Notices

Use or not use? Damaged Dart block, damaged crank, rod and piston.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use or not use? Damaged Dart block, damaged crank, rod and piston.

OK, I want some opinions on a block, crank, rod and piston.

Block is a Dart block. Connecting rod broke and put a nice sized hole in the front of the block. Hole was repaired by welding an aluminum patch over the hole then epoxying 3 places inside the block where the hole was and where cracks were or were suspected to be. The bottom of one of the cylinders got "cut" by the connecting rod slinging around in there. It's the width of the connecting rod and about 1/4" up into the sleeve. The aluminum of the block was also smashed by the sleeve

Crank got so hot on one of the rod throws that it's blued all the way to the main journal on each side and there is bearing meted to the rod throw.

Crower billet rod has bearing material melted to it and it is blued about 1/2 of the way up the rod from the heat.

JE piston is scarred up from debris and the crazy side load that was excerted when the rod bearing failed the engine was still driven.

Here's a pic of the block's cylinder. I won't post pics of the block repair as that's no big deal. The pic sucks but that's as good as I'll be able to get.

What's you people's opinion on this? What would this setup be worth, is it worth re using and if it is, how much would you estimate it would cost to end up with a good rotating assembly that would be at 100% potential again using the above imformation provided?

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

send the block to dart, junk everything else
Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jared)

Wouldn't it be expensive to send it to Dart and have it fixed? BTW, I'm asking for another person, not myself. I would not run this setup. I just want them to know what's involved to get this up and going before they get started.

Thanks for the reply.

Ryan
Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (RyanA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't it be expensive to send it to Dart and have it fixed? BTW, I'm asking for another person, not myself. I would not run this setup. I just want them to know what's involved to get this up and going before they get started.

Thanks for the reply.

Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they seem to really take care of people who purchase their blocks. Reference this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2041969