Notices

Txdragon's LSV build: I've decided to move toward the dark side..

Old 02-24-2021, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's LSV build: I've decided to move toward the dark side..

Woohoo! Parts finally trickled in since Yesterday; Sikky thermal intake mani gasket, skunk2 cam seal, TurboXS RFL BOV, new intercooler pipes, driver side axle, Hybrid Racing billet shifter bushings, and shifter ball seat bushing with dust cover, valve stem seals, crank pulley helper tool, and low profile valve cover fasteners.. (Pic below). Waiting on the clutch and working out pricing for rods, pistons, valve springs and retainers. Still need the linkage and throttle body. Should HOPEFULLY be here by Saturday. Still have to order the turbo hot parts too. Those and the clutch are all I need right now to get the engine in the car and rolling boosted. I'll probably stay stock internal til spring then pull it and send it for CSS and guts, then schedule the real tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by Txdragon:
Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Dress up kit looks nice... it’s those small touches that set things off
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Dress up kit looks nice... it’s those small touches that set things off
Thanks! I have usually steered away from *most* cosmetic applications but, eh, why not just this once. Lol!

Innovative linkage and Skunk2 TB came in today!

Discovered pretty quickly that there was gonna be an issue with the Hybrid Racing billet bushing..

Had to take the grinder to it and tame that bird **** weld.. Afterwards, I was able to get it fit. Got the shifter installed with the new ball seat bushing and such.. Mocked it all up and though it is not bolted in, it feels soooo smooth..

Got an email that the clutch has shipped! So hopefully should be here Monday or Tuesday. All that's left for now is the turbo hot parts and wastegate. Should be ordering those within the next week. One step closer!
Old 02-26-2021, 02:34 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

great progress so far, Roy. Wish I can find time to do some work on my setup. The BC camshaft and valve springs are still in their box, on the shelf in the garage. SMH...
Old 02-26-2021, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
great progress so far, Roy. Wish I can find time to do some work on my setup. The BC camshaft and valve springs are still in their box, on the shelf in the garage. SMH...
Thanks! I hear ya on that. A few times during the D build, had lots of stuff just sitting while waiting for other to either come in, or be ordered. It's all worth it in the end though.. Until we're ready to do it all over again. Lol!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:02 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

I try to avoid having parts on the shelf if I could. My garage is cluttered as it is already. haha

As for your B-series build, what kind of power are you hoping to achieve? Sorry if you have already mentioned this...
Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I try to avoid having parts on the shelf if I could. My garage is cluttered as it is already. haha

As for your B-series build, what kind of power are you hoping to achieve? Sorry if you have already mentioned this...
I'm going for 500 with room to grow to 700. With all I kept from the D build that would transfer to the B; injectors, turbo, intercooler, FPR, etc. I should have no troubles there. It will be stock block first, then internals with CSS and springs/retainers late spring.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

So are you using the GSR engine first, then have the LS/Type R engine later on if something fails? What about using the GSR Block with the type R head, Then use the LS block with the GSR head as a back up engine?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by highschooler
So are you using the GSR engine first, then have the LS/Type R engine later on if something fails? What about using the GSR Block with the type R head, Then use the LS block with the GSR head as a back up engine?
The original was going to be an LSV. I was tuning a turbo setup on the very GSR I have, for a buddy, who was trading me the LSV for the work. He then purchased an ITR longblock and decided to put a hold on further tuning of the GSR and work on the ITR. So, I offered to trade my built Z6 for the GSR and we did. Swap for swap. I still got the LSV setup but that will be set aside as a different project and the GSR will go into the EG.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Woohoo!! Got the clutch installed finally, I can now focus on getting the engine in the bay.

The following 3 users liked this post by Txdragon:
Old 03-09-2021, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had some time to tinker with the shitbox and finally got the engine in the bay, woot woot!! Getting the IC pipes mocked up and looks OK. Cold side fits a tad wonky but, meh. Not a big concern. Clocked the BOV so it wasn't aimed directly at the hood. Lol!

Gonna pull them back down so I can remove the IM and install that STUPID T-bracket.

Possible solution to another issue.. The IC pipes I just ordered only have a 2" hot side. This I never noticed when I ordered. Sigh.. The solution is take the old ones and have them cut and welded to a new hot side set. Lol!

Pretty sure it can be done.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I like that valve cover hardware and shift linkage interested to see how the billet shifter bushings work for you
Old 03-14-2021, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Gonna pull them back down so I can remove the IM and install that STUPID T-bracket.

Possible solution to another issue.. The IC pipes I just ordered only have a 2" hot side. This I never noticed when I ordered. Sigh.. The solution is take the old ones and have them cut and welded to a new hot side set. Lol!
Do you think it's easier to remove the intake manifold for that back engine mount bracket rather than putting the bracket on from underneath, or having the bracket on already when you put the engine in the car? I've always left the intake manifold on, but it's a hassle to get that rear mount bracket in that small space. I might try your way of doing it, by removing the intake manifold, next time I do it.
For intercooler piping, I've used ATP turbo before and it makes it easier for me since they have so many couplers available, FYI...
Silicone Connectors | atpturbo.com
Old 03-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think it's easier to remove the intake manifold for that back engine mount bracket rather than putting the bracket on from underneath, or having the bracket on already when you put the engine in the car? I've always left the intake manifold on, but it's a hassle to get that rear mount bracket in that small space. I might try your way of doing it, by removing the intake manifold, next time I do it.
For intercooler piping, I've used ATP turbo before and it makes it easier for me since they have so many couplers available, FYI...
Silicone Connectors | atpturbo.com
Yes. Easiest way I've found to remove/install the rear mount T-bracket is removal of the IM. Otherwise, the shift linkage and exhaust is in the way from underneath. I didn't think about ATP for piping. May give them a looksie.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

I always set the "T" bracket in while the engine is going into the bay... almost all the way in but still room to drop the "T" bracket in under the intake manifold.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRCivic1:
Old 03-14-2021, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some cutting and reconfiguration, and I have a new Hot pipe horseshoe. Lol! I really need to invest into a tig so I don't have to continue outsourcing work I could otherwise do myself.

Also got the wastegate in. Turbosmart Hypergate 45. Looks promising!

Should have word before long on the rest of the hot parts. Woohoo!!
DaX
Old 03-25-2021, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of goodies today!! Got the hot parts in. Some Jason Waters Tuning looking pretty good. I have the dump tube oriented incorrectly here.. Don't judge me, was a long day. Lol!

Aannnd, I did a "thing".. Went ahead and ordered a tig/stick welder. AC/DC 120/240. Looks promising. I got it from Jegs, hadn't heard anything bad about em. Got my damn Argon bottle after HOURS of phone calls and shopping. Finally found a good deal on 100% Argon 125cf bottle for like, 238.00 out the door. Had no idea they were THAT expensive.. Sheesh..

I'll break the real seal on it tomorrow when I get my IC piping measured and cut. I am gonna need to go back to the drawing board most likely, removing and repositioning my IC.. Then, on to some exhaust! I'll certainly have more pics and *hopefully* will have first startup within a couple weekends..
Old 03-26-2021, 04:59 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Did you buy a bottle or lease? Based on price, it sounds like you bought a bottle, which I think is better in the long run...as long as the bottle you bought has plenty of years left on it's certification. Owning your own bottle, you can get it filled anywhere and it's cheap.

What kind of tungsten do you have? If you don't know...what color band is on one of the ends?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

That manifold is beautiful Nice that you decided to get a tig, it sure beats having to rely on someone else or messing with a spool gun. Best of luck with your welding adventures!
Old 03-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Did you buy a bottle or lease? Based on price, it sounds like you bought a bottle, which I think is better in the long run...as long as the bottle you bought has plenty of years left on it's certification. Owning your own bottle, you can get it filled anywhere and it's cheap.

What kind of tungsten do you have? If you don't know...what color band is on one of the ends?
Yeah, I bought it. The hardware store near me that has welding gas sells them as well, for about 175 more per bottle. EEK!! I got it through Airgas and funny enough, they service the hardware store by me. Lol! I went with 1/16 2% lanthanated tungsten. According to all the info I could dig up the last couple days, that particular size and type is pretty good GP and really good for light aluminum and stainless, everything a growing car build could need. Lol! Those electrodes are FRIGGIN' pricey! All the places I've been to the last few days sells them about 2-5 bucks EACH!! I got 2 packs of 10 online for 10 bucks per pack. Through MTS I believe it was.. I also decided to go with mig wire rather than tig rods specifically. Costs are much better that way but may need to twist a couple strands together in the event you need something bigger. Also, I am 200% positive I'm gonna need a longer air hose. The one with the machine was only about 2ft. Found a used Craftsman tool cabinet locally that I'll be inquiring about today to see about turning this into the welding table. We shall see! I dunno though.. I'm getting the stinkeye from the wife as the spending keeps going. Lol!
Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today was IC pipe configuring day!! Got the turbo put back on the mani and started clocking.. Then setting up the outlet..

This manifold finally puts my outlet above the trac bar radius arm. On the D, it was a tiiight squeeze to get above it.

Adding the IC inlet pipe, we see this needs attention!

Some measuring, cutting, cussing, MORE measuring, MORE cutting, then some de-bur and grinding and voila!!

Decided to test fit the bumper to ensure it would clear everything it needed to.. Turned out great!

After all that, it is now time to start getting the tig dialed in.. Not the best of welding setups but, eh.. Works in a pinch!

So, after getting set up, 3ft of wire and LOTS of cussing, I got the AC settings about right for my IC pipes.. No laughing though!!

And after another hour of practice, I see why a glass top table might not have been the best surface on which to weld..

So.. Today's lessons were strong.. Lesson 1: Tig is MUCH harder than it looks and 2: Tempered glass explodes when it gets overheated..
Old 03-26-2021, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The exhaust manifold looks amazing. Good work on the intercooler piping.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The exhaust manifold looks amazing. Good work on the intercooler piping.
Thanks! I don't feel comfortable enough right now with the tig to weld my actual pipe set together just yet. I have a little more scrap I can work with to practice though. Today, I'll be using the foot pedal and seeing if that way is more comfortable to me. We are supposed to get rain later today so I'll have to make this an after morning coffee event. Lol! The manifold has caught the eyes of folks in my local Honda community for sure. I honestly couldn't be happier with it!
Old 03-27-2021, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohisofly
That manifold is beautiful Nice that you decided to get a tig, it sure beats having to rely on someone else or messing with a spool gun. Best of luck with your welding adventures!
Thanks! It is a work of art, isn't it? On the decision to get the tig, that's exactly what prompted me to do so. I have my fluxcore welder and it wasn't going to cover everything I needed it to so, yup. With this one being tig and stick, it covers just about everything I can use a welder on, not to mention anything I need it for. We have a small farm. Really more like a place with a lot of animals. Lol! Mostly chickens and ducks but, the welder is definitely a must so, the wife wasn't too grouchy about the buy. I need more practice with it, for sure. Today will be using the foot pedal. I gotta keep it short though because my darn hood won't be here til Tues, all I'm using are my goggles and my face feels like I've been in the desert for about 17 hours. Lol!
Old 03-28-2021, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some practice in with the foot pedal yesterday and I'm on the fence about it.. Kinda seems like a whole new and different machine that way. More practice needed there. Lol! Removed the pedal and hand-torched some stainless for a bit. After I got it dialed in to where I figured it was doing OK, got this below.

I was running out of rod so.. This was also the last weld I got in before putting it all away for the remainder of the afternoon.. It was due to start raining at any moment and I had JUUSST barely got things in the shed when it started. Lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Txdragon's LSV build: I've decided to move toward the dark side..