Notices

Used Turbo Items OK to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Turbo Items OK to buy.

Which are the turbo items which experience little to no tear and wear with according milage and OK to buy used?

The ones Im personally curious about are

Radiators
Tial Wastegate
Tial blowoff
Wideband 02's

The ones I can think off are piping, interior guages, oil lines, manifolds, downpipes, exhausts.

Thanks.

Plus if you have any more add ons or suggestions fell free.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (Vovchandr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vovchandr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Radiators
Tial Wastegate
Tial blowoff
Wideband 02's

The ones I can think off are piping, interior guages, oil lines, manifolds, downpipes, exhausts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
if the radiator is in solid condition-no leaks or cracks, it'll work just fine.
as for the wastegate and bov, most likely they'll be just fine, but you might want to dissamble them andgive them a nice cleaner prior to use if you have not personally seen them in action.
and the wideband, do you plan on tuning your car yourself? if not, the majority of tuners will supply a wideband for tuning purposes and once the tuning is complete, the stock narrowband o2 sensor is used.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (CivicVX94)

as long as it has no leaks, a used intercooler shouldn't pose any problems either
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 AM

The car will be tuned by the tuner, and even though he has a wideband, everybody tells me its a good idea to have my own for daily driving and reliability.

Also how about injectors?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (Vovchandr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vovchandr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car will be tuned by the tuner, and even though he has a wideband, everybody tells me its a good idea to have my own for daily driving and reliability.

Also how about injectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats wierd...no one i know dd's with a wideband
injectors are iffy....you might want to have them flow tested to makesure that they all flow the same amount of fuel or you could run into problems
Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run a UEGO...does that count?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vovchandr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car will be tuned by the tuner, and even though he has a wideband, everybody tells me its a good idea to have my own for daily driving and reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I not just a good idea, its an excellent one!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats wierd...no one i know dd's with a wideband </TD></TR></TABLE>
You must not know too many people then. Anyone I know making real power has a WB installed permanently and uses it everyday even if just as a monitor. I'm not kidding about the "everyone" part either. I have WB's in all 3 of my boosted street cars. There so well priced these days you would almost be stupid not to run one. Parts do fail and a WB is a great way to tell if something is not in check.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (White Smoke)

white smoke great suggestions to these non beliver types.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also run a wideband in all of my personal street cars, and recomend them to any one that has a decent setup that needs monitoring.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I run a wideband in mine. I think it's just as important as the oil pressure gauge. I would personally buy a new wideband, but the BOV will probably be ok.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1158)

The only thing I will never run is a used turbo. I would just rather spend a little extra for the piece of mind.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You must not know too many people then. Anyone I know making real power has a WB installed permanently and uses it everyday even if just as a monitor. I'm not kidding about the "everyone" part either. I have WB's in all 3 of my boosted street cars. There so well priced these days you would almost be stupid not to run one. Parts do fail and a WB is a great way to tell if something is not in check.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...seriously i can't think of anyone that i know who runs a wb daily and i knowquite a few people with tuned ls vtecs, single cams, and a few other boosted hondas....everyone jsut tunes with a wb and then plugs their wideband back in...damn news to me <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">white smoke great suggestions to these non beliver types.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
never said i didn't believe him, jsut no one around here that i know of runs one.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
95GSRTT

unless you are looking at your wideband constantly while you are driving, which is a bad idea, a wideband just like oil pressure or booste pressure can change within a blink of an eye. Sure there is that 1% chance you will catch it right when its letting go, but more than likely you were probably already running lean for a few seconds anyway.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you are looking at your wideband constantly while you are driving, which is a bad idea, a wideband just like oil pressure or booste pressure can change within a blink of an eye. Sure there is that 1% chance you will catch it right when its letting go, but more than likely you were probably already running lean for a few seconds anyway.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A few seconds is better than not knowing at all and something breaking. All my gauges are in my peripherals and just looking forward i can tell if the gauges aren't looking right.

If you have a semi clogged injector/fuel filter some fuel might be getting by and the motor could still be running alright, but you wouldn't know you had something wrong because there would be no gauge to glimpse at.

A wideband is kind of like a condom...You sleep with that one girl that one time when you were wasted, and you end up with genital warts (blown motor). You kinda wish you would have equipped yourself with that safety feature and atleast had a chance.......just an analogy to show that having one atleast gives you a chance. Would you rather spend $250 on a wideband or $1000+ on rebuilding motor????

Should save you some money on tuning not having to use the dyno's wideband setup.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (ImportMotorSpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A few seconds is better than not knowing at all and something breaking. All my gauges are in my peripherals and just looking forward i can tell if the gauges aren't looking right.

If you have a semi clogged injector/fuel filter some fuel might be getting by and the motor could still be running alright, but you wouldn't know you had something wrong because there would be no gauge to glimpse at.

A wideband is kind of like a condom...You sleep with that one girl that one time when you were wasted, and you end up with genital warts (blown motor). You kinda wish you would have equipped yourself with that safety feature and atleast had a chance.......just an analogy to show that having one atleast gives you a chance. Would you rather spend $250 on a wideband or $1000+ on rebuilding motor????

Should save you some money on tuning not having to use the dyno's wideband setup.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree wideband is definately a handy item to have. the way i see it some items dont just fail they might wear down over time, so u might notice your a/f under boost slowly go from 11.8:1 to 12.0:1 to 13:1. that said i run an oil pressure guage, a wideband and a boost guage for my setup.

to the op everythign u listed there would likely be safe to purchase from a reliable person.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Used Turbo Items OK to buy. (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you are looking at your wideband constantly while you are driving, which is a bad idea, a wideband just like oil pressure or booste pressure can change within a blink of an eye. Sure there is that 1% chance you will catch it right when its letting go, but more than likely you were probably already running lean for a few seconds anyway.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

All of my gauges have electronic warnings that will get my attention if any of the readings are out of spec. Even if I cant look at them when I am driving I will know a warning went off and can further investigate. As you said you may not be able to let off in time and could run a little lean for a few seconds. Since you do know you ran lean for some reason, are you going to go out and beat the **** out of it again.... NO You know that something went wrong and should proceed to investigate. All the people with out W/B's will continue beat the **** out of there cars and end up with a blown motors.