Notices

Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump

Well i was bored, so i decided to switch out my fuel pump, haha. Anyways, i got a hold of a Supra TT Fuel Pump and i heard great things about it, im currently running a Walbro 255. Man, by clearly looking at both, the Supra TT fuel pump punks the Walbro, its a huge bitch! It was kind of hard putting it in my car, it barely fit in the opening, i had to wiggle it a couple of times before it dropped it. Noise wise, the Supra is real quite compared to the Walbro's loud whining noise. I hope this thing works out at the end, here are the pics...

Old 12-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (TurboDANDEE)

Bitchin!

The Walbro is good pump for the money, but I can't stand the way it whines. AFA flow...I saw a chart once awhile back that basically showed that the Supra pump was just as strong as the Walbro...damn impressive for a factory pump that's whisper quiet!

Sonny
Old 12-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would that fit 98-02 accords?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bitchin!

The Walbro is good pump for the money, but I can't stand the way it whines. AFA flow...I saw a chart once awhile back that basically showed that the Supra pump was just as strong as the Walbro...damn impressive for a factory pump that's whisper quiet!

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats werid is that the supra guys use dual walbros when they are done with the factory pump i guess the noise is not a factor when making there power
Old 12-03-2003, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (b18bturbo)

Would anyone know if i need to re-calibrate my fuel maps? im too lazy to whip out my laptop to my car
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (TurboDANDEE)

i tried putting a maxima fuel pump in my car once, no dice. it fit perfectly and the clip fit and everything but it would not prime. same voltage and everything. made no sense to me.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (b18bturbo)

You know those pumps run on 6 volts when off of boost in a Supra then when they start boosting the ecu starts feeding them 12 volts
Old 12-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be a good idea if the Supra pump was new. if not, why would you want a Old Fuel pump.....seems like you're asking for trouble.

i've had my Walbro for about 2 yrs and i'm about to get a new one. they have a life expectance and i don't want it to go out while i'm racing. besides, a Walbro is only $80-90 New.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (Killer_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killer_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it would be a good idea if the Supra pump was new. if not, why would you want a Old Fuel pump.....seems like you're asking for trouble.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it came off my friend's car, so i know how many miles thats on it, and its fairly new... alot newer than my Walbro
Old 12-03-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (TurboDANDEE)

Come by and drop off that Walbro so I can atleast get some $$$.
I remember reading a site with the specs on the pump. I don't remember anywhere where it states that it get's 6 volts until boost. Although it did say that it can go up to 16 volts. I think at 12 volts it feeds 265lph, then at 14 volts it was like 280lph, and at 16 volts it gets 295lph. That was a few years ago though.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo Si)

i almost bought a supra one but got a walbro..er HOLLEY pump. gss342(so the high pressure 255) and its DAMN quiet! compared to other peoples walbro's ive heard..the holley is hardly there.(noise wise)
Old 12-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiRkid)

I've heard the bosch 044 pump is much more reliable compared to the walbro. Its the same one the http://www.theoldone.com sells

http://www.theoldone.com/components/fuelpumps/

Old 12-03-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (olsonjus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by olsonjus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard the bosch 044 pump is much more reliable compared to the walbro. Its the same one the http://www.theoldone.com sells

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm also interested in the bosch? Does anyone have flow numbers on it?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (olsonjus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by olsonjus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard the bosch 044 pump is much more reliable compared to the walbro. Its the same one the http://www.theoldone.com sells

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're going to have a hard time sticking that thing in the tank
Old 12-03-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (D-Man)

Why would that matter, the Honda wire harness is going to send the pump 12volts? Unless your thinking of longevity issues.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (Reilly)

I guess some of you guys are trying to have a cockfight with fuel pumps because physical size means very little when comparing intank fuel pumps. We have been discussing the Walbro/Supra TT pump battle on RX-7 boards for years and the Supra pump only outperforms the Walbro when the Supra pump is hotwired at 14v while the Walbro is running at 12v . The lifespan of the Supra pump also suffers when you wire it at 14v. If you are making serious HP it is best to run dual intanks or a single external tank.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InfamousRS)

The external Walbro 255 high pressure flows more than the Bosch up to 75 or psi, above that the Bosch creeps ahead. There is no reason to run more pressure than that if you have engine management. And the external Walbro is only $140 at autoperformanceengineering.com

Ben
Old 12-03-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (Dee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Reilly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would that matter, the Honda wire harness is going to send the pump 12volts? Unless your thinking of longevity issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes,thats what I was thinking about...longevity

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess some of you guys are trying to have a cockfight with fuel pumps because physical size means very little when comparing intank fuel pumps. We have been discussing the Walbro/Supra TT pump battle on RX-7 boards for years and the Supra pump only outperforms the Walbro when the Supra pump is hotwired at 14v while the Walbro is running at 12v . The lifespan of the Supra pump also suffers when you wire it at 14v. If you are making serious HP it is best to run dual intanks or a single external tank.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that's why I went with a 375lph bosch external
Old 12-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plus a walbro can support higher fuel pressures, the supra pump can't... Jason
Old 12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (littlebluecrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littlebluecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus a walbro can support higher fuel pressures, the supra pump can't... Jason</TD></TR></TABLE>

how high?? for example, how much Horse Power can the High Pressure 255 Walbro support with stock lines ?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (Killer_B)

Actually neither pump likes high fuel psi. The Bosch pump is required when you use an FMU or fuel psi's over 80psi.

Modified by Dee at 5:12 PM 12/4/2003
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was gonna use the bosch pump but the one i bought was broken when i went to install it kidkutz, still owes me money for it
Old 12-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump (SiRkid)

great info.

so honda appilcation feeds 12vts to their fuel pump were as supraTT only needs 6vtz. so by doing so you would be killing the lifespan of the supraTT fuel pump correct?

also are gsr and civic D16 fuel pumps the same out put? i migh just need a little more not a lot.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The mk4 supra has a fuel pump computer that controls voltage to the pump. A lot of BPU supras will bypass the fuel pump computer and run 12v to the pump all the time. The pumps last a long time and I havn't heard of anyone having on fail. Although most people that run big boost switch over to dual walbros because they can outlfow the supra pumps.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Re: (rocketlude)

at higher fuel pressure the walbro flows more...theres been several of cases with supras with dual pumps, leaning out in full boost with 2 stock pumps, when they changed to walbros with all the rest things the same it fixed the problem.

also stock supra pumps dont like to be run at 12v all the time, they tend to wear out quicker and get hot at constant 12v and fuel pressure drops (lean out+high boost=kaboom)

another thing is the supra pumps draw alot more current then the walbros

fitment is another thing, even though the supra one is physically bigger, that doesnt mean it flows more as seen above....all these downfalls should be taken into account really only if you are making some serious power and at the tail end of the pumps flow capabilities. if you are only making around 300-400 the supra would probably be a great option, especially when you look at reliability associated with a factory denso part.

Quick Reply: Walbro 255 vs. Supra TT Fuel Pump