Notices

Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

I'm having a hard time finding a good place to mount these hangers on B series engines, specifically with bottom mount manifolds.

Other examples also welcome as it may help others (top mount manifolds, side winders/forward facing, K/H/F engines, whatever).

Random examples:

Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Visual Examples of Turbo Hangers/Braces on Honda Engines

Those are a great idea. I’m not running a brace off my turbo, but I did make a brace that comes off my dp and bolts to the back of the block. I actually stole/copied the idea from lightningteg lol. I’ll see if I can dig up a pic.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not it sure if it actually takes any stress off the manifold, but it’s gotta be better then nothing right.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats how the OE does it so I figured its worth something lol
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for sharing, boosted

Top mount locations seem pretty easy to figure out, but I can't decide where or how to suspend a bottom mount turbo using either the block or head as an anchor point.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Thanks for sharing, boosted

Top mount locations seem pretty easy to figure out, but I can't decide where or how to suspend a bottom mount turbo using either the block or head as an anchor point.
We ran a single vertical rod with heim joints to a bracket on the traction bar on both our street and drag cars. Hard mounting the turbo and even intercooler makes working on the cars so much simpler and also helped to reduce cracking on the stainless steel manifolds.

Add a bracket to your traction bar "tube" and link it to a nut on the back of the compressor housing if possible. Alternatively you can also pick up the bolt holes where the big A/C bracket bolts on at the bottom of the block. In order to use that you may need to triangulate as it will most likely run diagonally.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extremeracer
We ran a single vertical rod with heim joints to a bracket on the traction bar on both our street and drag cars. Hard mounting the turbo and even intercooler makes working on the cars so much simpler and also helped to reduce cracking on the stainless steel manifolds.

Add a bracket to your traction bar "tube" and link it to a nut on the back of the compressor housing if possible. Alternatively you can also pick up the bolt holes where the big A/C bracket bolts on at the bottom of the block. In order to use that you may need to triangulate as it will most likely run diagonally.
AC bracket location might work for turbos oriented with the compressor facing the drivers side. May even be able to run a spacer and/or a longer bolt and retain the AC compressor and bracket. Bottom mount with compressor facing the passenger side seems the hardest to figure out.

I hadn't thought about using a non-engine point to anchor the joint to. Anchoring the turbo to the traction bar or even somewhere along the subframe seems like it may be non-ideal though, as the engine vibrations and torquing would be separate from the location the turbo is anchored to?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I didn't bother with the bracing. I just used ARP Extended Manifold studs (400-8023 or 400-8022 in M8x1.25x45mm) to fit the exhaust manifold. I didn't want to have to try and search or get my friend to fab more equipment up. They've been used for about 8 years, and I'll use them again for my new mini-me EQ manifold that's being made. I guess I just don't want to waste precious room. Otherwise, I'd have made on made as Tony The Tiger did.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have arp stainless extended studs on my exhaust side, But I will be running a go-autoworks miniram. It worries me to have so much weight just hanging there, I went with a GTW3684R so its bigger then the old GT series of turbos. I was thinking of fashioning up something that held the turbo from where the turbine meets the manifold then bracing it to the block underneath.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I didn't bother with the bracing. I just used ARP Extended Manifold studs (400-8023 or 400-8022 in M8x1.25x45mm) to fit the exhaust manifold.
I always use ARP extended hardware on the exhaust side, along with locking washers to avoid bolts backing out (Nordlocks if I'm feeling fancy). I'm not sure what that has to do with relieving any weight of the turbo off of the manifold though?
Old 05-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I always use ARP extended hardware on the exhaust side, along with locking washers to avoid bolts backing out (Nordlocks if I'm feeling fancy). I'm not sure what that has to do with relieving any weight of the turbo off of the manifold though?
Instead of relieving / redistributing weight, I strengthened the point at which the manifold and turbo mount together and where the majority of the weight is held.. The manifold studs.

I use an engine "stiffy" for the rest of any engine movement..

Now you see my point?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by khrys771
I also have arp stainless extended studs on my exhaust side, But I will be running a go-autoworks miniram. It worries me to have so much weight just hanging there, I went with a GTW3684R so its bigger then the old GT series of turbos. I was thinking of fashioning up something that held the turbo from where the turbine meets the manifold then bracing it to the block underneath.
That's really no heavier than any GT series turbo. The average GT30-35R is about 16-18lbs using a nickel cast iron turbine housing. That's it. I've had much heavier manifolds on stock studs. You're just looking at the compressor cover, like most people do.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really? i was under the impression that the gtw was based on a T04 turbo with a much larger chra. My worry was never the studs, but the stress on the manifold in itself. I was thinking the heat cycles and the weight of the turbo overtime may fatigue the manifold and cause stress cracks. But, If you think i am looking too far into it, Then I will just slap it on the engine.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by khrys771
really? i was under the impression that the gtw was based on a T04 turbo with a much larger chra. My worry was never the studs, but the stress on the manifold in itself. I was thinking the heat cycles and the weight of the turbo overtime may fatigue the manifold and cause stress cracks. But, If you think i am looking too far into it, Then I will just slap it on the engine.
Nope. I use similar Garrett part numbers all the time.

Quality of the manifold itself is what dictates if it can have a stress crack or not. The brace would simply be supplementary for certain types of racing.

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts

Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Pepe, do you have a picture of the front side?
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 255 Likes on 223 Posts