Notices

Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way!

I know it's long but please read...........
Well.........I was hoping that right now i would be posting up a dyno sheet from last week but unfortunately thats not the case. A couple of you may have seen my last post my setup was nearly completed here at Wyotech(where i go to school) and I was to have D-tuned flown up here to tune it on the dyno.
Here's the story in a nutshell. I started the car up on a sunday night about a month ago and drive it 3 hours to wyotech, pa with no problems.....im preping for the tune and do a compression test and low and behold i have a blown hg. Next day i drive 3 hours to Wiseco Piston(where i used to work) get piston, and drive 3 hours back to school and was late by 1 hour. O well, i had to get it. Change the hg and pick D-tuned up at the airport the next day.
We arrive at school and D-tuned does his pre-tune checks including a compression test and we have low #'s again! So we get the car running and he was an extremely tough time trying to get the car to catch idle and as it turns out my hp racing intake manifold doesnt have provisions for iac built into it, just a little hole drilled on the back of the intake under the iac. Me not knowing couldnt figure out why the car wouldnt catch idle, now i know. The problem with this being that the car couldnt get enough air to idle that we had to add a SHITLOAD of fuel to get it to idle, eventually over the coarse of a week of driving it, washed out the rings. Keep in mind i didnt find this out until my tuning day!! So now the car it getting rebuilt again!! This time is going to be 85mm. The engine is now at the machine shop getting rebuilt and in the mean time I put a cage in it and bushings in the car front and rear. So without further delay her are a bunch of pics..........

Cage pics first. Cage was all made of 1 3/4 .134 wall DOM tubing and mig welded by me. All bends and fish mouths were done by me manually......

And here are some other random pics of the turbo(Blowzilla) and our shop

88 rx-7 with 20b full cage

Chevette with complete ground up frame contrustion, 4 link, 9" rear, 493 cubic inch big block

Old school Cutlass getting built 455, coilover suspension, ssbc big brakes, full cage

Fox body, fully built 410 ci, afr heads, lvl 10 dss block, 10.6:1, full cage

My buddy John doing his cam degree test, all of us have to do it

Another dc2's setup, golden eagle sleeved, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, sc61

1st gen dsm, balanced shafts removed, act clutch, 50 trim: Chevelle, full cage, coilovers, ford 9" rear end

Fiero getting 383 stroker swap!

240sx with sr20 swap getting a sick cage!

My buddy keith pnp a d16 head

My car getting bushings

Couple pics of my setup

Thats me in the front of the car

A couple parts of my setup werent able to make my goal of 600whp like my intercooler so I wasnt that mad that the motor was gone cuz i would've have hit my goal. The spearco ic is sold and getting a precision 750ph from boostfed.
Thanks for reading/looking......all comments welcome!
Ryan
Old 03-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work
Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome shop
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 AM

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

you go to school at wyotech?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hyaboosta)

looks good. D bars are not NHRA legal though. dont think that matters till 135+mph though

what kind of power are you expecting?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

#1 problem. I told you that about the sheetmetal intake, and you didnt believe me and told me that wasnt the case with this one.

#2 problem, I am sure I told you many times to not bother driving on those BS base maps you are working with. Should have just waited until Dtuned got down there to move the car.

I hate to say it, but you will keep learning the hard way from not listening man. Dont ask my advise if you arent going to take it. Its a waste of my breath.

On the positive note, the cage looks very good. Welds look clean. I alsways wondered how to get the int panels back in after a cage is in. lol. Should be fun
Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PM-Performance)

What's wrong with the sheet metal intake?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That shop has like every sick build on every car I've ever wanted to do, amazing.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mugencrxsir1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's wrong with the sheet metal intake?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you read the post or only look at the pics?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That shop has like every sick build on every car I've ever wanted to do, amazing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea too bad the rest of the school is pretty much a joke, glad im done there in 2 days
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 AM

that's an amazing shop. I love to see a shop that doesn't discriminate.

Awesome work on the cage
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way! (Teglove2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teglove2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Another dc2's setup, golden eagle sleeved, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, sc61

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey thats mine!!! and Im running CP pistons biotch haha
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coptzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea too bad the rest of the school is pretty much a joke, glad im done there in 2 days</TD></TR></TABLE>

even our chassis fab shop is kinda a joke. unless you own a domestic then its well suited for you.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way! (BoostedUp94)

um, ok then i can ask you since its yours. why the hell is the motor bolted in without there being a timing belt on it??
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn Pete dont get so upset brother. Btw, I dont remember at all you saying anything about the sheet metal intake not having provisions for the iac? Also, that wasnt the only problem. When me and D-tuned pulled the head that night we also discovered that the machine work on #1 cylinder was way too tight and severe scuffing was occurring. When we took the car out to do some street tuning, it felt strong, but when we pulled back in the shop there was oil all over the pistons on #1.........anyways my goal for the car is 600whp and I dont give a expletive if I have to sell my soul to get it. This is my 3rd motor and Ill keep building them til I get it! To fix the problem with the intake I've drilled a hole on top the iac and run a -8 line to the other side of the tb for air for the iac.........
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys we worked very hard on the cage!!
Ryan
P.S. Pete we werent driving on the base map. D-tuned sent me a map to get to school with, the problem was that at idle it was dumping fuel. Driving the car outta idle wasnt the problem.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way! (I Have an STD)

Im waiting on a new belt, spring and tensionor which I got today

besides its easy as hell to do with it in the car cuz thats all thats in my engine bay is what you see there. All thats in there is what it needs to run
Old 03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PM-Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#1 problem. I told you that about the sheetmetal intake, and you didnt believe me and told me that wasnt the case with this one.

#2 problem, I am sure I told you many times to not bother driving on those BS base maps you are working with. Should have just waited until Dtuned got down there to move the car.

I hate to say it, but you will keep learning the hard way from not listening man. Dont ask my advise if you arent going to take it. Its a waste of my breath.

On the positive note, the cage looks very good. Welds look clean. I alsways wondered how to get the int panels back in after a cage is in. lol. Should be fun</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Ill learn from another mistake and ask you for help when I build mine up, if you dont mind . Not to hijack Teglove2, your car. Post your setup.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (Falkien)

Damn, balla...been a long time since i seen/talked to ya...looks like things are coming along...glad they are workin out for you...im unboosted, and cars forsale...just flat broke! ****** college

Old 03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how often do they let you work on your cars there? i was talking to a uti guy and they said they let you bring your car in once a month so i was just wondering about wyotech
Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roll5104life)

depends...

in the Automotive core program you get two days every 6 weeks.

in the Chassis Fab program you get a full week in phase 1 and roughly 4 weeks straight in phase 2
Old 03-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedUp94)

Quick question:

Do you have to cut out the area's where the Floor Plates Go before you weld in the cage? Or do you lay the Plates down and weld them in place?

I have a 8 Point S&W cage and My buddy is about to weld it in. But I want to make sure He is doing everything correct.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not cut the floor up! You just weld them to the floor. Do you best to tie those plates in with all the rocker panels like we did on mine. That will strengthen the car considerably. What kind of welder are you guys using. We were using a lincoln 275 and it was very difficult. We had the wire speed at 90 and voltage at 16.0 but even at that you have to be very careful not to burn threw. Also, make sure someone is underneath the car with a damp rag following you as you weld or else the car will catch on fire. Just tell him to almost try to weld directly on the edge of the plates and "push" the weld onto the floor cuz if he trys to weld right in betweent the plate and the floor it will burn threw. Hope this helps a little.
Ryan
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way! (Teglove2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teglove2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

intercooler is off-center...that would annoy the **** out of me...everything looks nice though
Old 03-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way! (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

intercooler is off-center...that would annoy the **** out of me...everything looks nice though </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was gonna say, center that new 750 hp intercooler please?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 PM

thats the JDM offcenter look..

Quick Reply: Update: ls/vtec-t with newly installed cage! 56k no way!