Notices

Very weird problem, I have no idea what just happened!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very weird problem, I have no idea what just happened!

So I went to take my car back to the garage I keep it in now and as I left all was normal...everything working properly like it had been, hit full boost nicely, good AFRs. After a bit, I pull to the side of the road to start testing a new BIN i made.

Starts, idles...VERY rich (which is weird because it has the same fuel settings as the BIN that ran well). Tried two other versions...both the same, ran WAY rich. But the thing is they ran so rich i didnt really get anywhere. Not even out of the parking lot I was changing the chip out in. So I didnt travel more than 20 feet on any of those rich BINs.

So I pop back in my trusty BIN that has ben working well. Car starts, idles REAL low and dies. I look at my ECU, solid CEL light...no flashing. Get out, disconnect the battery, unhook the ECU, re-hook it back up and connect the battery. Turned the key on, and the ECU blinks its normal 13 & 20 CELs(PM6 ecu instead of a PR4). Ok, so I try to start, nothing...nothing...nothing. Keep trying to start it for a while, figured it was flooded or something. Im on a rather large hill so I try and pop the clutch to start...didnt work so half way down the hill I pull into a gas station to check my plugs. Pulled them all...black...covered, ok that figures...so I wipe them off. Still wont start, so I let it keep going down the hill trying to pop the clutch all the way to the bottom where I pull into a well lit dealership parking lot.

Call the tow truck...he pulls out the jumper cables and I continue to try and start it...HOPING...nothing.

The driver says to me, "is that clicking sound normally there with this car?" I said, "what clicking sound?" He gets in the car and tries to start it so I could hear. I'm pretty sure it sounds like a VALVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh no...

How could this happen? The car was running flawlessly. Could it have happened while trying to pop the clutch? Bent valve? Im so depressed right now. First step Im going to try is a valve adjustment and then I guess I have to find a way to do a compression test on it see whats going on in there...but if it wont start, what else? Could the timing belt have jumped? Im going to check that too...but remember I never got over 5 mph with the different BINs...

Any help would be appreciated...

Old 01-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a rapid clicking or just a single click when you try to start??
Old 01-02-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DA-MAX)

The clicking must have been in my head...it was the chip. Actually, it was all four chips. The ECU must have done something to them to screw them up.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you fouled your plugs and washed your rings in gas. same thing happened to me when i first installed my setup because i had my settings too rich before tuning.

if you pulled the plugs and they were basically soaked in gas and you replaced/dried them out and couldn't push start it sounds like there is no compression.

try this...do an oil change...i bet it smells like gas. pull your plugs and replace them with new plugs, but before you reinstall them leave them out overnight to dry out the cylinders...if you have an air compressor blow down into the plug holes to help dry it out. then the next morning get a straw and drop about a tablespoon of oil down on top of each piston and let it sit until lunch so it might hit the rings. reinstall plugs and try to fire it up. hopefully that will help and your car will blow smoke like crazy as it's burning off all the extra oil.

make sure you install a leaner chip...it sounds like it was just pouring fuel.

good luck.