 1 bar spring or 14 psi spring and then hopefully i can make more than over 30 psi then.

hope that helps
Old 03-26-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (nextelbuddy)

bump for answers
Old 03-26-2004, 11:07 AM

Increase spool time??? I think you want to decrease it.. With a boost controller you can do this but youll be adding boost at the same time.. If you running let say 5 psi then from about 3 psi up it will spool slower until it gets to 5 psi.. If you up the boost to 10 psi then it will spool quick up to 7 or so and then slow down again until 10..

This will not decrease the boost threshold time but will decrease the total spool time..
Old 03-26-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: want to increase spool time, what MBC do I want (tgreaves)

Yeah I dont know what I was thinking with the title. I want to have a quicker spool.

Right now I have a .5 bar spring and will be boosting 10lbs

With a MBC would I see any decrease in spool time if I swap the .5 bar spring with a 3psi one?

And what about the whole theory I was talking about, when you shouldnt double the springs rating?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:23 AM

bump
Old 03-27-2004, 02:32 PM
GSRswapandslow.

the cam will help a LOT

high lift is ALWAYS a good thing. just dial out some overlap and it's awesome

i'm currnently working on a project and am using my RLZ stage 2 cams for boost...

and don't expect a REALLY fast spool with a BC...if it helps ANY...it won't be much. you basically will have to deal with what you have
Old 03-27-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: (calmweed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calmweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Understood?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I had already said this in the post earlier on.

But still thanks for the second opinion.

I guess what I heard about some MBC not helping spool time was false. Oh well

BUt for my final FREAKIN question which I have asked over and over

Who uses the Turbo XS

did you notice any difference?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:06 PM
GSRswapandslow.

Default Re: (calmweed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calmweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First of all you are throwing in info that is irrelevant, second of all you are wrong. a MBC will help spool times for my given reasons. It will do nothing but help so bah, you are wrong. MBC will make quite a difference on an internal gate actually so BAH! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong? how am i wrong????

and, no, the mbc will not make HUGE gains in spool time. i've worked on MANY turbo cars, and have yet to see it being worth anything other than changing boost levels.