Notices

valve cover vent with turbo ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover vent with turbo ???'s

Ok I read a ton of posts on catchcan vs valve cover filter. how do most of the turbo kits deal with this issue, I know you don't want it venting back into the intake for instance the way that it does with a CAI setup. What do the "kits" do for this.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 07-28-2003, 03:44 PM
New User

Default Re: (bluebullet)

i dont know of any kits that deal with it. with my kit i just bypassed my pcv installed a catchcan and used the intake as a vacuum source. my crankcase is just open to the atmosphere.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (psileepR)

Is there anything negative with having the crankcase open like you have
Old 07-28-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s (bluebullet)

can you post a pic of what your talking about here? sorry..having a hard time figuring out what your saying. i think i know what your talking about, just want to make sure.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (psileepR)

FMAX addresses this...there is a nipple on the intake (before the turbo, and after the filter) like NA cars. i simply routed the blowby back to the intake with a silicon vacuum hose (10mm)...no problems....only draw back I can think of is getting a small bit of oil in the intake...
Old 07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (MiraiZ)

but doesn't running all of that back into the intake increase the risk of detonation? I thought that the only "safe" way to have that go back into the intake was through a breather filter at least and catch can at best? i could be wrong though
Old 07-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dengar)

why would it increase the risk of detonation?...its just compressed air....

the only real risk is if you have excessive blowby and blowing a lot of oil into the intake...that can F up your turbo. To be safe you can use a catch can....but my blowby is so minimal that the setup discribed above is fine

Modified by MiraiZ at 1:56 PM 7/29/2003
Old 07-28-2003, 07:14 PM

are you guys talking about the small pipe that comes out from the valve cover that normally a hose would go to from the intake?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93hb)

yes...

from my experiences, a breather filter can actually hurt your engine as it will clog up quickly with oil. Two things Ive seen done are:
1. Obviously a catch can.
2. An inline filter that is connected between the valve cover and the intake thus allowing the air back into the intake but filtering it first.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:19 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FMAX addresses this...there is a nipple on the intake (before the turbo, and after the filter) like NA cars. i simply routed the blowby back to the intake with a silicon vacuum hose (10mm)...no problems....only draw back I can think of is getting a small bit of oil in the intake...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not good. your turbo is sucking oil, I had the exact same thing with my Greddy kit . Not good. Remove this hose and plug the hole in the intake piping. re-route the hose in a catchcan.

The reason they setup it that way is to pass emission tests.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:22 PM

just so u all know..
i know u cant hook it back up to intake..
but u better hook it up as i didnt have it hooked up in my car and i got a big fine, i got a fine for $380. for having a filter hooked up.
just warnig u all
Old 07-28-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (sikcrx80)

i have a little filter there right now...so should i not use that little breather filter?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: (meanteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meanteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not good. your turbo is sucking oil </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong way. The filtered air (from inside the non-pressurized intake tube) is drawn into the block.

Like this:

Filtered air -&gt; valve cover -&gt;crankcase -&gt;oil seperator -&gt; PCV valve -&gt; intake manifold

Been done this way forever, even on boosted cars. Remember the PCV only goes ONE way... don't make this more confusing that it needs to be.

[edit] I can't speel
Old 07-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (hybridsol)

edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. But I don't think it works that way. The hose from the valve cover uses the vacuum from the engine to pull out pressure from the crankcase, correct?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

Hey guys, i pulled my crankcase breather hose off when car is on and the breather hole is pushing air out, i can take a small MPEG and show you proof it's pushing air out and not sucking in.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 PM

am i reading this right? You should not connect the hose from the valve cover to your intake? Whats the draw back from having a small breather on the valve cover?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:34 PM

which hose is being discussed here, the one that originally went to the intake piping
or the one that goes to the intake mani?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s (93hb)

the one that goes to the intake piping, this thread is getting crazy, I'm just gonna get me a GReddy catch can.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

haha...i'm with him ^
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s (Dengar)

Here's what I'll be doing with my setup.

Materials needed

Catch Can
Y type vacuum tee
some heater hose tubing(small diameter)
maybe a 1/8 npt barb fitting
Inline Fuel filter(optional)

Route one line from the valve cover and one line from your pcv valve(the one coming up in the middle of the intake manifold on a b-series motor) to each of the nipples on the y type vacuum tee.

Then Route the Y type vacuum to the inlet on your catch can. From the outlet of the catch can route it to the inlet side of your turbo's intake piping(this is where you might have to tap the barb fitting onto the intake pipe for the heater hose).

You can optionally use an inline fuel filter in between the outlet of the catch can and intake pipe for xtra filtering of the vapors if you wish.

Dont forget to plug up the fitting on the intake manifold where your pcv valve used to be connected too. I personally am going to use it for a vacuum source for my BOV.

By doing it this way your getting constant vacuum and keeping the system closed and filtering the detonation causing oil vapors out. You won't have to worry about the pcv valve closing under pressure in FI motors.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s (Dengar)

wohow man im getting confused again! theres two different things going on here right? 1 the hose that goes from the intake to the valve cover is called wat? 2: the line from the intake manifold that goes to the pcv valve and then into the block is called wat?

now, for # 1 you can just put a breather filter correct?

#2, this is where you put the catch can...right?

please clear this for me...all the other posts have mostly the same info with the same confusion.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 PM

Default Re: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s (Bongnak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bongnak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wohow man im getting confused again! theres two different things going on here right? 1 the hose that goes from the intake to the valve cover is called wat? 2: the line from the intake manifold that goes to the pcv valve and then into the block is called wat?

now, for # 1 you can just put a breather filter correct?

#2, this is where you put the catch can...right?

please clear this for me...all the other posts have mostly the same info with the same confusion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't make me drop kick you.....

j/k .

Just do what I said and you'll be fine. I have no idea how your getting confused.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FMAX addresses this...there is a nipple on the intake (before the turbo, and after the filter) like NA cars. i simply routed the blowby back to the intake with a silicon vacuum hose (10mm)...no problems....only draw back I can think of is getting a small bit of oil in the intake...</TD></TR></TABLE> just like stock!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:01 AM

The way my stock boosted car is setup is this: two hoses running off of the valve cover, one with a oneway check vavle to the intake. Another running down to the intake side of the turbo. This is OEM design and used on many factory boosted cars.

Quick Reply: valve cover vent with turbo ???'s