Venting stock fuel tank after charcoal canister removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Venting stock fuel tank after charcoal canister removal

Originally Posted by redboost10
Roll over vent works well
Aren't they mounted on top of the fuel tank, though?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I dont see what your issue is, I removed the canister 5 years ago, and just left the line sitting in the engine bay never bothered me one bit or had any issue whatsoever
It's not a huge issue. I just don't like having an open line from my fuel tank going underneath my car. The Earl's fitting is a one way check valve. I'd prefer to have a 2 way check valve inline that's not so overly restrictive like the last one I bought. When pressure would build up to a certain point, the check valve would vent the tank just enough to relieve pressure. Makes sense, doesn't it?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think theres very much pressure comming out at any given time. So yeaah check valve may make it worse allowing pressure to build up unnecessarily.

I see where your going with this, just not an issue for me..... if anything Id put a filter on it and call it a day - dont fix something thats not broken / make it more complicated then it needs to be
Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

venting the gas tank with an actual vent will simply waste a ton of gas, and allow a potential explosion from the mass amounts of fuel vapors that can pour out on a hot day with low tank level and sloshing the fuel around from bumps. sealing the tank or using a check valve will obviously cause excessive tank pressures.

I ran an open line for a while, and on warmer days I could smell fuel practically nonstop, and gas mileage was crap. though it wasn't actual gas mileage, it was the sheer amount of fuel that would evaporate at all times, whether driving or parked.

my solution; I stuck a vinyl vacuum cap on the line and pricked it with a pin. problem solved. fuel loss is so low I'd claim zero loss from evaporation, but I know it does allow some out obviously. zero fuel smell. and tank pressure never exceeds 2psi, which is stock pressure anyhow. the pin ***** is key, because it keeps it sealed at near zero pressure, but allows vapors to flow out when tank pressures do start to accumulate
Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I dont think theres very much pressure comming out at any given time. So yeaah check valve may make it worse allowing pressure to build up unnecessarily.

I see where your going with this, just not an issue for me..... if anything Id put a filter on it and call it a day - dont fix something thats not broken / make it more complicated then it needs to be
I'm not the least bit concerned about explosions, but as motoxxxman said, it's a waste of fuel. I already have a filter on it, by the way.

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
venting the gas tank with an actual vent will simply waste a ton of gas, and allow a potential explosion from the mass amounts of fuel vapors that can pour out on a hot day with low tank level and sloshing the fuel around from bumps. sealing the tank or using a check valve will obviously cause excessive tank pressures.

I ran an open line for a while, and on warmer days I could smell fuel practically nonstop, and gas mileage was crap. though it wasn't actual gas mileage, it was the sheer amount of fuel that would evaporate at all times, whether driving or parked.

my solution; I stuck a vinyl vacuum cap on the line and pricked it with a pin. problem solved. fuel loss is so low I'd claim zero loss from evaporation, but I know it does allow some out obviously. zero fuel smell. and tank pressure never exceeds 2psi, which is stock pressure anyhow. the pin ***** is key, because it keeps it sealed at near zero pressure, but allows vapors to flow out when tank pressures do start to accumulate
How did you measure the tank pressure?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockets
Aren't they mounted on top of the fuel tank, though?
yes, they are on top of the fuel cells. I welded a -6an bung on to my tank when it was out to get the sump. I then put the roll over vent on that bung.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
yes, they are on top of the fuel cells. I welded a -6an bung on to my tank when it was out to get the sump. I then put the roll over vent on that bung.
That's the proper way to do it, unfortunately that's out of the question for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you measure the tank pressure?
mechanical barometric pressure guage. never saw anything higher than 140mBar above ambient pressure, even on a 95 degree day with under 1/4 tank driving down a super bumpy road. Colder days, with around half tank, smoother roads, never saw more than like 50mBar above ambient
Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mechanical barometric pressure guage. never saw anything higher than 140mBar above ambient pressure, even on a 95 degree day with under 1/4 tank driving down a super bumpy road. Colder days, with around half tank, smoother roads, never saw more than like 50mBar above ambient
OK, thank you. I Googled it and came up with some pretty strange pictures of gauges not related to cars.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, thank you. I Googled it and came up with some pretty strange pictures of gauges not related to cars.
yeah lol, the one I used was wicked old. found it in the basement of an abandoned house I was inspecting back when I was a property inspector
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah lol, the one I used was wicked old. found it in the basement of an abandoned house I was inspecting back when I was a property inspector
I was wondering where you got it. I found this, but it's 6an and I can't find any 6an to 5/8" barb adapters:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=8453

The hose I have on there now is 10an Aeroquip socketless, and I don't know how I can make it work with that.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i removed my canister i bent the vent line and cut it down so it went about half way up the fire wall then put a small breather filter on there, been running like this for a year now, but now thinking about running it in to my catchcan