Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

 
Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

I'm having a hard time finding a good place to mount these hangers on B series engines, specifically with bottom mount manifolds.

Other examples also welcome as it may help others (top mount manifolds, side winders/forward facing, K/H/F engines, whatever).

Random examples:



Chance EG is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 AM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
boosted94gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Those are a great idea. I’m not running a brace off my turbo, but I did make a brace that comes off my dp and bolts to the back of the block. I actually stole/copied the idea from lightningteg lol. I’ll see if I can dig up a pic.
boosted94gsr is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
boosted94gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Not it sure if it actually takes any stress off the manifold, but itís gotta be better then nothing right.


boosted94gsr is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
LightningTeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,136
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Thats how the OE does it so I figured its worth something lol
LightningTeg is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Thanks for sharing, boosted

Top mount locations seem pretty easy to figure out, but I can't decide where or how to suspend a bottom mount turbo using either the block or head as an anchor point.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 AM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
extremeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
Thanks for sharing, boosted

Top mount locations seem pretty easy to figure out, but I can't decide where or how to suspend a bottom mount turbo using either the block or head as an anchor point.
We ran a single vertical rod with heim joints to a bracket on the traction bar on both our street and drag cars. Hard mounting the turbo and even intercooler makes working on the cars so much simpler and also helped to reduce cracking on the stainless steel manifolds.

Add a bracket to your traction bar "tube" and link it to a nut on the back of the compressor housing if possible. Alternatively you can also pick up the bolt holes where the big A/C bracket bolts on at the bottom of the block. In order to use that you may need to triangulate as it will most likely run diagonally.
extremeracer is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by extremeracer View Post
We ran a single vertical rod with heim joints to a bracket on the traction bar on both our street and drag cars. Hard mounting the turbo and even intercooler makes working on the cars so much simpler and also helped to reduce cracking on the stainless steel manifolds.

Add a bracket to your traction bar "tube" and link it to a nut on the back of the compressor housing if possible. Alternatively you can also pick up the bolt holes where the big A/C bracket bolts on at the bottom of the block. In order to use that you may need to triangulate as it will most likely run diagonally.
AC bracket location might work for turbos oriented with the compressor facing the drivers side. May even be able to run a spacer and/or a longer bolt and retain the AC compressor and bracket. Bottom mount with compressor facing the passenger side seems the hardest to figure out.

I hadn't thought about using a non-engine point to anchor the joint to. Anchoring the turbo to the traction bar or even somewhere along the subframe seems like it may be non-ideal though, as the engine vibrations and torquing would be separate from the location the turbo is anchored to?
Chance EG is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM
  #8  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

I didn't bother with the bracing. I just used ARP Extended Manifold studs (400-8023 or 400-8022 in M8x1.25x45mm) to fit the exhaust manifold. I didn't want to have to try and search or get my friend to fab more equipment up. They've been used for about 8 years, and I'll use them again for my new mini-me EQ manifold that's being made. I guess I just don't want to waste precious room. Otherwise, I'd have made on made as Tony The Tiger did.


TheShodan is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
khrys771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: lexington, ky, USA
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

I also have arp stainless extended studs on my exhaust side, But I will be running a go-autoworks miniram. It worries me to have so much weight just hanging there, I went with a GTW3684R so its bigger then the old GT series of turbos. I was thinking of fashioning up something that held the turbo from where the turbine meets the manifold then bracing it to the block underneath.
khrys771 is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
I didn't bother with the bracing. I just used ARP Extended Manifold studs (400-8023 or 400-8022 in M8x1.25x45mm) to fit the exhaust manifold.
I always use ARP extended hardware on the exhaust side, along with locking washers to avoid bolts backing out (Nordlocks if I'm feeling fancy). I'm not sure what that has to do with relieving any weight of the turbo off of the manifold though?
Chance EG is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 04:42 PM
  #11  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
I always use ARP extended hardware on the exhaust side, along with locking washers to avoid bolts backing out (Nordlocks if I'm feeling fancy). I'm not sure what that has to do with relieving any weight of the turbo off of the manifold though?
Instead of relieving / redistributing weight, I strengthened the point at which the manifold and turbo mount together and where the majority of the weight is held.. The manifold studs.

I use an engine "stiffy" for the rest of any engine movement..

Now you see my point?
TheShodan is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM
  #12  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by khrys771 View Post
I also have arp stainless extended studs on my exhaust side, But I will be running a go-autoworks miniram. It worries me to have so much weight just hanging there, I went with a GTW3684R so its bigger then the old GT series of turbos. I was thinking of fashioning up something that held the turbo from where the turbine meets the manifold then bracing it to the block underneath.
That's really no heavier than any GT series turbo. The average GT30-35R is about 16-18lbs using a nickel cast iron turbine housing. That's it. I've had much heavier manifolds on stock studs. You're just looking at the compressor cover, like most people do.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
khrys771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: lexington, ky, USA
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

really? i was under the impression that the gtw was based on a T04 turbo with a much larger chra. My worry was never the studs, but the stress on the manifold in itself. I was thinking the heat cycles and the weight of the turbo overtime may fatigue the manifold and cause stress cracks. But, If you think i am looking too far into it, Then I will just slap it on the engine.
khrys771 is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM
  #14  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Originally Posted by khrys771 View Post
really? i was under the impression that the gtw was based on a T04 turbo with a much larger chra. My worry was never the studs, but the stress on the manifold in itself. I was thinking the heat cycles and the weight of the turbo overtime may fatigue the manifold and cause stress cracks. But, If you think i am looking too far into it, Then I will just slap it on the engine.
Nope. I use similar Garrett part numbers all the time.

Quality of the manifold itself is what dictates if it can have a stress crack or not. The brace would simply be supplementary for certain types of racing.

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Pepe14 is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 AM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Thanks Pepe, do you have a picture of the front side?
Chance EG is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Pepe14 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rukawa1one
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
58
08-04-2012 08:37 AM
ThrowdownPerfor
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
27
05-17-2011 12:29 PM
rukawa1one
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
126
11-25-2008 04:39 AM
cigrafix2
For Sale
4
03-08-2008 03:49 AM
RenoRacing
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
28
11-10-2004 11:27 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: