Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

I can hardly wait to get it to the dyno!
so... All those that have gone to the dyno, I've read some checklists and such and all seems ok, but are they super picky about turning me away for little ****? I have no dripping leaks, am mechanically sound (as far as I know, and for now), and I haven't done all the valve seals yet so I get some smoke after boost under certain conditions. I can avoid this if I put it in neutral after boosting for a moment, then get back into the next gear. For instance, if I boost in 3rd gear, I get off the gas after my pull, put in neutral a couple seconds, go to 4th, no smoke; OR if I go immediately to the next gear and boost again, no smoke. If I ride in vac for a bit right after boosting, poof. Some smoke. It's not a mosquito killing cloud either, but it is noticeable. Then it goes away when cruising again.
That gonna get me tossed off?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I can hardly wait to get it to the dyno!
so... All those that have gone to the dyno, I've read some checklists and such and all seems ok, but are they super picky about turning me away for little ****? I have no dripping leaks, am mechanically sound (as far as I know, and for now), and I haven't done all the valve seals yet so I get some smoke after boost under certain conditions. I can avoid this if I put it in neutral after boosting for a moment, then get back into the next gear. For instance, if I boost in 3rd gear, I get off the gas after my pull, put in neutral a couple seconds, go to 4th, no smoke; OR if I go immediately to the next gear and boost again, no smoke. If I ride in vac for a bit right after boosting, poof. Some smoke. It's not a mosquito killing cloud either, but it is noticeable. Then it goes away when cruising again.
That gonna get me tossed off?
probably not, but it will be noticed and will concern the tuner. But every tuner is different, so you need to talk with whomever you're using
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Primary reason for asking is I've gotta travel deeper into TX for a dyno. Tulsa does not tune Neptune and Rowlett is only tuning R35 right now. Leaves me with Houston or Austin. Possibly San Antonio. None of them less than a day's drive for me. 7-8 hours. I' hate to travel that far to get turned away for some nit-picky crap. I do intend on getting it taken care of before the dyno, I just don't intend on doing it myself. I replaced one and said, **** this noise. I'll pay somebody to do it. Lol!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Primary reason for asking is I've gotta travel deeper into TX for a dyno. Tulsa does not tune Neptune and Rowlett is only tuning R35 right now. Leaves me with Houston or Austin. Possibly San Antonio. None of them less than a day's drive for me. 7-8 hours. I' hate to travel that far to get turned away for some nit-picky crap. I do intend on getting it taken care of before the dyno, I just don't intend on doing it myself. I replaced one and said, **** this noise. I'll pay somebody to do it. Lol!
You really have no option. The tuner NEEDS TO SEE THE CAR before he/she can determine that. It's great you're going through the checklist, but be prepared to head to a Motel 6 if need be. My tuner is over 3-4 hours away, and you have to plan ahead. I wasn't turned away from him once, but let's just say that the session was cut short because of a few things that weren't secured and ready. I still had to pay for the session. After his written list of recommendations, I came back later on in the year and finished with flying colors.

You can talk to your tuner on the phone until blue in the face, but he/she needs to visually see the car.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So basically a roll of the dice either way? Great.. Lol!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:04 AM

Old 04-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a picky tuner if it gets throw off dyno bc it smokes some? I have never heard about that.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's pretty picky. I mean, upon physical inspection, everything looks good. I just took it for a road test to finalize my own street tune and am happy. Except.. I need a torque damper. Got on a good pull and shifted, engine smacked the firewall.. D'oh!! So that's next on my list. My mounts are ok, not torn but certainly old. Maybe time to see about some good inserts? Probably cheaper that whole mounts. I'll look into it either way.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 PM

Yeah, that's pretty picky. I mean, upon physical inspection, everything looks good. I just took it for a road test to finalize my own street tune and am happy. Except.. I need a torque damper. Got on a good pull and shifted, engine smacked the firewall.. D'oh!! So that's next on my list. My mounts are ok, not torn but certainly old. Maybe time to see about some good inserts? Probably cheaper that whole mounts. I'll look into it either way.
Ingalls engine torque dampened "stiffy". Works perfect and is even adjustable. I got one myself on stock engine mounts
Old 04-20-2018, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Ingalls engine torque dampened "stiffy". Works perfect and is even adjustable. I got one myself on stock engine mounts
Got one in my sights right now, Thanks! Decent price and would certainly help tame the twist. Lol!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll finally install my vac manifold today. I didn't because I didn't think it would be necessary to have only 2 lines on a 6 port block. With the idea of moving my Wastegate source now, I guess it'll actually be worth the space taken.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOOOOHOOOO!!!! Finally found a tuner that works with Neptune that's not super far... Well, yes and no. 5 hour drive for me, BUT... I gave them my mod list and told him my goal, he says, "That's all you want from that?!" I'm shooting for 300whp and he says I am certain to hit it. Larger injectors will be needed afterwards. The bottlenecks past 350 is injectors and turbo. I plan on upgrading those later anyways.
So.. Some positive info from the tuner. Just gotta set a date. I'm awaiting a call once they finish the next session to get pricing and availability.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Set VTEC to 5k and got some WOT pulls in today. WOW is all I have to say. I can feel the VTEC transition now instead of just hearing it lol! From 3rd gear about 4.5k through 5th gear WOT is spooky. I'm loving it!
Makes me more anxious to get it tuned. 4 weeks to go,, Sigh..
Old 04-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Mite want to stop boosting in 5th
Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
Mite want to stop boosting in 5th
Certainly noted. Why?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly noted. Why?
boosting in 5th, especially at low rpms, puts a ton of load on the engine
Old 04-22-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
basically, it is because of the fact that engine cylinder pressures and temperatures EGTs are at dangerous levels in higher gears like 5th gear, while using forced induction for extended periods of time. (over 10-15 seconds)

once you are properly tuned, you can then enjoy the benefits of going through all of the gears and under to enjoy your spirited driving.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
Originally Posted by TheShodan
basically, it is because of the fact that engine cylinder pressures and temperatures EGTs are at dangerous levels in higher gears like 5th gear, while using forced induction for extended periods of time. (over 10-15 seconds)

once you are properly tuned, you can then enjoy the benefits of going through all of the gears and under to enjoy your spirited driving.
Thank you for the tip! I hadn't thought about that and had no idea it would be considered detrimental. It WILL NOT happen again..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a Hallman Pro MBC coming since the cheap one I had went **** up. Props to TheShodan for this recommendation!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I skipped a few steps in the pics here, but I can now listen for evil detonation! Simple and effective little tool..
Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

looks cool.
Doctor racing haha.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
looks cool.
Doctor racing haha.
Lol!! It has been a wonderful tool today. I have been able to adjust my timing without worry, and have discovered the torque this thing had hidden lol,! I set my VTEC point even later; 5500 rpm. I had it initially at 4800 and it just seemed to kinda fall on its face a bit when it kicked in. I could feel the transition and it just sorta..... Meh. Now, it is almost a seamless transition. I think that's what i'm aiming for? Either way, I've made pretty good progress today.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hows your impressions on the RSRs?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Hows your impressions on the RSRs?
I like them! They're very lightweight and give a better looking stance. I think they'd look better with some Nitto NT05's on them. Lol! Being that they're 15s, I'm much less limited on the tires I can mount. I'm going to have them powder coated in the near future. I like the gunmetal look, think that's the winner, but am remaining flexible on my options.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm nearing my 500 mile oil change after the rebuild. I added about half a quart to it this morning. I still need to change those damn valve seals.. Sigh.. I've mitigated the smoking by changing some of my driving habits; no coasting in gear downhill or downshifting to stop, going to neutral immediately after boost if i'm not shifting to the next gear. Trying to keep it out of vac while driving... Still seems to be eating up some oil.

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..