Notices

Using 98ITR cams vs. GS-R Cams in a turbo environment.. Worth the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 98ITR cams vs. GS-R Cams in a turbo environment.. Worth the switch?

So I scored a set of 98 spec itr cams yesterday and was wondering how much more power can I add roughly by swapping the cams from gsr to itr? Has anyone had previously gsr cams then moved to itr? If you have, please post how much additional power did accomplish by installing the itr cams...

Also I wanted to know if its worth just installing the itr intake and gsr exhaust cam... will this be a better way to go..

Thanks
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Using 98ITR cams vs. GS-R Cams in a turbo environment.. Worth the switch?

No. If you have GS-Rs, just keep them until a change is needed. If the car is apart and you want to put in the 98 Type Rs, than that's cool too. But in turbocharger world, you won't see any differences. It's more of a personal choice at this point.

This isn't NA. GS-R camshafts can make more than enough power than most street and even race cars should reasonably use. You should look at the purpose of the car in conjunction with the turbocharger you're using to determine if a camshaft upgrade is needed. If it is, simply going to Type R isn't going to cut it. You're going to need aftermarket camshafts to have the better valve timing events that work best with a turbocharger.

Unlike most engines. The B-series GS-R camshaft is one of the best ones to use out of the box if you want to stay oem. But don't expect them to perform outside their levels without valvetrain upgrades.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much more power can you add by changing gsr cams to itr cams

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. If you have GS-Rs, just keep them until a change is needed. If the car is apart and you want to put in the 98 Type Rs, than that's cool too. But in turbocharger world, you won't see any differences. It's more of a personal choice at this point.

This isn't NA. GS-R camshafts can make more than enough power than most street and even race cars should reasonably use. You should look at the purpose of the car in conjunction with the turbocharger you're using to determine if a camshaft upgrade is needed. If it is, simply going to Type R isn't going to cut it. You're going to need aftermarket camshafts to have the better valve timing events that work best with a turbocharger.

Unlike most engines. The B-series GS-R camshaft is one of the best ones to use out of the box if you want to stay oem. But don't expect them to perform outside their levels without valvetrain upgrades.
Thanks Shodan, Yeah I have a fully built B16 head, last time that I took my car to get tuned. My tuner said that if I had type r cams I would of made more power. Between 30-50 hp according to him. So I was asking here to see if someone had gone from gsr to itr and noticed a big difference but from your answer it looks like this is not the case.....
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Re: How much more power can you add by changing gsr cams to itr cams

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
Thanks Shodan, Yeah I have a fully built B16 head, last time that I took my car to get tuned. My tuner said that if I had type r cams I would of made more power. Between 30-50 hp according to him. So I was asking here to see if someone had gone from gsr to itr and noticed a big difference but from your answer it looks like this is not the case.....
No. Nothing that a little boost pressure couldn't solve. Plus, the ITR cams that really show their effectiveness is the 00-01 model. The ITR98.... Not so much, even on the NA world.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Using 98ITR cams vs. GS-R Cams in a turbo environment.. Worth the switch?

The CTR/ITR cams do have a great vtec change-over sound though... you know, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Using 98ITR cams vs. GS-R Cams in a turbo environment.. Worth the switch?

Originally Posted by liam821
The CTR/ITR cams do have a great vtec change-over sound though... you know, if you're into that sort of thing.
Not as much in turbo vehicles, when tuned properly. But again, the 98ITRs weren't as prevalent
Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mines pretty rediculous lol but I dont know what GSRs sound like because I never ran them =/. Engagement is low enough that by the time I downshift I'm already in VTEC anyway.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Type R cams are worth a decent amount over GSR cams. I remember way back in the day when GSR's were considered turbo cams and type R's were a no-no for boost LOL. I think it was T1 that made sick power with type R cams and then the tide started to turn.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Type R cams are worth a decent amount over GSR cams. I remember way back in the day when GSR's were considered turbo cams and type R's were a no-no for boost LOL. I think it was T1 that made sick power with type R cams and then the tide started to turn.
Jeff Evans & Tony Palo were referring to the 00-01 TypeR camshafts, not the 98ITRs... They are seriously different.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Mines pretty rediculous lol but I dont know what GSRs sound like because I never ran them =/. Engagement is low enough that by the time I downshift I'm already in VTEC anyway.
same with mine. its very very noticeable
Old 03-07-2018, 05:43 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

if you do do itr cams please install inner valve springs on the exhaust side and while youre there you might as well replace the LMA's. you can get a set of skunk2 LMA for $99 or less.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only heard good things about going from gsr to itr cams on boost, even the 98 spec. I only have experience allmotor with going from gsr to 98 spec itr cams. I will say it was worth switching. Cant exactly remember but i think i went from 185whp(gsr) to 197whp(98 spec itr) on my b20vtec, both cams were tuned and degreed(very minimal movement on cam gears) in very similar weather conditions. Also track times went from 13.1 (gsr) to 12.8 (98 spec itr). Vtec before tuning was aggressive but after proper tuning it was hard to tell where the engagement was.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seelback
I've only heard good things about going from gsr to itr cams on boost, even the 98 spec. I only have experience allmotor with going from gsr to 98 spec itr cams. I will say it was worth switching. Cant exactly remember but i think i went from 185whp(gsr) to 197whp(98 spec itr) on my b20vtec, both cams were tuned and degreed(very minimal movement on cam gears) in very similar weather conditions. Also track times went from 13.1 (gsr) to 12.8 (98 spec itr). Vtec before tuning was aggressive but after proper tuning it was hard to tell where the engagement was.
that's good to know. Yeah that's what I keep hearing from different folks that have switched to type r's including the 98 spec, that they do notice a bit of an increase in power.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by justYncredible
if you do do itr cams please install inner valve springs on the exhaust side and while youre there you might as well replace the LMA's. you can get a set of skunk2 LMA for $99 or less.
I say keep the LMAs if in good shape. There's no need to change unless necessary. I've had mine resealed by the machine shop and spares in good order for years. There may also be some compatibility issues associated with the Skunk2 LMAs working with other aftermarket company camshafts