Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Originally Posted by 2x0
Simple-fied by conversions

Of course, this is a vague generalization. But you get the drift.
Hmmmmm. vague is about right.. But you're getting there.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Parts delivery!!

Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Man that stuff looks good.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Manifold mock up and old/new turbo comparison. I dont have a vband yet for the downpipe but just holding it up, the fitment is BEAUTIFUL. My old downpipe was hitting on the bottom of my block, there is nothing touching here that shouldn't be. Lol! I'm also happy the manifold came with the 4 flange bolts. That was a good addition. Need to order my wastegate and oil inlet flange and she's ready to put back together for keeps.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Turbo stuff is looking good man! I love my mini ram on my crx.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

that turbo....
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks gooooood!!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Man that stuff looks good.
Thanks! The wait time was worth it. You'll love your setup when you get it.

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Turbo stuff is looking good man! I love my mini ram on my crx.
Thanks! The initial look was a bit jarring at first since I'm used to seeing the full ram I had before.. When I first mounted it to the head and walked away to grab my bag of bolts and nuts; upon turning around, I didn't immediately see it over my radiator core.. I almost stroked out cause I thought it fell off. Lol! Low-pro compared to a full ram..

Originally Posted by NVturbo
that turbo....
Lol! I have high expectations and I really hope I'm not disappointed.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Looks gooooood!!
Thanks! Working on ordering the last few items; restrictor, oil inlet flange, wastegate.. The compressor housing is not tapped for a vac line so I'm having to go with a tap for my coupler..

I figure much cheaper than having it drilled and tapped.. Well, paying for the service. NO WAY would I want to attempt that as I don't wanna risk ******* ANYTHING up in that process.
I'd much rather have to replace a 12 dollar coupler than a 300 dollar housing. LOL!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just run a vacuum manifold, or run your lines directly from the intake manifold (if there's any available ports)?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Why not just run a vacuum manifold, or run your lines directly from the intake manifold (if there's any available ports)?
I'll need the reference port from the compressor and before the TB here. It's for my boost controller.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I'll need the reference port from the compressor and before the TB here. It's for my boost controller.
I was planning to run everything off my vacuum manifold - is there a reason to run the boost controller off the compressor? Less "lag" in response between the turbo spooling and the controller detecting boost? Or, is it more desirable for the boost controller to not see the pressure drop across the intercooler?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I was planning to run everything off my vacuum manifold - is there a reason to run the boost controller off the compressor? Less "lag" in response between the turbo spooling and the controller detecting boost? Or, is it more desirable for the boost controller to not see the pressure drop across the intercooler?
There's actually less lag when running off the mani but you'll deal with more spiking. I'd rather deal with more lag, less spikes. The lag comparison was negligible for me. Given I'll be running a larger snail now, I might revisit the manifold option.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

There's actually less lag when running off the mani but you'll deal with more spiking. I'd rather deal with more lag, less spikes. The lag comparison was negligible for me. Given I'll be running a larger snail now, I might revisit the manifold option.
Coming off the compressor housing for boost control (or anything, really) is not good. Your pressure drop across the intercooler changes with flow rate and temperature, so you will not be able to maintain a consistent boost pressure at the manifold under different conditions.

Use a 4 port solenoid for boost control with reference off the manifold, and take advantage of tuning RPM vs. duty to minimize lag and keep spikes under control.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Coming off the compressor housing for boost control (or anything, really) is not good. Your pressure drop across the intercooler changes with flow rate and temperature, so you will not be able to maintain a consistent boost pressure at the manifold under different conditions.

Use a 4 port solenoid for boost control with reference off the manifold, and take advantage of tuning RPM vs. duty to minimize lag and keep spikes under control.
This would be a matter of preference item. Every MBC vacuum schematic I've seen routes from the compressor housing. EBC will be a different beast though. Tapping into the manifold for a manual controller, that pressure difference is where the spikes are coming from. The system then struggles to keep up.. Bad joo joo. Lol!
On that note, I have dozens of datalogs routed that way that show near perfect boost consistency with the occasional spike at peak; about .5 psi.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wastegate is on its way! Should be here Monday, SUPER prompt service; props to Greg @Go-Autoworks for that.
When that arrives, I can at least finish putting my engine together and get the first startup in. I'm **hoping** I'm not going to have a lawn sprinkler-esque array of fuel spraying around after all the fuel line work. I've checked and double checked, then checked my double check on the connections. Honestly, I'll be majorly surprised if I have a single drop. Lol!
My other items for the Garrett should hopefully be here before I get it all buttoned up and looked over, but this would be a start at least.

As for the old turbo, I've arranged a trade with a local buddy that has a brand new in box Skunk2 pro series 74mm TB. He knows that the turbo is from a CXRACING kit and his TB is worth more, but he's cool with that. I think where I'm being "the bad guy" is that he said he couldn't use it on his D-series in his CRX project because he bought it for a B-series build later on that he decided to scrap.. Because of the fact he asked if I'd be interested in trading the turbo for said TB, I didn't have the heart to tell him it is actually compatible with his Si. I'm in a mild moral dilemma. Lol!
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

This would be a matter of preference item. Every MBC vacuum schematic I've seen routes from the compressor housing. EBC will be a different beast though. Tapping into the manifold for a manual controller, that pressure difference is where the spikes are coming from. The system then struggles to keep up.. Bad joo joo. Lol!
On that note, I have dozens of datalogs routed that way that show near perfect boost consistency with the occasional spike at peak; about .5 psi.
That's cool, it is your preference and choice! I've only used MBC's so far routed from the manifold, and yes there can def be some minor spikes when WG first opens then it tapers back down. This can also just be inherent of MBC's with their slower WG actuation. Can't wait to get my 4 port installed.

I will say, I've never seen a vacuum nipple installed into a silicone coupler before though let us know how that works out. I'd probably be checking it for any leaks before even attempting to run it.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
That's cool, it is your preference and choice! I've only used MBC's so far routed from the manifold, and yes there can def be some minor spikes when WG first opens then it tapers back down. This can also just be inherent of MBC's with their slower WG actuation. Can't wait to get my 4 port installed.

I will say, I've never seen a vacuum nipple installed into a silicone coupler before though let us know how that works out. I'd probably be checking it for any leaks before even attempting to run it.
I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out from the mani but, depends on the duration and frequency of said spikes. I've got a Hallman Pro MBC and it has served very well!

On another note, I'm exploring BBG also. I know, I should have it already but don't. At the same time, I'm trying to work out my presentation of an EBC and why I need it, to the wife. Lol.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out from the mani but, depends on the duration and frequency of said spikes. I've got a Hallman Pro MBC and it has served very well!

On another note, I'm exploring BBG also. I know, I should have it already but don't. At the same time, I'm trying to work out my presentation of an EBC and why I need it, to the wife. Lol.

Just say it's for your own safety lol

Having traction with BBG for one. And also being able to compensate for different temps and loads to make sure you don't overboost, etc.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compressor clocked for IC pipes. Smooth. Think I'm gonna try it out with no torque mounts since these 75A mounts are super beefy, and i replaced all 3 stock mounts. If I need to add them back, meh.. Only issue I'm running into right now is this housing has a 4" inlet and my last was 3. I will NOT run this car on my road without a filter because it's a half paved/half gravel 3 mile stretch. lol! So a new filter I will need, and the one I'll have to get will not fit if my torque mount is in there..
Old 04-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a foam "hks" mushroom filter I got off eBay for like 20 bucks. It was for a 4" inlet and the only way I could fit a filter with how my charge pipe was routed.

i also second bbg, it's an absolute Necessity! Also you can use "quick spool" to pressureize the top port on the wg till target boost is achieved and it makes a massive difference in Spool time and mid range gains. Bbg can also be boost by rpm so you can taper in more boost up top to help if you have a powerband that drops torque early.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a foam "hks" mushroom filter I got off eBay for like 20 bucks. It was for a 4" inlet and the only way I could fit a filter with how my charge pipe was routed.

i also second bbg, it's an absolute Necessity! Also you can use "quick spool" to pressureize the top port on the wg till target boost is achieved and it makes a massive difference in Spool time and mid range gains. Bbg can also be boost by rpm so you can taper in more boost up top to help if you have a powerband that drops torque early.
I didn't think it was optimal to just put the filter directly on the inlet without at least a little bit of space; short piece of pipe.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, there's no way that was gonna happen lol. I was lucky to actually get a filter on it with how tight everything is. Ef bay, mini ram, b series and back door charge piping equals no room lol.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, there's no way that was gonna happen lol. I was lucky to actually get a filter on it with how tight everything is. Ef bay, mini ram, b series and back door charge piping equals no room lol.
Ah yeah, EF.. To get any more space would require an act of Congress, 2 prayers, and a genuine miracle.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, after a bit of research and a lot of thought, I will keep my trans torque mount and remove my driver side torque mount only. The torque mount delete seems to be a debated topic as well with some documented tragic failures and some that have reported no issue.I have the NRG torque damper and that is on the driver side anyways so I believe that should suffice. The driver torque mount delete will give me room to do what I need to with my filter. **sigh of relief**

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..