Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Yeah.... this thread is a emotional roller coaster lol
Ha! Yes it has, I've been on the edge of my seat!!

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Thanks for the look! It's been a fun experience for sure. I've learned so much and still feel like I don't know ****. Lol! If I had the opportunity to do everything all over from scratch tomorrow, would I? No. I've gotten to where I am now because of what I did then and I may have spent more money in the end, but the experience I've gained is well worth it.
Stuff like this definitely teaches lots of good stuff.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

For sure. I ran the numbers on pipe sizing and determined in planning that 2.5 was well within what I needed and more. I wasn't saying I needed larger piping, just better fitting. Whether it's a GAW pipe kit or an Ebay universal, these need to be replaced. Honestly, it's the hot side that needs the attention.
You will need it to be custom piping then. Is there any ways to securely mount that Vibrant FMIC?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
You will need it to be custom piping then. Is there any ways to securely mount that Vibrant FMIC?
Absolutely! I have brackets attached now to the lower radiator core support that the Vibe is resting on. Those bend fairly easily though and I have to adjust them at least once a day. I'm going to use my 3/16ths brackets in their place. I also **think** I still have the bumper sissy bar dealie around somewhere; the support.. I had to remove it completely because the P.O.S. body kit front bumper would NOT play well with it attached. I'm just not 100% sure it made the move here when we bought this place. Eh, 15 bucks at the boneyard if I need to grab another.
I know it looks like it's sitting super low to the ground but it really isn't. The pic exaggerates drastically! The bottom of the IC is only about 1/2" past the lower support. It goes up to the second-ish row of fins. It looks really low because of the angle and no bumper support brace; I can fit my hand sideways perfectly between the IC and the ground with a little room to spare, and I have some bear paws. Lol!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohisofly
^ couldn't say it better myself, my crx was my first car. I love the challenge of building a car

Intercooler looks good & that turbo manifold is beautiful what's next?
Thanks! Next is as discussed; IC pipes. As far as the build, I'm working with schedules to see about dyno tuning. I had a doctor's appointment today and got to take it for a good ride - my doc is over 100 miles out. Got my next knee surgery scheduled so I won't see the dyno for at least another month.
The future of the D is larger injectors and E85 conversion.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about it being upside down, don't know why it did this. The sound is lagged as well. You get the idea though..

Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a pesky problem I was trying to chase down and I found it! My tps would not read 100% when I went to the floor. I got a 100% manual sweep with my hand on the TB though. Nothing under the pedal, nothing bound.. Stumped for a bit then finally enlisted some help.. Had my son mash the pedal while I was under the hood and it looked good... UNTIL I pushed the wheel by hand.. Noticed it still had a good deal of travel left.. I hadn't thought about it but, I never adjusted the throttle cable bracket after the rebuild.. Adjusted it proper, now I get 100% when I hit the pedal every time!
With THAT being said, I am now running a tad rich at WOT. lol!! 10.96 @18psi. I don't think that's rich enough to get in a bunch over.. In fact, think I'll stamp it til dyno tuning.. It's a smooth, gradual increase from pressure build to full boost from 12.2 to 10.96.

In other news, next surgery is in a week. It'll be a longer recovery from this one so, dyno won't be til Aug or so. I'm gonna say also; this time around, I'm NOT leaving there without a printout. Lol! Last time, the place had a printer issue and then tried emailing it to me but the PDF file corrupted.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

what's the deal with the faulty reading on the speedometer? The TPS sensor had something to do with it??
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what's the deal with the faulty reading on the speedometer? The TPS sensor had something to do with it??
Faulty speedometer reading? It's spot on. I had a throttle issue where my tps wasn't registering full voltage with the pedal but turned out I needed to adjust my cable bracket.

There is a sound delay in the video. Not sure if it's the camera or when it uploaded.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

haha...gotcha. I was about to say.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.. NOW my street tune is set til dyno! Got a good WOT pull dialed in.. 3rd gear pull from 3k to redline. 20.5 psi, 16.75 ignition, 10.9 AFR at peak boost. AFR starts about low 12s at boost build and gradually decreases to 10.9.

My oopsie on this pull was I smelled oil pretty good afterwards so shut it down and took a look.. My breather box, the stock one, managed to pop out. I guess that answers my question of, "did I tighten those bolts?" The bolts managed to back out.. Sigh.. Popped it back in place and will grab some to bolt it back down today. Other than that, it felt great. Could probably use some timing adjustments but I wanna just save that for dyno day. It's not getting ANY detonation and feels good so, I'll take it for now. As for the boost level, when I upped it this time, it feels great from the bottom to the top. Feels more responsive from pressure build til full. Is that just me? I dunno...
Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Nice! I'm hoping to start bolting go-fast parts on in about 2 weeks and maybe hit the dyno by the end of July. Hope your surgery goes well.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Nice! I'm hoping to start bolting go-fast parts on in about 2 weeks and maybe hit the dyno by the end of July. Hope your surgery goes well.
Thanks, brutha. I'm patiently waiting those install pics!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.. For future reference, the 2 little bolts needed to secure the stock black breather box are M6-1.0x10mm. Picked some up from O'Reilly's for 4 and change since mine somehow ******* vanished... 4 bolts in the container, so I guess there's spares. Lol!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

what black breather box do you speak of? LOL

just kidding man. I removed mine and connected a -10AN braided line to the catch can.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what black breather box do you speak of? LOL

just kidding man. I removed mine and connected a -10AN braided line to the catch can.
I tried eliminating it via the catch can but the car ended up smoking like a chimney. Had to get another pcv valve and hooked that back up. No more smoke but, now just have an expensive valve cover vent. My guess is that because the catch can I have is not vented, the pressure has nowhere to go.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

You will need to vent the valve cover as well. If you just connect the rear "black breather box", it will smoke.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will need to vent the valve cover as well. If you just connect the rear "black breather box", it will smoke.
Despite the infamous writeup that discusses the various pros/cons of each possible layout, various diagrams, pictures, videos, etc.. The catch can seems to be whipping my ***..
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Despite the infamous writeup that discusses the various pros/cons of each possible layout, various diagrams, pictures, videos, etc.. The catch can seems to be whipping my ***..
I think that's only because you keep trying to substitute some parts for others, and/or are missing a few various types of connections due to time/cost constraints. You kinda have to find one method that you're closest to being and finish it with the exact parts that are needed left for completion.

Again, there is a list of parts layout in the writeup, In addiion, posting photos of what you have already in detail will help in resolving the last steps of a proper catch setup.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I think that's only because you keep trying to substitute some parts for others, and/or are missing a few various types of connections due to time/cost constraints. You kinda have to find one method that you're closest to being and finish it with the exact parts that are needed left for completion.

Again, there is a list of parts layout in the writeup, In addiion, posting photos of what you have already in detail will help in resolving the last steps of a proper catch setup.
I have all the parts listed that I need for my particular setup, with one exception of the can itself, evidently. It is not vented but, the way it is supposed to be hooked up is one hose on the valve cover port and the other vented to atmosphere. I connected the other hose at one point to the black box; got lots of smoke at engine idle. I eliminated my pcv valve, got smoke.. Drove 65 miles to get a new pcv valve, hooked up pcv to black box and the catch can as it is now (one hose VC, one hose venting) no smoke.. **shrug**
I feel retarded over this.. Full ******* potato reached..
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stretching her legs today. Got a 4 hour drive planned (round trip). 2 hours to get to my doc's office. Made a couple adjustments on the tune so I'll have a couple more datalogs. I've gotta go easy on the laptop though, it needs a new battery since it only has about an hour of up time. Lol!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck on all acounts! Have fun with it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Took some advice to pull some timing from the top of my boost pull.. Went from 16ish to 14.75, brought AFR up to LOW 12s.. Holy hell! If I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn I caught a big ol' catfish rather than holding a steering wheel. It went from monster to beast in a few adjustments.

3rd gear WOT pull.. 12.01 afr, 14.75 ignition, 21 psi, up to 6900 rpm.. And it didn't feel like it was even trying to let up.

I also changed my rev limits. Dropped my "new" redline down to 7500 and rev limit to 8k, instead of 8k and 8400.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Are you using knock ears, or just adjusting timing based on gut/knowledge of what works? I'm pretty sure I understand what timing is, but it's one of those things I'm nervous about playing with right now.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Nice! Are you using knock ears, or just adjusting timing based on gut/knowledge of what works? I'm pretty sure I understand what timing is, but it's one of those things I'm nervous about playing with right now.
I have a det can, yes. I'm going primarily on my last final tune as a baseline though. Cheating a little, yeah, but if I hear anything funny.. oh no!! That being said..
THIS happened today. .

My oil return hose split.. I was cruising, nothing fancy and out of boost, my oil light flickered.. I started slowing down to catch the next safe place to stop then, the oil light lit solid.. **** that!! I shut down immediately and pulled into somebody's driveway (on the shoulder of the road still). See smoke like mad under the hood.. I see the oil but not the problem.. I slapped myself down on the 900000 degree pavement and see it's coming from the return hose. I pull it off, bare handed, ******* ouch.. That is what I had.. I'm about an hour away from home at this point and the wife was not available to get to me as she was on grandchild duty. Fortunately, I have full roadside assistance through my insurance, towing up to 50 miles, 5 gallons of fuel, blah blah.. Tow truck was dispatched but, an hour away.. 99 degrees, no cloud in sight.. Challenge accepted!! I had another bit of hose to replace it so, I did that roadside waiting for the truck.
Waited an hour and 10 minutes to be towed 7 miles up the road so I can buy oil to get me home.. Sigh.. Got oil, started her up, all was good! Made it home and there she will sit now until after my surgery. I need to figure out why that happened and make sure it doesn't again.
Ideas? I believe the hose that was used was heater hose, I found the receipt in my parts box; this is the only lead I have. I think it was degraded after only 622 miles of oil exposure and heat. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how we learn what to do by first learning what we're NOT supposed to do. Lol!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:09 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Dammit man, too close of a call. Glad you saved it.

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..