Notices

Twincharge my B16A2, '99 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twincharge my B16A2, '99 Civic Si

I have a '99 Civic Si currently running with a Jackson Racing Supercharger at 5-7 psi. Considering compounding that with a turbo, thinkin STS Remote, and building a sweet setup. Obviously I will probably need new forged pistons and eagle rods, arp head studs and better head gasket. Should I keep compression at stock 10.2:1 or lower it? In addition I would have an lht intercooler installed and water/meth injection. Anyone with experience with this? Tips or suggestions?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twincharge my B16A2, '99 Civic Si

A single turbo setup would be just as efficient.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Wouldn't the stock head gasket be sufficient?

So you plan in dual charging the motor correct
Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rob
^this
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO
Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevyn04
I have a '99 Civic Si currently running with a Jackson Racing Supercharger at 5-7 psi. Considering compounding that with a turbo, thinkin STS Remote, and building a sweet setup. Obviously I will probably need new forged pistons and eagle rods, arp head studs and better head gasket. Should I keep compression at stock 10.2:1 or lower it? In addition I would have an lht intercooler installed and water/meth injection. Anyone with experience with this? Tips or suggestions?
I wasn't going to entertain this, so I kept my mouth shut... BUT since everyone is giving you a hard time...

You clearly haven't searched as this has been completely beaten into the ground already. When technology was crap and people were trying to be different, this was a "neat" approach just like a twin turbo setup on a 4-cylinder.

Forged pistons - Depends on your goals. Most likely your goals are higher than 300-350whp so you NEED to have them.

Eagle Rods - Why cheap out on this "sweet build" unless you are looking for power under 500-600whp?

ARP Head Studs - Well, that is a given...

Better Headgasket - Better than what, OEM Honda? In what application? Yours? HAHA, good luck woth that one.

Stock Compression - Well, that all depends again on fuel being used and horsepower goals. Either way, you don't want to go any lower for the sake of the setup. Also, you will have a hard time keeping your compression exactly the same.

Water/Meth - Please, tell me what happened... Did aliens abduct you back in the 80's or 90's and drop you off last week? Of course it works, has been tried, tested, over and over again. BUT without knowing your goals, all this talk is pointless.

BASICALLY, you have MORE to read up on than we can help in just one thread. Research is key to ANY build. There is NOTHING special about what you are trying to accomplish here. Don't expect to be spoon fed.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, this.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not looking to be spoon fed. While I am new to all this I have done a crap load of searching. On this forum alone there are two posts I found about twincharging. One about bypassing sc once turbo spools by rmcdaniels and one about compounding the build by tony the tiger. According to tony the tiger compounding the setup is best, the sc makes the engine act like a bigger one causing the turbo to spool faster. You get full boost from turbo 1000-1500 rpm sooner. I mentioned all I planned on installing just to verify with people who knew more than I that I was on the right track. I would like between 300-400hp so I figured i'd better get forged pistons, and I'd thought it only made sense to upgrade rods while you were at it rather than risk throwing one later. I'm glad you agree arp studs are a given. I was unaware that there is not a better headgasket than oem honda. I have a friend who swears I need to get an aluminum racing headgasket. As far as compression, doesn't need to to be exactly the same. Reason I asked about it is because anytime I read up on turbo they insist compression be lowered. It seems lower compression=more boost and more boost=more power. But lower compression also means less power before turbo spools. With sc not so much of a problem. Water/meth, unfortunately I was born late 80's so this was not a priority at that time in my life. I recently learned about it and from all I've read seems like a great option, not only to boost my octane thus allowing me to stay on pump gas, but also to assist cooling iat's since the sc tends to raise them. Now, does anyone who has experience with a twincharged setup have any tips or suggestions on completing mine? Also, Tony the Tiger says this setup causes your engine to behave like. Bigger one and you should size your turbo for the bigger engine. How do you decide what size to size the turbo for? Thanks for your replies, helpful or not.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Not looking to be spoon fed. While I am new to all this I have done a crap load of searching. On this forum alone there are two posts I found about twincharging. One about bypassing sc once turbo spools by rmcdaniels and one about compounding the build by tony the tiger. According to tony the tiger compounding the setup is best, the sc makes the engine act like a bigger one causing the turbo to spool faster. You get full boost from turbo 1000-1500 rpm sooner.
True. as it was done years ago on several MR2 SW20 builds as well. but he also stated that a properly sized turbocharger would be able to do the same thing. THere's also one OEM manufacturer that had twin charging as well. They found it too troublesome to deal with issues associated with the setup and it was no longer continued after a year of use. They switched to a more compact engine with a single turbocharger.

I mentioned all I planned on installing just to verify with people who knew more than I that I was on the right track. I would like between 300-400hp so I figured i'd better get forged pistons, and I'd thought it only made sense to upgrade rods while you were at it rather than risk throwing one later. I'm glad you agree arp studs are a given. I was unaware that there is not a better headgasket than oem honda. I have a friend who swears I need to get an aluminum racing headgasket.
Ah yes... "Friends". They always seemed to know more don't they? .. In this case here, no. there is nothing better than OEM for this application. For the 300-400whp you're looking for, DEFINITELY stay a small sized turbocharger for the B16A2. There are ton of options available for being able to make that power to have it maximize pressure in the same realm you're trying to do. The more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain...

Upgrading rods and pistons would be a good idea fo rthe higher HP levels, and there's no reason to go overboard unless you're doing over 500whp.. ARP studs are fine as well. Just make sure that on the rods, they use ARP2000 series rod bolts.

As far as compression, doesn't need to to be exactly the same. Reason I asked about it is because anytime I read up on turbo they insist compression be lowered. It seems lower compression=more boost and more boost=more power.
Must have been an old book you read. Unless the efficiency is in the higher pressure ratio range, there's no point in lowering compression just to run more boost pressure to make the exact same power.

But lower compression also means less power before turbo spools. With sc not so much of a problem.
Actually, yes..it would be even more of a problem than with the turbo.. SC's need even slightly higher compression to work in their effective range. That's how they are different from turbochargers.. so.. *Buzzzzz*... Wrong again, thank you for playing..

Water/meth, unfortunately I was born late 80's so this was not a priority at that time in my life. I recently learned about it and from all I've read seems like a great option, not only to boost my octane thus allowing me to stay on pump gas, but also to assist cooling iat's since the sc tends to raise them.
Which is even nicer on Turbocharger.. Back to the turbocharger argument. (not to mention, not as upgradable without considerable cost)

Now, does anyone who has experience with a twincharged setup have any tips or suggestions on completing mine? Also, Tony the Tiger says this setup causes your engine to behave like. Bigger one and you should size your turbo for the bigger engine. How do you decide what size to size the turbo for? Thanks for your replies, helpful or not.
THe suggestion is really... don't. I'll take any twin charged setup like that against a well-balanced turbocharger setup any day, and he'll match you pound-for-pound.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your answer shodan. I was origionally just going to build around my sc since I already have it, but it seems the power I can attain from it would be in the 250 hp range. So was looking into turbo when came across twin charging. So if anything just go turbo only?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your answer shodan. I was origionally just going to build around my sc since I already have it, but it seems the power I can attain from it would be in the 250 hp range. So was looking into turbo when came across twin charging. So if anything just go turbo only?
Yup.. sell the charger and go all turbo only.