Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon.

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Wouldn't you be able to replace the O-ring on the valve? The HKS pull-type design is **supposed** to prevent boost leak, so it would seem that if it's leaking, it may just need a new o-ring. Or maybe from the flange? Hmmm..
I don’t think is leaking, I just wasn’t sure if the age would be a problem
Old 06-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Well.. I'm confused.. This is the inner workings of the Mishimoto catch can I recently received.. Am I missing something here?!

Old 06-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
I don’t think is leaking, I just wasn’t sure if the age would be a problem
The stock valve can't take much more than 14-17psi. pull skittering isn't strong enough. that's why there is the SSQV, and the Super SQV Race valve that uses a stiffer spring
Old 06-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Well.. I'm confused.. This is the inner workings of the Mishimoto catch can I recently received.. Am I missing something here?!
That isn't the style of reservoir you want to use on a FI Honda
Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
That isn't the style of reservoir you want to use on a FI Honda
It said it was for turbo or N/A..
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 PM

It said it was for turbo or N/A..
that's just advertising. its for NA.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
that's just advertising. its for NA.
So then saying it is for both applications when it is not would be false advertising..
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM

So then saying it is for both applications when it is not would be false advertising..
You said it, not me. The company itself may not know the difference or see any harm in stating it works for both. Theoretically it might, but not as a practical matter in a real application, or at least not ideal. It just doesn't look as though it is a design to do both, that's all we're saying. If you want to battle with them over the nomenclature go ahead, do what you feel is in your best interest. But I mean, to me (and apparently also to Go-Auto,) it doesn't look like this would work in the way you need for your application.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You said it, not me. The company itself may not know the difference or see any harm in stating it works for both. Theoretically it might, but not as a practical matter in a real application, or at least not ideal. It just doesn't look as though it is a design to do both, that's all we're saying. If you want to battle with them over the nomenclature go ahead, do what you feel is in your best interest. But I mean, to me (and apparently also to Go-Auto,) it doesn't look like this would work in the way you need for your application.

I've hooked it up with 1 hose to VC port and the other to atmosphere. I kept the pcv valve intact and plugged in. No engine smoke. Lol! So basically, it's doing for me right now what a 9 dollar breather filter would have done, except provides more aesthetic "ooh's and aah's". Oh well, it was a credit purchase, no biggie. I could sell it locally and recoup most of my funds, or keep it for the looks..
Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

ditch that CC and get something that actually works. You don't have to spend $$$ for one either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AN10-Polish...gAAOSwcB5cr-1o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Breathe...ty!28107!US!-1
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

^ what he said

If you're set on keeping that catch can you could just throw some steel wool in there and get creative with baffling, up to you if it's worth the trouble or not

Build is looking great, save the single jingle!

But in all honesty props for building the z6, it's turning out great. Glad to see you went with the action clutch, I was also concerned with other brands due to the springs not being completely enclosed or at least the area better reinforced. My clutch prior to the action 6 puck sprung clutch had the springs wobble out far enough to wear down the outside edges of my flywheel bolts. It made an interesting noise to say the least

Keep at it, in for updates
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohisofly
^ what he said

If you're set on keeping that catch can you could just throw some steel wool in there and get creative with baffling, up to you if it's worth the trouble or not
At this point, it would make more sense to work with what I've got rather than spend MORE money on the same part. A baffle/vent for this can would be easy enough to fabricate.
Originally Posted by ohisofly
Build is looking great, save the single jingle!

But in all honesty props for building the z6, it's turning out great. Glad to see you went with the action clutch, I was also concerned with other brands due to the springs not being completely enclosed or at least the area better reinforced. My clutch prior to the action 6 puck sprung clutch had the springs wobble out far enough to wear down the outside edges of my flywheel bolts. It made an interesting noise to say the least

Keep at it, in for updates
Thanks much! As for the clutch, I've run across my fair share of haters on Action. However, in usual fashion, they all only seem to "know a guy that knew a guy that heard some guy had a friend that his friend's cousin's neighbor had trouble with them". Lol! Nobody has been able to show personal documentation, like I can with XTD, of what failed and why.. Le Sigh..
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to your local hardware store, or find a piece of abs plastic you have laying around, hole saw it to the ID of the catch can drill a bunch of holes and secure it. Presto, one run-on sentence later and your problem is solved!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Go to your local hardware store, or find a piece of abs plastic you have laying around, hole saw it to the ID of the catch can drill a bunch of holes and secure it. Presto, one run-on sentence later and your problem is solved!
I was thinking something along these lines. Some 2-3/4 SCH40 PVC and good ol' brillo would do the trick?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hellcat has arrived!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

What pump is that?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
What pump is that?
Walbro Hellcat 525LPH F90000285.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

I was thinking something along these lines. Some 2-3/4 SCH40 PVC and good ol' brillo would do the trick?
Made one of these a while back and ended up giving it to my cousin. He's still using it till this day. LOL
Old 06-05-2019, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Made one of these a while back and ended up giving it to my cousin. He's still using it till this day. LOL
Hahaha! Like that pair of 5 dollar gas station sunglasses that you can never lose after years, yet the 300 dollar Oakleys managed to get lost between the mall and home..

In other news, my main relay has decided to give up on me. Sigh.. Tried to crank the car yesterday and nothing. Crank, no start. Fuel pump not priming. I could manually click the secondary relay on the pump line to prime it but other than that, nothing. I'm getting voltage at fuses 24, 31, and 18 respectively, at the relay plug, and fuel pressure will build and hold at the rail, and power at the ignition switch where and when I should have it.. So that's on the to-do list now. I'm sure it was on it's way out the door beforehand as I had some symptoms in the past, but it lasted, so I hadn't thought any more of it. The Honda temper tantrums continued; get a new item and some random ******* part I've either never had an issue with previously, that has lasted through thick and thin just ***** the bed. lol!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

I'm in the same boat with mine. For the past few days, I've been trying to troubleshoot why my car is throwing a code #4 and 8. I even went to the extent of getting another good, used distributor. Same results...lower compression readings on all cylinders (150psi). Decided to remove the timing belt just for the hell of it. Bam...******' cam gear wobbling excessively. I could just swap the camshaft with another stock one but somehow or another, I think the "refurbished" head is messed up. I've had to clean out the oil orifice twice since I got the car dyno'd/tuned. FML....
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I'm in the same boat with mine. For the past few days, I've been trying to troubleshoot why my car is throwing a code #4 and 8. I even went to the extent of getting another good, used distributor. Same results...lower compression readings on all cylinders (150psi). Decided to remove the timing belt just for the hell of it. Bam...******' cam gear wobbling excessively. I could just swap the camshaft with another stock one but somehow or another, I think the "refurbished" head is messed up. I've had to clean out the oil orifice twice since I got the car dyno'd/tuned. FML....
Now THAT sucks.

One thing I noticed today is that the main relay clicks when in K3 position but, the engine doesn't want to kick over. Just craaaannnnk, craaaaannnnk, craaaannnnk.. So, odd indeed. I hope it's not my ECU but, I've got a main relay coming regardless.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Vibrant 12810 has arrived! This thing is MASSIVE compared to my other one. The fin density; no comparison.. I'll have more pics up later on.. Teaser for now!!

Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

It looks nice - you were using a CX Racing unit before? I should be posting a "shipment of parts" pic in the next 2-3 weeks...fingers crossed!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaX
It looks nice - you were using a CX Racing unit before? I should be posting a "shipment of parts" pic in the next 2-3 weeks...fingers crossed!
Anything is massive and more efficient than a CXRacing unit. Even the Treadstones would be nicer. Regardless, I'm just glad you're making progress and addressing the issue of better heat exchange... keep up the good work..
Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything is massive and more efficient than a CXRacing unit. Even the Treadstones would be nicer. Regardless, I'm just glad you're making progress and addressing the issue of better heat exchange... keep up the good work..
Haha! The other one wasnt bad but I've "outgrown" it. Took a test drive this evening and there was a slight pressure drop vs my other IC, but not too bad. Half a crank on the Hallman cleared it right up. Drive overall, IAT was around 88 deg and dropped to ambient when on the highway; 81. I need to fab a couple brackets specifically for this one but, it's held up by my others right now. Finally got my exhaust completed as well so the car is so much quieter. That Garrett sounds mean as **** when it starts spooling up and the Greddy FV is nice; subtle, yet, noticeable. I still prefer an in-your-face BOV sound. The RFL and HKS were the only 2 I've ever owned to please that way.

I need to check valve lash again.. I'm past due on that and the top end is sounding a tad clicky.. Looks like I've got a coffee date in the morning with some valves..

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..