Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

So I'm in another patch of downtime and I've really hit "the books" here lately on just various aspects of turbo research. I'm gonna throw it out there; it's not for the faint of heart. Soooo much info to take in. Most think that just choosing a kit is the best thing to do and even still, there's so much to consider. I'm kinda floored at the idea that people (including myself) have very little ACTUAL knowledge of what they're getting into, when they get into it.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
So I'm in another patch of downtime and I've really hit "the books" here lately on just various aspects of turbo research. I'm gonna throw it out there; it's not for the faint of heart. Soooo much info to take in. Most think that just choosing a kit is the best thing to do and even still, there's so much to consider. I'm kinda floored at the idea that people (including myself) have very little ACTUAL knowledge of what they're getting into, when they get into it.
Try doing it for 18 years like I have. It never really gets old. And I used to work for Honeywell.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Try doing it for 18 years like I have. It never really gets old. And I used to work for Honeywell.
And I bet you a year's salary you still learn new ****? I guess that's rigged though since the technology evolves. Lol.
Today I learned the different "levels" of boost. I was way off before.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

This day and age, people tend to think you can just "slap on" a turbo and expect miracles. I know factors such as engine work, health of the motor, quality of parts, etc. play a big role on how much power can be made. Yes, a turbo is a part of the equation too, along with the tuning process. That is why different setups make different power (output). Take for instance my current setup. From browsing several YouTube videos, people with similar setups make less or similar power, but at higher boost pressure. All different "ingredients" will yield different results.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
This day and age, people tend to think you can just "slap on" a turbo and expect miracles. I know factors such as engine work, health of the motor, quality of parts, etc. play a big role on how much power can be made. Yes, a turbo is a part of the equation too, along with the tuning process. That is why different setups make different power (output). Take for instance my current setup. From browsing several YouTube videos, people with similar setups make less or similar power, but at higher boost pressure. All different "ingredients" will yield different results.
Building to handle the extra power is a topic on its own. I mean more the turbo itself. Choosing the right turbo, choosing the right wastegate, the right intercooler, etc. Just picking the turbo is crazy enough.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:08 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

haha...I know what you mean, man.

** Wastegate, simple...TIAL
** FMIC...no Mishimoto, CXRacing (eBay junk), etc. PTE is okay but way overpriced. Narrowed down to the Treadstone TR8L and AutoWorks. Went with the Treadstone because of price and more commonly used by others.
** Turbo...no EBAY. Ball-bearing Garrett was out of my price range and I didn't want another PTE. Borg Warner was a good option too but couldn't find any that wasn't T4 flange.

Buying turbo parts was like shopping for a car. I literally looked at the same part, and the lowest price for it....for about 2-3 days. LOL
Old 02-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...I know what you mean, man.

** Wastegate, simple...TIAL
** FMIC...no Mishimoto, CXRacing (eBay junk), etc. PTE is okay but way overpriced. Narrowed down to the Treadstone TR8L and AutoWorks. Went with the Treadstone because of price and more commonly used by others.
** Turbo...no EBAY. Ball-bearing Garrett was out of my price range and I didn't want another PTE. Borg Warner was a good option too but couldn't find any that wasn't T4 flange.

Buying turbo parts was like shopping for a car. I literally looked at the same part, and the lowest price for it....for about 2-3 days. LOL
Then with the brands, there's SOOOO much more to it..
Intercooler size and fin density, wastegate appropriately sized (this was actually **fairly** straightforward), turbo A/R and trim, flow rate, etc.. Ugh..
Coming from a decent build and a CX kit to a better build with a hand-selected kit. Wastegate will be tial MVS, Garrett journal bearing (ball bearing is also in the LOL price range for me) intercooler is a used Vibrant (great condition), manifold will be go Autoworks mini ram and 3" downpipe, full 3" custom exhaust (by me). I've read tons into a lot of this over the last several days and feel confident I'll end up where I want to be. Finishing it out with the tax return and **hopefully** will have it put together by mid-March. I plan on tuning at Keith Craft, they are about an hour from me. Although Mr. Craft has retired, his shop is still thriving. I don't know if they'll tune a Honda but eh, I can try!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

just as long as the Vibrant FMIC doesn't have any leaks/cracks, it should work fine. I would at least clean the inside first before using it. As for tuning with a "non-Honda" tuner, just as long as they know what they're doing, you should be fine. If they aren't familiar or unable to set up the parameters for the tuning software/program you're using, I would go elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just as long as the Vibrant FMIC doesn't have any leaks/cracks, it should work fine. I would at least clean the inside first before using it. As for tuning with a "non-Honda" tuner, just as long as they know what they're doing, you should be fine. If they aren't familiar or unable to set up the parameters for the tuning software/program you're using, I would go elsewhere.
Yeah, the FMIC cleanup is definitely in order. It looked ok mostly from the in/outlets, but that doesn't tell me about all. Lol! It was also spray painted black. Not like powder coat or ceramic, the stuff flakes off with a fingernail. So my guess there was a good ol' rattle can job. I have a couple cans of aircraft paint stripper that should clean it up nicely without harming the aluminum. For the inside, I suppose I'll use some a/c coil cleaner and give it a good rinse.
If they don't have a tuner that works with my software, it's all good. As long as I can rent some dyno time. I've been working with Neptune for 2 years now and feel completely comfortable with the program. All I need is the dyno to verify my timing adjustments. Plan B is to get a remote session with Phearable, should the dyno shop allow remote access to their equipment. Final plan is what I did the first time and E-tune with them again, then make my final adjustments on the dyno myself.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:21 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Yeah, a painted FMIC is fine, for the stealth look. However, some people will do that to hide damages.

Is there any other tuners in your area that can tune Neptune??
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, a painted FMIC is fine, for the stealth look. However, some people will do that to hide damages.

Is there any other tuners in your area that can tune Neptune??
Closest tuner that works specifically with Neptune is over 3 hours away. I'm sure it'll drive just fine given this isn't a first time build on it. I'll have to adjust my idle and partial throttle for sure, until I start tuning, I won't worry about wot.
My biggest concern here would be washing my rings but I'm almost certain my idle and partial are going to be a bit lean after my revamp. Idle before was at 14.7-15.3. I'm anticipating low to mid 15s with this setup. Possibly into low 16, so ring wash shouldn't be an issue. Too lean and I'll have trouble too but, I didn't really do any major porting so it shouldn't be an issue either. If the port cleanup and ferrea valves are enough to lean me out any more than that, I'll be very optimistic about good results here!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

if your motor has good compression and acceptable clearance on the bearings and rings, it should make good power. That's where the issue lies with people's "built" motors. Due to lack of knowledge, incompetency or laziness, the motor is poorly put together. Then, they wonder why it only makes 220HP on 18psi of boost. LOL
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your motor has good compression and acceptable clearance on the bearings and rings, it should make good power. That's where the issue lies with people's "built" motors. Due to lack of knowledge, incompetency or laziness, the motor is poorly put together. Then, they wonder why it only makes 220HP on 18psi of boost. LOL
I imagine I can prime my oil pump and turbo and run compression test all at the same time before 1st startup. Lol. According to the zealworks calculator, I should be at 9.4:1
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

If all cylinders are at least 175+, you should be good. Mine was about 200 across the board...
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's been a crazy 3 days. The wife had to go out of town and I went along since the junkyard I normally visit is in that area. We checked into the hotel and within 5 minutes, the sky opened up and what followed was biblical.. It poured for hours. Ok, no problem, there's always tomorrow (yesterday). Weather forecast called for a high chance of rain, but not til after 1pm. Nope.. It didn't let up a bit from the time we woke up, til we went to bed. This morning was checkout and decided if it was nice, which it was SUPPOSED to be, we'd go by the boneyard on the way back home. Nope.. Not only was it raining, windy, and cold, but NOW there was fog that would make you swear you were trying to look through a large tank of milk.. Sigh.. We make the 2.5 hour drive home and within 15 minutes, all heavy rain we JUST drove 165 miles through stopped and the skies cleared up.. Another sigh.. Weather again supposed to be clear tomorrow but now, I'd trust the words of my ex-wife before I trust the weatherman..
I decided to make some good use of the nice weather though and got the head mounted and t-belt routed to set my valve lash again. TDC could NOT be set any more perfect now than would be from factory but, I've got no timing cover at all so, it's gonna get all torn down again to get THAT on. Still waiting as well on Uncle Sam to send my refund so I can get the last items. ANOTHER sigh..
Old 02-23-2019, 04:06 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

I don't blame ya. It's been raining for 6 days straight here. I'm about to go collect some damn animals and build a ******' ARK. lol

Besides building a sub box for a friend, I had to swap out the LMAs in the Del Sol this wonderful rainy Saturday. Luckily, I still have my old motor on the engine stand. Took them out of my old motor and swapped them over. Sounds much quieter afterwards. The ones that were in my current motor were stiff as hell. For a minute there, I was afraid it was rod knock or something. I even re-adjusted the valve lash the other day, just as a precaution.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Just be thankful it’s rain instead of several feet of snow we’ve accumulated here
Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Just be thankful it’s rain instead of several feet of snow we’ve accumulated here
Ice belongs in the freezer or a drink, not on the ground!! The pounding our east coast has been taking is dreadful. I have a few friends that had been snowed in for a couple days.. Ugh.. I can continue setting my valve lash tomorrow. It's all buggered up. The machinist was being very modest when he said I **might** have to adjust my rockers after resurfacing the head. Lol
Old 02-24-2019, 04:10 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I just decided to go paddling instead of turning wrenches this weekend.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I just decided to go paddling instead of turning wrenches this weekend.
Nice! Today, so far, is crystal clear and sunny. It looks like it will be a nice day for whatever. Knowing me, I'm going to fire up the BBQ pit. Lol
Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And now for the bad news.. Well, not too bad but will be a big setback. I was just informed I'm gonna need another surgery on both knees. I kinda saw it coming and tried to avoid the doc but ugh.. Should be a quick recovery but still 8-12 weeks lost. Sigh..
Old 02-26-2019, 05:13 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

damn...that sucks dude.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Take it easy and do the PT.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
And now for the bad news.. Well, not too bad but will be a big setback. I was just informed I'm gonna need another surgery on both knees. I kinda saw it coming and tried to avoid the doc but ugh.. Should be a quick recovery but still 8-12 weeks lost. Sigh..
I hate to hear that man! I grew up with bad knees and my body finally adjusted so I never had to have surgery...... hope the surgery goes well
Old 02-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn...that sucks dude.
It does, but the REAL fun part is that I get to go through as many scopes as necessary until 1 of 2 things happen; I hit the age I can get them replaced, or they finally debride enough bone and cartilage to warrant the replacement..
I'm going to start a pool, buy in of 5 bucks, to see which occurs first. Lol!

Originally Posted by DaX
Take it easy and do the PT.
All the PT I've done over the last 16 years would be equal to going 40 hours a week for 4 and a half years straight.. I could have a degree in kinesiology with all the time I've put in. Lol!

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..