Notices

Vteccrackhead - Building my dream street car, GSR Turbo EJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vteccrackhead - Building my dream street car, GSR Turbo EJ8

What's up Honda heads I have been a long time reader on HT , With my Turbo build in full swing I've decided to share it with you all. This thread will be a place for me to shares my build and also to gain advise, pointers and so on from the HT gurus. The car is a 99 Civic EX coupe that I bought bone stock in highschool. Currently the car has a JDM B16A and basically full bolt ons. On to the build.
My goal for this build is to have a really well built street car. Power goals are somewhere between 380whp and 450whp. Running 93 octane pump gas, and would like to be in a fairly safe range of boost. All of the parts I have accumulated are based on a ton of reaserch here on HT and sites like his one, as I have no real mentor for the build I would like to see everyone's opinions and advise on it. Greg from Goautoworks has helped me choose the right turbo kit for the setup and has helped me with some questions along the way. Thanks Greg. On to the build...

Block:
JDM B18C CSS 81.5
Manley H beam rods
Wiseco 10:1 pistons
Stock Crank micropolished and checked
King bearings
ARP mainstuds (block line honed ect)
Moroso 5.5 quart baffled oil pan
ITR oil pump / water pump / tensioner with arp bolt
gates racing blue belt
ATI superdamper
oil squirter plugs

Head:
B16A2 head stock ports
GSC T1 cams
Skunk 2 cam gears
Supertech 85 lb springs and Ti retainers
Stock hydraulic LMAS
Ferrea valve guides
Ferrea 6000 series STD valves intake and exhaust
Ferrea valve keepers
ARP headstuds
Oem Honda head gasket

Trans:
GSR transmission
LS 3rd and 4th
Quaife LSD
Autozone axles lol
Bought the transmission used so I need to go through it and change synchros, will probly use syncrotech carbon stuff.
Comp Twin disk clutch, reason for choosing this clutch will be longevity and when I decide to run e85 and turn the car up I don't want to buy another clutch.

Turbo Kit:
Goautoworks px600 AC friendly
Ram horn manifold
Turbonetics T-GA 5862 dual ball bearing .63 AR
Tial MVS and Tial blow off
3 port boost soilenoid and hardlines, pushlock fittings
2.5-3" down pipe
76mm skunk 2 megapower exhaust, no cat
WG dump to the ground

Fuel:
Walboro 255
-6an lines from pump to fuel rail and return
AEM high flow filter stock location
AEM fuel rail and FPR
No banjo fittings in the system
ID 1000 injectors

Electronics:
Hondata s300 v3 bluetooth and pwm boost installed
0bd2b to 0bd1 jumper
AEM X series gauges (AFR, boost, oil pressure)
OEM dizzy (obd2b), but i want to upgrade to a COP kit just not sure which kit.
4 bar map sensor (need to buy)
OEM tachometer hasn't worked since I went obd1 and I need to figure that out soon

Other parts:
Skunk 2 pro series intake manifold
Skunk 2 alpha 70 mm throttle body

Can't think of anything else right now.
The engine is at a reputable shop being built as I type.
Alamo Autosports in Arlington, Texas. Dropped it off 4 days ago. Very excited to get it back and keep making progress. I will need to purchace a traction bar and some sticky tires once I get it all together. And will be posting updates questions ect in this thread. All advise and input is welcome, I am glad to finally share my experiences here on HT !

Thanks for reading , Ian
Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Vteccrackhead - Building my dream street car, GSR Turbo EJ8

Originally Posted by Vtecrackhead
What's up Honda heads I have been a long time reader on HT , With my Turbo build in full swing I've decided to share it with you all. This thread will be a place for me to shares my build and also to gain advise, pointers and so on from the HT gurus. The car is a 99 Civic EX coupe that I bought bone stock in highschool. Currently the car has a JDM B16A and basically full bolt ons. On to the build.
My goal for this build is to have a really well built street car. Power goals are somewhere between 380whp and 450whp. Running 93 octane pump gas, and would like to be in a fairly safe range of boost. All of the parts I have accumulated are based on a ton of reaserch here on HT and sites like his one, as I have no real mentor for the build I would like to see everyone's opinions and advise on it. Greg from Goautoworks has helped me choose the right turbo kit for the setup and has helped me with some questions along the way. Thanks Greg. On to the build...

Block:
JDM B18C CSS 81.5
Manley H beam rods
Wiseco 10:1 pistons
Stock Crank micropolished and checked
King bearings
ARP mainstuds (block line honed ect)
Moroso 5.5 quart baffled oil pan -Careful of the oil return routing to that oil pan depending upon the exhaust manifold used. It's a bitch and can cause frustration in proper oil return routing.
ITR oil pump / water pump / tensioner with arp bolt -ARP Bolt for an oil pump tensioner. Sure. why not. Unnecessary, but.. go for broke, right?
gates racing blue belt
ATI superdamper
oil squirter plugs -Again,why not, although unnecessary, as you're not gaining any real oil pressure, and you don't have any interference between the stock crankshaft and the piston skirt that you're using.

Head:
B16A2 head stock ports
GSC T1 cams
Skunk 2 cam gears
Supertech 85 lb springs and Ti retainers
Stock hydraulic LMAS
Ferrea valve guides
Ferrea 6000 series STD valves intake and exhaust
Ferrea valve keepers
ARP headstuds
Oem Honda head gasket

Trans:
GSR transmission
LS 3rd and 4th - Um. sure, but why, I guess is my main question. Just because those are the gears you had on hand?
Quaife LSD
Autozone axles lol
Bought the transmission used so I need to go through it and change synchros, will probly use syncrotech carbon stuff.
Comp Twin disk clutch, reason for choosing this clutch will be longevity and when I decide to run e85 and turn the car up I don't want to buy another clutch. Out of everything this was the most unnecessary for the need. If anything, you'll go through this clutch faster than a single plate from the same company, as it will be MURDER on your foot as you adjust this for break-in on the street. You'll just develop runner's knee in the process, but whoever advised you on this, thought that you were immediately going to hit the drag-strip and never look back. I never understood why people thought B-series clutches were the same as those used on an Evolution or Subaru, where those types of clutches have completely different engagement points. A simple Exedy 08950B or Comptech Stage II would have sufficed.

Turbo Kit:
Goautoworks px600 AC friendly
Ram horn manifold - A bit much for the power goal needed, and a pain in the *** to work with a moroso oil pan, but I'm sure you'll make lemonade out of lemons.
Turbonetics T-GA 5862 dual ball bearing .63 AR - a bit large like the clutch,but it will work. I think this is where you got really indecisive here, and wasn't sure if going "bigger" was a good idea. I think you were afraid you weren't going to have enough turbo, when turbochargers actually like boost pressure.
Tial MVS and Tial blow off
3 port boost soilenoid and hardlines, pushlock fittings
2.5-3" down pipe
76mm skunk 2 megapower exhaust, no cat - I've made the mistake of getting this exhaust for use on a turbo system , and I still stand by it being one of the few items from skunk2 that I really can't stand. The thing just sounds like complete ***. But , if you like it, I'm sure you'll be fine with that decision.
WG dump to the ground

Fuel:
Walboro 255
-6an lines from pump to fuel rail and return
AEM high flow filter stock location
AEM fuel rail and FPR
No banjo fittings in the system
ID 1000 injectors -I'm sure this was selected because of 1) cuz' bandwagon, and 2) Ease of finding basemaps. But for the power level, totally unnecessary.

Electronics:
Hondata s300 v3 bluetooth and pwm boost installed
0bd2b to 0bd1 jumper
AEM X series gauges (AFR, boost, oil pressure)
OEM dizzy (obd2b), but i want to upgrade to a COP kit just not sure which kit. - Don't bother. Not worth the change. If you need to enhance your spark, use an aftermarket internal or external coil and get digital box and be done. Save your money on the S300 COP nonsense.
4 bar map sensor (need to buy)
OEM tachometer hasn't worked since I went obd1 and I need to figure that out soon--Simple. 1) Additional gauge from Autometer 2) tunerview or 3) custom readout from the VSS

Other parts:
Skunk 2 pro series intake manifold
Skunk 2 alpha 70 mm throttle body

Can't think of anything else right now.
The engine is at a reputable shop being built as I type.
Alamo Autosports in Arlington, Texas. Dropped it off 4 days ago. Very excited to get it back and keep making progress. I will need to purchace a traction bar and some sticky tires once I get it all together. And will be posting updates questions ect in this thread. All advise and input is welcome, I am glad to finally share my experiences here on HT !

Thanks for reading , Ian
20 years of doing this, and it's still a shock.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply TheShodan, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I've had no real advise just my reaserch so all of this is helpful. I'll try to reflect on everything you mentioned and hopefully it all makes sense.
I was unaware that the 5.5 quart oil pan would be problematic for drain routing but the main reason I chose it is simply because I'm a back road Twisties and touge kind of driver not just a straight liner. So I wanted something with good baffling, extra capacity and trap doors. I attend a private track day once a month in my Miata and would love to bring the Civic out from time to time. It's a Porsche test track so basically nothing but corners. As far as routing im a plumber so the plumbing shouldn't bust my ***** to hard, I'll make it work. Being that its even worse with the ram horn I look forward to the challenge haha. I wanted the ram horn cause it's got more room to grow power wise and looks WAY better than a cast log.
The ARP tensioner bolt was. 10$ add on and I haven't spared alot of expenses on this build so why not. Kind of the same with the plug squirters that and I wasn't sure if I'd need them or not.
The transmission is a unique one. I bought the GSR block, transmission and the ID1000 injectors all from one guy locally. He had put the LS 3rd and 4th in for "highway pulls" but it had a quaife LSD and thats basically what I paid for. Kind of regret it but I could always sorce other gears if I hate it.
The choice of clutch is a little extreme, originally when I started this build I had higher power goals like 450-550 whp. And one day I would like to be in that range but then the car becomes less streetable. Texas street cars are fast so I was aiming high. I've since settled for less and if you think its wise I will get a less aggressive clutch till I switch to e85 and / or make major upgrades. Though id rather be on the higher end of my power goals (450whp) then on the lower end.
The Turbo choice was with the help of Greg from Goautoworks, and he says it will work great for my build as well as have room for improvement once e85 is introduced ect. I should hit my goals on pump gas. But on that note my engine builder/ tuner says I'll be lucky to hit 350 whp at 20 psi with my setup which was disappointing. Greg reassured me that this should not be the case and gave me several examples. My tuner has 2 dynos and the Dyno he uses for fwd / rwd is known as the heartbreaker. Reads low but not terribly low as far as I understand. This is something I've been questioning recently as the build progresses. Idk if he tunes extremely safe or what. Your input on this subject would be helpful.
The skunk2 exaust sounds good as an all motor exhaust, if I hate it under boost I'll change it. What is the best sounding turbo exhaust in your opinion?
My tachometer not working has been a nuisance and I'd really prefer to use the OEM tachometer. I know it's a signal issue with the obd2b to obd1 conversion I just haven't figured out where to grab signal and take it to the cluster. I've tried a few things.
Once again I appreciate your time and everything will be taken into consideration so your response is worthy. Not sure what you mean by "20 years of doing this and it's still a shock". But I might inform you that I'm 23 so I've barley been around 20 years and this is my first build so noob stuff is to be expected. I've done pretty good so far I think just from my own reaserching and trying to chase my dreams of a turbo Civic.

Thank, Ian

Old 01-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

To get your tach to work you just need to run a wire from the blue wire on the dizzy to the single wire plug on the shock tower. It's pretty common for obd2 to obd1 converted cars to loose the tach function then wiring that wire up fixes it.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Trevors correct^ personal experience in a 99 civic ej8 with b16 swap
blue wire from distributor hook up into the your driver side usdm shock tower plug tach wire

hondata 4bar map sensors pretty affordable plus oem bolt on I believe 100 shipped usually

if u haven’t bought skunk2 pro im look into edelbrock performer x!
if u have bought it already then just use that

Also look into catch can venting

i personally do not like skunk2 exhaust whatsoever so obnoxiously loud
i am using eBay 2.5” piping with a used japan rsr axleback. Sounds quiet n soft until wot
i do however would suggest look into 3” exhaust with a speedfactory / ktuned lobster muffler turndown or something along that nature. Maybe a resonator also if too loud I want to try that myself
Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
To get your tach to work you just need to run a wire from the blue wire on the dizzy to the single wire plug on the shock tower. It's pretty common for obd2 to obd1 converted cars to loose the tach function then wiring that wire up fixes it.
Running the wire from the blue wire at the dizzy too the tach signal wire on the shock tower is something I have done and to my disappointment got no results.. Hondata has always seen the rpm readings though.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LS 3rd and 4th gears is gonna have you fall out of vtec everytime. Make sure you let your tuner know and have him lower the engagement point. Your definitely gonna hate if going into 3rd if you spend anytime on a circuit course. But quaife diffs are expensive as hell so its still a good buy. Just be ready to replace 3rd and 4th...
Old 01-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KiNGDEE206
Trevors correct^ personal experience in a 99 civic ej8 with b16 swap
blue wire from distributor hook up into the your driver side usdm shock tower plug tach wire

hondata 4bar map sensors pretty affordable plus oem bolt on I believe 100 shipped usually

if u haven’t bought skunk2 pro im look into edelbrock performer x!
if u have bought it already then just use that

Also look into catch can venting

i personally do not like skunk2 exhaust whatsoever so obnoxiously loud
i am using eBay 2.5” piping with a used japan rsr axleback. Sounds quiet n soft until wot
i do however would suggest look into 3” exhaust with a speedfactory / ktuned lobster muffler turndown or something along that nature. Maybe a resonator also if too loud I want to try that myself
I have a Goautoworks catch can just forgot to mention, the big one with 4 ports from the valve cover and 2 to the block. Just need to relocate the battery and I'm unsure if I can do a bumper relocation because of my intercooler piping. Really don't want to put the battery inside the cab. As far as the exhaust goes the skunk 2 is 76mm which is 3 inch so I'll probly use it to get the car on the road and tuned and if I hate it I'll buy something else. I really like the look and sound of the speed factory or ktuned lobster so I'll probly use something like that. And I already have the skunk2 intake manifold on the current setup so I'm going to reuse that for now. Can always be upgraded.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
LS 3rd and 4th gears is gonna have you fall out of vtec everytime. Make sure you let your tuner know and have him lower the engagement point. Your definitely gonna hate if going into 3rd if you spend anytime on a circuit course. But quaife diffs are expensive as hell so its still a good buy. Just be ready to replace 3rd and 4th...
Yeah Im sure it will bother me and will probly end up sorcing a GSR gear set or 3rd and 4th if I can buy just those. which sucks but I don't want to be falling out of vtec. And like you said the quaife was the real reason I jumped on it.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

There's a lot here, my friend. I'll break this down the best I can.

Thanks for the reply TheShodan, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I've had no real advise just my reaserch so all of this is helpful. I'll try to reflect on everything you mentioned and hopefully it all makes sense.
I was unaware that the 5.5 quart oil pan would be problematic for drain routing but the main reason I chose it is simply because I'm a back road Twisties and touge kind of driver not just a straight liner. So I wanted something with good baffling, extra capacity and trap doors. I attend a private track day once a month in my Miata and would love to bring the Civic out from time to time. It's a Porsche test track so basically nothing but corners. As far as routing im a plumber so the plumbing shouldn't bust my ***** to hard, I'll make it work.
Can be done with either a stock oil pan, or even a Canton pan, which is made for these kinds of driving behaviours. Plumbing itself isn't the issue. It's the actual proper oil return routing that will be the challenge.

Being that its even worse with the ram horn I look forward to the challenge haha.
Be careful what you wish for... You might actually get it.

I wanted the ram horn cause it's got more room to grow power wise and looks WAY better than a cast log.
Many people for years have tried to use that logic when circuit/ "Togue" style racing. It is a terrible way to think, and for the use, it is not the right choice. But, since you already have it, you might as well use it, and get some guidance for the next time (if there is one).

The ARP tensioner bolt was. 10$ add on and I haven't spared alot of expenses on this build so why not. Kind of the same with the plug squirters that and I wasn't sure if I'd need them or not.
You're right. You needed guidance before going into this direction. You weren't going to need the squirter block kit in this situation, and you should learn why. The tensioner bolt was fine. Just interesting to see that as part of a list.

The transmission is a unique one. I bought the GSR block, transmission and the ID1000 injectors all from one guy locally. He had put the LS 3rd and 4th in for "highway pulls" but it had a quaife LSD and thats basically what I paid for. Kind of regret it but I could always sorce other gears if I hate it.
You will... And .... You will.

The choice of clutch is a little extreme, originally when I started this build I had higher power goals like 450-550 whp. And one day I would like to be in that range but then the car becomes less streetable. Texas street cars are fast so I was aiming high. I've since settled for less and if you think its wise I will get a less aggressive clutch till I switch to e85 and / or make major upgrades. Though id rather be on the higher end of my power goals (450whp) then on the lower end.
Even at 500whp, that wasn't necessary at all. You need to read the proper descriptions of these clutches from their respective companies thoroughly before making a decision. Even if that means making a phone call to several manufacturers and describing your purpose for them to help with making the right decision. All that glitters is not gold.

The Turbo choice was with the help of Greg from Goautoworks, and he says it will work great for my build as well as have room for improvement once e85 is introduced ect. I should hit my goals on pump gas. But on that note my engine builder/ tuner says I'll be lucky to hit 350 whp at 20 psi with my setup which was disappointing.
Tuners need to really stick to tuning and not Turbo choice. They only go by what they've experienced with something remotely similar. Unless they intimately know the exact model that Greg, or any consultant is referring to, the tuner should just tune the car when its time and not speculate until the moment of truth.

Greg reassured me that this should not be the case and gave me several examples. My tuner has 2 dynos and the Dyno he uses for fwd / rwd is known as the heartbreaker. Reads low but not terribly low as far as I understand. This is something I've been questioning recently as the build progresses. Idk if he tunes extremely safe or what. Your input on this subject would be helpful.
Tuning is as much art as it is science. So, that's like asking me to judge Pablo Picasso's work based upon what I would do in Picasso's place. It's not a realistic way to get any feedback or input on any tuner. You'll either trust their decision, hope for the best, and drive the car to see if his/her work bore fruit, or simply go to another tuner. The dyno itself is simply a tool, and the power made is a mathematical issue, which has little to do with the tuner's ability to work with the car. So, don't worry about the power output so much as the behaviour of the car when it's completely done.

The skunk2 exaust sounds good as an all motor exhaust, if I hate it under boost I'll change it. What is the best sounding turbo exhaust in your opinion?
Well, that is subjective, and is strictly your choice. I like lower toned "professional" sounding exhausts, and the Skunk2 was anything but that after myself worked with a few. But if you like it, you like it. Considering the limited options available for pre-fabricated exhaust systems for Hondas, the only option I trust in a pre-fabricated 3" exhaust is from Thermal Research and Development. They've been making those exhausts since 2001, and are highly durable and functional. Much more than the Skunk2.

My tachometer not working has been a nuisance and I'd really prefer to use the OEM tachometer. I know it's a signal issue with the obd2b to obd1 conversion I just haven't figured out where to grab signal and take it to the cluster. I've tried a few things.
I think that's been answered already, so I'll let greater minds prevail.

Once again I appreciate your time and everything will be taken into consideration so your response is worthy. Not sure what you mean by "20 years of doing this and it's still a shock". But I might inform you that I'm 23 so I've barley been around 20 years and this is my first build so noob stuff is to be expected. I've done pretty good so far I think just from my own reaserching and trying to chase my dreams of a turbo Civic.
Not bad.. Not bad at all. But like many younger people, don't get your head filled up with the power number so much, especially for the purpose you're using the car for. There are ways to be able to get better of two worlds, but you must not let your ego get in the way of the goal and purpose of the car. Large exhaust manifolds, big power dynos, "aewsome hyper-mega deals" on parts, and the like all can make you shoot yourself in the foot.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Running the wire from the blue wire at the dizzy too the tach signal wire on the shock tower is something I have done and to my disappointment got no results.. Hondata has always seen the rpm readings though.

sounds like a bad cluster more then likely. If you got a buddy with the same car spend 15 minutes to swap out a known working cluster to see if that's the problem then buy one if it works.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again for everyone's input, I've been busy working and making progress. Hopefully it's just a bad cluster, I'd like to get a CTR cluster anyway. Just don't have any Honda friends I could swap clusters with.

But on to the progress, the motor is home from the builder after about 3-4 weeks and looks great. The block line hone went well and is withing 1/1000th tolerance. Everything else checked out, and put together. I'll post some pictures.

Next is to get the transmission rebuilt with carbon syncros and I think I'll leave the LS 3rd and 4th gear in it for now . I did talk to my tuner about it and he thinks I'll be happy with it. After all it's dominatly a street car.

He recommended a twin disk so I'm gonna take his recommendation and just do it. I need to find a fabricator who can weld bungs on my valve cover for the catch can and then have it powder coated.

I bought a syncrotech sport brake kit ( drilled & slotted with stainless lines ) for the car as an OEM replacement for disk brakes.

Also new wheel bearings. Got skunk 2 front lower control arms rather than replacing the bushings myself. And plan to purchase a ktuned traction bar that has the additional motor mounting point for b series.

Pretty excited it's all coming together and it's almost time to pull the b16 out! I'll include some pictures.

Began to mock up the turbo kit just to get an idea of what needs to be done and for motivation.

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-28-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I need to find a fabricator who can weld bungs on my valve cover for the catch can and then have it powder coated.
Send it to Go-Autoworks. Greg turned my oil pan and valve cover around in 24 hours. I just did my own wrinkle paint job, but you should be able to find a local powder coater to handle that part.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Looking forward to seeing some more progress. Good luck to ya
Old 03-01-2019, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Send it to Go-Autoworks. Greg turned my oil pan and valve cover around in 24 hours. I just did my own wrinkle paint job, but you should be able to find a local powder coater to handle that part.
On one hand I'd say welding bungs into an oil pan or valve cover is so easy/cheap you may as well just swing it by a local shop, but last time I did that they welded the bungs on the wrong f@#king side of my valve cover even AFTER I had cleaned and marked the area I wanted in sharpie.

I had two spots on the intake side clearly marked, they accidentally cleaned off the markings (admitted that) and then rather than call me just guessed where I wanted them and tapped the exhaust side. I'm still irrationally salty over this lol.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
On one hand I'd say welding bungs into an oil pan or valve cover is so easy/cheap you may as well just swing it by a local shop, but last time I did that they welded the bungs on the wrong f@#king side of my valve cover even AFTER I had cleaned and marked the area I wanted in sharpie.

I had two spots on the intake side clearly marked, they accidentally cleaned off the markings (admitted that) and then rather than call me just guessed where I wanted them and tapped the exhaust side. I'm still irrationally salty over this lol.
That's why I drilled out the holes for my welder when he added the 2 on the valve cover and 1 on the oil pan. Sometimes, you have to literally make it simple for people because they have no clue how to use a phone, besides being on FB or looking at **** videos..lol