Notices

Upgrading axles a few little hints I learned this past weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading axles a few little hints I learned this past weekend.

As some of you may know I upgraded my stock axles this past week to DSS Stage 4. I ran into a few problems that in the end made me miss Saturday’s race and caused a big oil mess. It all could have been avoided if I would have done a few simple things.

If you are planning on upgrading your axles and hubs a few days before a race here are a few things you may want to get to make everything go smoother.

First buy new bearings you just spent how much money for axles and hubs? Why cheap out and reuse your bearings and seals. If they go bad you could ruin your brand new hub. Make sure your local auto parts store or honda dealer has them in stock. Otherwise you will be running all over the place trying to find them.

Second if you are running after market rotors make sure they fit over the new hubs. My new hubs were just a tad bit bigger then stock but big enough that my after market rotors would not fit over it. Thank god my friend has a metal lathe in his garage and was able to cut them so I could get them to fit.

Third you are probably running extended studs with your new hubs so you can run slicks make sure you have open ended lug nuts.

The last problem I ran into and the whole reason I did not make it to the race was the dumb axle seal that goes into the passenger side of the tranny. After I put my car back together I took it for a ride everything seemed fine. Got home and there was a trail of oil up my driveway and a big puddle under my car. I thought maybe I did not have the seal in all the way when I put the new axles in. So I took it all apart and put the seal back in. Drove it around some more did a few burn outs everything seemed fine. The seal stayed in. I got about 20 min from the track and pulled into McDonald’s to use the bathroom and see an oil trail and puddle again.

The seal did not stay in. Had to limp the car home with only 4 gears lost 5th on the way back b/c I ran out of oil.

Went to acura and bought a new seal, a whole 11 bucks put it in and have not had a problem since. I thought my other seal would have been fine since it was only like 4 months old but for some reason it kept on popping out. Guess it was just worn out.

The moral of my post if you have never upgraded your axles/hubs and are planning on doing it a few days before a race don't skimp out on the most inexpensive parts replace them and it will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Upgrading axles a few little hints I learned this past weekend. (underpressure02)

thanks for the tip
Old 06-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good insight. Blown seal su%ks.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (squirtle)

definetly good tech
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Turbocivic94)

i just replaced my seal the opther day becuasde of a leak , jsut to find out Honda punched in the top of the bearing right behind the seal so it was leaking out of that. , just be glad youe box isnt fucked like mine.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:19 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just replaced my seal the opther day becuasde of a leak , jsut to find out Honda punched in the top of the bearing right behind the seal so it was leaking out of that. , just be glad youe box isnt fucked like mine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it the bearing on the passenger side? The diff bearing? What transmission?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

Bearing on the pass side, right behind the tranny seal. whole top of it is punched in. 3rd gear and syncro gone now
But Honda is supposed to be replacing the gearbox under warranty though.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:46 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Well that's good. The passenger side diff bearing [the one that you speak of] is a bitch to pull and replace IMHO. I'm glad Honda is taking care of it under warranty for you.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:21 AM

Honda-tech should have a forum for the what to do / what to dont .... this way we could avoid many mistake !!!

My tip of the day...: You plan a 1 hour job... you have to do this simple rule ( 1 x 3 ) = 3 hours...

Any good mechanic know this rule loll
Old 06-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda-tech should have a forum for the what to do / what to dont .... this way we could avoid many mistake !!!

My tip of the day...: You plan a 1 hour job... you have to do this simple rule ( 1 x 3 ) = 3 hours...

Any good mechanic know this rule loll </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will attest to that. Wifey always bugs me . . . "When will you be done" I tell her to plan on seeing me before midnight , but be happy if you see me sooner. i used to make plans and not be home at certain times and **** becuase problems rising. **** happens, learn to accept it .
Learn for next time.