Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Understanding Forged internals for a B16 turbocharger build - How does one start? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/understanding-forged-internals-b16-turbocharger-build-how-does-one-start-3328824/)

Mike Duffany 10-13-2018 04:54 PM

Understanding Forged internals for a B16 turbocharger build - How does one start?

Hey guys. Looking to boost my b16 DOHC, vtec 1995 del sol. Unsure of what dimensions for the compressor wheel and turbine wheel would be bestI’m pretty new to the car scene. I ended up purchasing a 1995 dohc honda del sol with a b16 vtec motor in it. I’m also attempting to maximize the amount of boost i can get with out blowing the motor up. Was looking to buy forged internals, (pistons, rocker arms, push rods, whatever else) but don’t really know where to start. just need to be pointed in the right direction or if anyone has any tips or ideas im all ears

TheShodan 10-14-2018 11:48 AM

Re: What turbo should i be looking for?

There is no best. only the questions of what is best for you?. You need to have a power/torque goal, and purpose for the car. (Drag race, circuit racing, street torque monster, Highway terror, etc)..

You also need to have a budget for the turbocharger itself (what is your maximum willingness to spend on a turbocharger alone? Do you know what supplemental equipment you'll need for that cost? Have a number for that.)

Know the compressor wheel /turbine wheel dimensions is just 1/3 of the story. Even the same dimensions can have different results depending upon the rest of the equipment used and from which company it came from. If you haven't answered the 1st two questions, you've got no business worrying about the dimensions of compression and exhaust wheel sizes and trims. Stay in your lane first.

Head on over to the FAQs of the FI forum to understand this information, both for the turbocharger and for the forged internal build. Especially check out the videos that are at the top of the thread in the link below. it's all there, but before you can get answers, you have to ask the right questions.
Good luck to you.

FI FAQs

Mike Duffany 10-14-2018 12:18 PM

i do know that i want it to be a “highway terror” using your terminology. My budget is 5-600$. As for the power/torque goal, id like around 225-250whp

TheShodan 10-14-2018 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Duffany (Post 51753540)
i do know that i want it to be a “highway terror” using your terminology. My budget is 5-600$. As for the power/torque goal, id like around 225-250whp

Hmm. that's a tall order. "Highway Terrors" are typically in the 600whp range, not 225whp. So, you're more into just being nice streetable "fun little bugger"..
Your best bet is the T3 Super 60, GReddy 16G or 18G (internally gated) or small GT2860RS. None of which are about 500-600 dollars, with the exception of the T3 Super 60. ($650).

Trying to get one used and "rebuilding it", is going to cost twice as much.

JRCivic1 10-14-2018 09:42 PM

Re: Understanding Forged internals for a B16 turbocharger build - How does one start

Is your budget listed above strictly for a turbocharger ??? As Shodan stated... a quality turbocharger will exceed this, so I think you are going to have to re-examine your plan. Also, you mentioned forged internals in your thread title, yet you are only talking about turbocharger wheels. You simply cannot add a 600 wheel HP turbo kit to a stock B16A3 and make that level of power safely. That will require a sleeved block, forged rods and pistons and the supporting parts to resist the stresses of 600 wheel HP. The pistons alone will bust your budget.

What is your total project budget ??? Don't forget about the transmission, axles, fuel system, and engine management. Rods, pistons and a big turbo are the obvious items needed... but there are MANY more.

TheShodan 10-15-2018 04:05 AM

Re: Understanding Forged internals for a B16 turbocharger build - How does one start

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51753744)
Is your budget listed above strictly for a turbocharger ??? As Shodan stated... a quality turbocharger will exceed this, so I think you are going to have to re-examine your plan. Also, you mentioned forged internals in your thread title, yet you are only talking about turbocharger wheels. You simply cannot add a 600 wheel HP turbo kit to a stock B16A3 and make that level of power safely. That will require a sleeved block, forged rods and pistons and the supporting parts to resist the stresses of 600 wheel HP. The pistons alone will bust your budget.

I'll take responsibility for that one, chief.. This was a bad attempt on my part to merge threads. This originally stated in the Civic 92-00 thread, got moved over to FI (not by my hand), and the OP has the forged internal thread that addressed similar questions. So this is both a turbocharger wheel/shaft and forged internal thread.

Apologies.

JRCivic1 10-15-2018 09:41 PM

No worries Shodan. We just need the proper information and responses from the OP to help guide them.

wunfstgsr 10-17-2018 12:47 PM

Just boost the stock engine!!! you will make close to your power goal as long as you have a good tuner!

K7-1Ktrevor 10-17-2018 02:20 PM

Definitely upgrade the pushrods, they won't hold more then 5psi maxxx

IndyTeg 10-17-2018 02:24 PM

Powerful. Reliable. Cheap. You can only pick two.

Powerful and reliable won't be cheap.
Powerful and cheap won't be reliable.
Reliable and cheap won't be powerful.

Cupajoe 10-18-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51756639)
Definitely upgrade the pushrods, they won't hold more then 5psi maxxx

dude what are you even talking about.

TheShodan 10-18-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cupajoe (Post 51757643)
dude what are you even talking about.

I think he meant that as a joke.

93h2beg 10-20-2018 08:14 PM

A few months ago my bud and I boosted his 94 b16 del sol.
230,xxx miles on the motor.
he bought an apexi kit from craigslist. Came with a HUGE aftermarket (not apexi) intercooler used kit was 1000$.
Put it on. bought a map sensor and was street tuning it with hondata. Injectors were maxed out at around 6k at 7psi.
he borrowed my 1000cc injectors and we saw 0% duty at idle lol.
we keep turning the boost up and got to 11psi. Head gasket let go, do we replaced the stock one and did arp studs then.
1 heat range colder of plugs that was it. Fun car.
did a cheap ebay 2.5" exhaust and cut out the crappy muffler and welded in a turbo muffler.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...1572c3444f.jpg
Then this happened.
Broke the turbo housing. Busted the intercooler piping. Car was junked.

no idea what horsepower it made, id guess in the 250 -300 range. It was right next to another buddies 310 hp dyno tuned b16 del sol. Both are black.

I dont see you boosting reliably for 600.
buy a kit, Greddy, apexi, or some name brand used kit.
good start and will get you close to your goals. Tune from there and enjoy. But triple or quadruple your budget and you may be able to get a decent setup that isn't from ebay.