Notices

Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

Just posting out of curiousity, most of the twin scroll turbo manifolds I see are paired 1-4 and 2-3, firing order is 1-3-4-2, I'm wondering what the difference would be in relation to spool as well as power output from pairing 1-2 and 3-4? That way cylinders would be firing consecutively, to me it seems like pairing like this would help reduce lag as each pair would fire consecutively.

Last edited by K7-1Ktrevor; 12-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default re: Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Just posting out of curiousity, most of the divided housing turbo manifolds I see are paired 1-4 and 2-3, firing order is 1-3-4-2, I'm wondering what the difference would be in relation to spool as well as power output from pairing 1-2 and 3-4? That way cylinders would be firing consecutively, to me it seems like pairing like this would help reduce lag as each pair would fire consecutively.
I read up on this at one point and it has to do with the reversion of exhaust gas due to the firing order and valve events. VERY summarized explanation there..
Old 12-31-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

Yeah. there's a bit more to it than just order of fire and pairing. When you look at the actual uses of divided housings, they are mainly used for larger turbo applications in which the engines they are working with don't have the exhaust energy to really "spin" that turbine wheel effectively unless its in conjunction with using larger displacement (Tractors, big V8s, Wenkel Rotary engines, etc). This is why you typically see high PEAK power numbers from these, is because most of the larger 75mm+ diameter exhaust wheels rotate at a lower speed but can make big power. For 2.5 litres and under, that unfortunately means you have to really rev that engine in order to get the same exhaust pulse energy as the larger displacement engines. (This is the easy part to understand).

What's not so easy is the actual twin scroll turbine housing that use a divided throughout the entire volute of the exhaust housing. This is where firing order and exhaust pulse energy with that firing order come into play. Especially for the fact that most twin scroll turbines you use are used with smaller turbine wheels, under 65mm diameter (in the aftermarket) and easily under 50mm diameter in factory models. Because engineers understand that the effect of this division is based upon smaller displacement engines that are using smaller exhaust wheels with lower exhaust energy speeds where "spool" actually counts.

But there is a law of diminishing returns with this effect. As long as the firing order is more consistent, and the exhaust manifold is paired properly, even if it isn't the perfect firing order, as long as it's consistent, you'll get the desired effect.

I've explained in several forums and such over the years. A divided housing is a necessity to becoming a full twin scroll volute, but not a sufficiency in doing so.

A true twin scroll has a full divider for the exhaust pulses at least 180* within the volute

While a simply large DIVIDED housing used on may high torque-low rpm applications like tractor/trucks that most are using on these cars do not. Divided housings only look at the initial throat entry area and converge about an inch into the volute.

In which case, the benefits are negated in some sizings.

I"ll re-title this as a Discussion topic , because this is interesting to talk about. I had some other material on this forum already this year, perhaps it just needs to be revived and merged.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yeah. there's a bit more to it than that.
I DID say it was very summarized. Lol
Old 12-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

I used incorrect terminology I meant twin scroll not divided housing. As I will be using a evo 8 turbo on a single cam.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Twin Scroll Discussion: Divided housing pairing and is there a difference?

Evo turbos are divided all the way still the inner scroll is different. Its a huge discusion really.
Short story: Saves the closing cylinder from cross cylinder contamination.
The more boost in combination with short runners the more you need it.
Imo the response was a side effect.