Notices

vaccum line routing with an ebc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vaccum line routing with an ebc?

i'm installing an old hks electronic boost controller with my turbo setup, and i'm wondering what's the best way of running the vaccum lines. there are 3 ports on the ebc, and according to the instructions that come with it, here's what they need to connect to:

1. intake manifold vaccum
2. compressor housing (discharge side) or compressor outlet piping (before intercooler)
3. wastegate

the first one is obvious.

as for the second one, my turbo doesn't have a fitting on the exhaust side, only on the intake side. is that the correct spot to connect the vaccum line to? i don't have any fittings on the intercooler piping and would rather not weld one in if i don't have to.

for the third one, i have a 38 mm tial wastegate. the side fitting is the correct one to used to connect the wastegate to the ebc, correct? what exactly is the top one used for?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vaccum line routing with an ebc? (civicdxtyper)

nobody here knows how to set up the vaccum lines for a turbo??
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one line off your IM and tee it - this covers 1. and 2 (since you dont have a fitting on your comprerssor housing just use the IM.). the third line goes to the top port of your wastegate.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vaccum line routing with an ebc? (rtype11)

what exactly does it mean by 'compressor, discharge side'? there is a fitting on the turbo on the intake side. would that be the correct one?

why do you say the top port of the wastegate? when i searched i found several threads saying the side port is the correct one. what are the differences between the top and side?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the EBC needs to be ran to the TOP port. and a boost/vac source ran to the bottom as well. the top port allows the ebc to apply pressure above the diaphram, to work against the spring so higher boost pressures can be achieved.

which version of the hks ebc are you using? maybe we can help you to find an install manual or something. maybe some pics of the control unit would be helpful too
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vaccum line routing with an ebc? (dpetro1)

i have the hks evc 1. looks really old. i found the install manual on the hks web site, but it's not quite specific enough for me. here are a few pics from the install manual:

the control valve:

instructions:

so dpetro1, could you clarify your reponse a little? you're saying that the top port on the wg should be connected to the boost controller, and the bottom one directly to a vaccum source? or are you saying to only connect the top one? i hope the pics help you answer my questions, and thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after reading the manual. its looks like

#3 to top port of wastegate
#2 to side port of wastegate
#1 to IM or vaccum source

for #2 you will need to tee into the line that is already running from the side port of the wastegate. where do you have that like running right now? it can be run to the fitting on the compressor housing (if you have one) or to the IM.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't have any of the vaccum lines run yet. i'm not quite done installing the turbo yet, so i want to make sure everything is correct when i am.

so you're saying that the line from the side port of the wg needs to be run to either the turbo or im, with a T to the #2 port on the boost controller? which would be better, the turbo or im?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm installing an old hks electronic boost controller with my turbo setup, and i'm wondering what's the best way of running the vaccum lines. there are 3 ports on the ebc, and according to the instructions that come with it, here's what they need to connect to:

1. intake manifold vaccum
2. compressor housing (discharge side) or compressor outlet piping (before intercooler)
3. wastegate

the first one is obvious.

as for the second one, my turbo doesn't have a fitting on the exhaust side, only on the intake side. is that the correct spot to connect the vaccum line to? i don't have any fittings on the intercooler piping and would rather not weld one in if i don't have to.

for the third one, i have a 38 mm tial wastegate. the side fitting is the correct one to used to connect the wastegate to the ebc, correct? what exactly is the top one used for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

boost only source (something between the compressor outlet and TB)
Old 11-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vaccum line routing with an ebc? (99B16Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

boost only source (something between the compressor outlet and TB)</TD></TR></TABLE>

you just reworded the info i already have; that doesn't help much. should i run a line from the side port of the wastegate to the turbo, and T it to the 2nd port on the boost controller? would it be better to run it from the side port of the wg to the im, with a T to the 2nd port? or is that completely wrong? this is my first turbo install so it's all new to me.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vaccum line routing with an ebc? (99B16Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

boost only source (something between the compressor outlet and TB)</TD></TR></TABLE>

its does say pressurized air but it doesnt say boost ONLY. i mean it will still see boost even if its connected to the IM right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so you're saying that the line from the side port of the wg needs to be run to either the turbo or im, with a T to the #2 port on the boost controller? which would be better, the turbo or im?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are arguements for which source is better for the side port. i use the IM so that the motor sees the spring pressure (after pressure drop from the IM) with a boost controller it really wont matter i guess. it might make for shorter vaccum lines if you use the compressor fitting (you have one right?)

i believe either way will work, i have my profec b2 hooked up that way and it works just fine.

Modified by dpetro1 at 8:54 PM 11/9/2006
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, my turbo does have a fitting. on the instructions it said "turbo-discharge side" and i wasn't sure what that meant, but there's is a fitting on the intake side of the turbo. i guess i'll run the side wg port off the im then, so the reading on the boost controller will be more accurate.

i'll run 1 line from the im, run a T to split the line to the bov and boost controller. before the boost controller i'll have another T to separate the line for fittings #1 and #2. line for #2 will need another T, so it can go to fitting #2 and still continue to the side port of the wg. from fitting #3 the line will run to the top of the wg. does this sound ok?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first i would say dont tee too many times off the wastegate vacuum line. teeing for the boost controller is ok but i would run a seperate line to the bov.

for you it seems it would be much easier to just run the side port to the compressor hosuing fitting and tee that for port 2. port 1 to the IM and port 3 to the top of the wg. much easier than having 2 or 3 different lines going to the IM just for a boost controller.

read this and look at the right hand pic on page 12 and you will see what i mean
http://www.hksusa.com/info/download.asp?id=1740#
click download for the pdf version
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i'll do it off the turbo. the reason i wanted to do the im instead was so the reading on the boost controller would be more accurate, since the pressure will go down a little in the intercooler. however, i do have a boost gauge connected to the im so that's not a big deal.

thanks a lot for the help guys