Notices

VW TDI owner here - need information on turbocharging a '95 Integra RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 PM
TDI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW TDI owner here - need information on turbocharging a '95 Integra RS

Hi, I have a TDI (turbo direct injection, diesel) pushing almost 22.5 PSI with a OEM GT17 turbo, and I have a buddy who has a stock '95 Integra RS that is interested in turbocharging it.

The TDI I have is already designed for turbo out of the factory so upgrading it is fairly easy, but I have a few questions regarding my friend's RS (which I believe is a b18b1).

Yes, I tried searching, but many topics do not have the information we need. We want a thorough run-down on piecing together a turbo kit for a Integra RS, like the following:

http://forum.vwsport.com/viewtopic.php?t=445
http://forum.vwsport.com/viewtopic.php?t=33

The above pages show every bits and peices needed to put together a turbo kit with OEM reliability. I have been unable to find a similar guideline for turbocharging a Acura so perhaps you can help us out here.

Here are the questions:

1) What is the safe PSI level the engine can handle with stock internals?

2) What will the horsepower and torque be like? With my diesel, it can be 200hp and 400 lb-ft. Quite the opposite, isn't it?

3) Will there need to be an upgrade in the fueling sys. to keep up with that PSI? e.g. fuel injectors, fuel pump?

4) What ECU upgrade would you recommend?

Besides the mandatory turbo IC and piping, etc., what else would you recommend?

Should any part of the stock '95 Integra RS drivetrain be upgraded to tolerate the extra power?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VW TDI owner here - need information on turbocharging a '95 Integra RS (TDI)

1. Stock internals? Depends on the size of the turbo. standard t3/t4 10psi with something like hondata.

2. With an LS/RS engine his hp should nearly equal his tq.

3. Hondata ECU. http://www.hondata.com. With this he will need upgraded fuel injectors, and an upgraded fuel pump. Tuning is then required. Or he could go the cheap route of a FMU and inline fuel pump.

4. See 3.

I would recommend getting a good exhaust manifold, such as inlinepro, a good downpipe, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, egt gauge, some sort of filter for the turbo, and very good oil feed and return lines. If running a 4an feed line use an inline restrictor also. Oh, and a good wastegate like Tial, unless he runs an internally gated turbo.

Clutch should be upgraded.

Search around. You will find exactly what your friend needs with doing that.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:20 PM
TDI

Default Re: VW TDI owner here - need information on turbocharging a '95 Integra RS (HXMan)

Thanks for the reply HXMan.

We'll figure out which turbo and its attached components (header, oil lines, etc.) to use, no problem. There's a few more questions we'd like answered:

Is there an interchangeable OEM Honda/Acura clutch that can handle a B18B1 motor w/ 7 to 9PSI? Or should we go aftermarket?

What's the max. torque the stock B18B1 clutch and tranny can handle, and the GSR, ITR? Is an LSD highly recommended? Or just a small improvement?

Is there also an OEM Honda/Acura fuel injector and pump that will provide enough fuel for 10PSI? We usually pull factory VW G60 (supercharged) injectors + chip and use them for custom turbo 8vs. They provide enough fuel for 200hp & equal or more torque.

The reason I ask is because we'd like an assuring OEM quality upgrade instead of going cheap aftermarket on everything.