Notices

Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so.

Ok, I have been driving around lately and I smell burning oil. You know that distinct smell? Well, I am constantly smelling it. My car has been shutting off on me all day today but I think its b/c we richened up the bottom w/ the Hondata. I hope thats why its turning off. Also, every once in a while, the car seems to buck back and forth. I used to think it was my ignitor going bad b/c of my old MSD but I went digital and it still sometimes does it. What is that? Its like a sometimes light hesitation but sometimes a very heavy hesitation.
Well, today I thought I would run a compression check. When I pulled out all the plugs, I saw smoke rising from the cylinders. Is that normal? Also, spark plug number 4 had oil around the threads. When I look into the chamber, the top of my piston LOOKED like it had oil on it but I'm not sure if it was oil. I know it was black but I assume that is normal. Well, the compression check came out 180 across the board so that checked out. So what is that "smell" that I keep smelling? Why does my car keep shutting off on me? And why the oil around the thread of spark plug number 4? And that damn bucking back and forth or hesitation, what is that? Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[Modified by turbogsr, 8:56 PM 4/20/2002]
Old 04-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (turbogsr)

Maybe your rings finally gave. The oil rings may have blown, but the compression rings may still be ok giving you a good reading.

art
Old 04-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that it is way too rich. Will cause all those things including the smoke
Old 04-20-2002, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (Arturbo)

But Art, if my oil ring went bad, wouldn't the bottom of my spark plug or electrode be full of oil also? Thats dry. Its just the thread of the spark plugs. I really hope you are wrong. I can't afford to take this damn motor apart right now. I'm hoping that it IS that I'm way too rich. And I'm also hoping that the reason for the oil around the thread is a bad seal. Any other opinions?
Old 04-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Better than steak

But Art, if my oil ring went bad, wouldn't the bottom of my spark plug or electrode be full of oil also? Thats dry. Its just the thread of the spark plugs. I really hope you are wrong. I can't afford to take this damn motor apart right now. I'm hoping that it IS that I'm way too rich. And I'm also hoping that the reason for the oil around the thread is a bad seal. Any other opinions?
Yes, good point. Another thing that is good is that all the compression # came out the same. I bet you are just running really rich.

art
Old 04-20-2002, 11:55 PM

Arturo, are you just telling me this to make me feel better? Or do you really think I have a point? You're normally correct on things and I don't want you to think I'm underestimating you in any way. I'm just really nervous here. My car has been acting really wierd. It also idles low. I'm hoping its just flooding. What about the bucking back and forth, any opinions on that? Should I be worried about my motor?
Old 04-21-2002, 02:05 AM
New User

u may have an oil leak that is burnin on a hot surface.

at least you dont have a combo of coolant and oil leakin from your engine like i do. i cant figure out where its coming from.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:11 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (dlplayboy)

When my fmu gets stuck my car has a tendency to buck back and forth also. It runs so horrible when its like that. I really think you are running rich because it very unusual that you will see all compression #s the same. In most cases one cylinder will give.
You have a built motor, right?

art
Old 04-21-2002, 02:16 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im no expert but I dont think the oil smell has anything to do with bucking feeling.. I would bet the oil smell is just some oil leaking and getting onto either the manifold or the downpipe and burning.. THe bucking back n forth sounds like fuel.. the oil on the spark plug # 4 no idea..
Old 04-21-2002, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its a stupid question...but are u sure it was oil and not gas.....from your desciption sounds lke you are running way rich....I was doing the same...smoke billowed out of the cyls and the oil dipstick....engine felt really hot to the touch..when i changed to a leaner map and cleaned and filed the plugs...everything was cool!

[Modified by MiraiZ, 8:52 PM 4/21/2002]
Old 04-21-2002, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (MiraiZ)

if u running to rich , does @ low rev feels heavy ???
Old 04-21-2002, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (VTEC_SiR)

if u running to rich , does @ low rev feels heavy ???
oh yeah... if your map is rich on the low end, your car will run like crap!!! If you need to be rich, be rich at the higher RPMS. Its not good to be too lean...but definately not good to be too rich (especially at the point where you car is bogging and smelling like gas..) let me guess...your car back fires everytime you rev?...if so...get yourself a good AF meter or go find someone with a similar setup and use their maps as a baseline and tune from there....saves money and time on the dyno!
Old 04-21-2002, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (MiraiZ)

the reason my askin is becoz im running 550cc injectors , and my low end feels so heavy , but top end is good ( black smokin tho )
u guys think its overkill to run 550cc's @6psi ??!??!??!?
Old 04-21-2002, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (VTEC_SiR)

the reason my askin is becoz im running 550cc injectors , and my low end feels so heavy , but top end is good ( black smokin tho )
u guys think its overkill to run 550cc's @6psi ??!??!??!?
Not at all...550cc's but you need a good fuel map to control them! Just get a good program and you'll find that the 550's are a huge plus...I wish I had them

[Modified by MiraiZ, 11:19 PM 4/21/2002]
Old 04-21-2002, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a gromet under the valve cover they sometimes go bad leaking oil into the plug hole.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh. Please say it ain't so. (DRAGLS)

The spark plug ring-seal-gasket-grommet thing. I have oil on my plug threads, and I know it's from that, and nothing else. They're a few bucks to replace, and only require you taking your valve cover off to do so. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:01 AM

Yea, I have a built motor. I don't think the bucking back and forth is from the oil either. I think the bucking back and forth is either from fuel or from spark. I'm really not sure. It doesn't always do it though. It does it only when it feels like doing it. I want to change my plug seal. I'm pretty sure thats the oil on the thread. I think that could be the burning oil smell also. But maybe not.