Notices

Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch

Which would be best for street driving, and which would wear out the fastest?!?!?

lets say 450whp..

Jordo
Old 06-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (Jordo)

Single Disc clutch 4puck is good up to 550tq thats what i got
Old 06-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (DLB1994)

I have a twin disk.. if you do alot of street driving I would probably stay away. It is literally a on/off switch that is noisy *** hell when you push the clutch in. I originally thought I was just my car till I went to the track and the tilton and others make the same noise when you push the clutch in. It grabs like you wouldn't believe but if you are not going for all race I would again consider a nice single disc.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DLB1994 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Single Disc clutch 4puck is good up to 550tq thats what i got </TD></TR></TABLE>

4 puck would totally be unstreetable
Old 06-30-2003, 07:00 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (GSRev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a twin disk.. if you do alot of street driving I would probably stay away. It is literally a on/off switch that is noisy *** hell when you push the clutch in. I originally thought I was just my car till I went to the track and the tilton and others make the same noise when you push the clutch in. It grabs like you wouldn't believe but if you are not going for all race I would again consider a nice single disc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. the chattering of the plates when you push the clutch doesnt bother me as long as the pedal is soft. i have had an ACT XXtreme plate and 6puck disk and it slipped at 440whp. the double disc clutchmaster clutch is the best thing i ever used on the street. just my opinion.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jordo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

4 puck would totally be unstreetable</TD></TR></TABLE>

why is this, i use one in the street
Old 07-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a custom dual disk tilton clutch on high hp street cars. It handles 740ftlbs or torque so you don't have to worry about it! It's not too bad at all on the street and feels like a stock pedal. The disengagement on it at high rpm is perfect and shifts very smooth. I use the tilton with a modified factory flywheel that's lighened to 13lbs. I don't like an 8lb flywheel on a street car...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (tony1)

Of these three choices, which one would you guys say is the best value (price, perf., wear, etc.):

ClutchMasters twin disk
Exedy twin disk
RPS twin disk
Tilton twin disk

Also what would be better, carbon/carbon, or ceramic material?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I disagree. the chattering of the plates when you push the clutch doesnt bother me as long as the pedal is soft. i have had an ACT XXtreme plate and 6puck disk and it slipped at 440whp. the double disc clutchmaster clutch is the best thing i ever used on the street. just my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did it slip on the highway? or at the track on slicks?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't like an 8lb flywheel on a street car...</TD></TR></TABLE>I'm using a JUN lightweight flywheel, which I think is around 9lbs. Do you think this would be the reason why my car is kinda herky-jerky when transitioning between shifts during normal driving?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (CheezeFrog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm using a JUN lightweight flywheel, which I think is around 9lbs. Do you think this would be the reason why my car is kinda herky-jerky when transitioning between shifts during normal driving?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that may have been the cause, I drove the tilton 8lbs flywheel on the dyno and it jerks like mad crazy during shifts, I had to kinda slip it just a tad otherwise, it shakes like a mad man..

stan
Old 07-01-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (Turbologist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbologist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Of these three choices, which one would you guys say is the best value (price, perf., wear, etc.):

ClutchMasters twin disk
Exedy twin disk
RPS twin disk
Tilton twin disk

Also what would be better, carbon/carbon, or ceramic material?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clutch Masters: They don't make them. Bypass them and go to their source which is Quartermaster. Good value for the dollar.
Exedy:Good Quality, don't know about performance or heat resistance.
RPS: No comment.
Tilton: Good quality. Carbon/Carbon only (very expensive). The metallic is not meant to last a long time or slip a lot. It's more of a road race lightweight clutch.

Keep in mind that with any multi-disc clutch there is no air gap created between the discs and this will slow your shifting, with exception of the carbon/carbon which seems to perform better because of the light weight carbon discs. Some multidisc clutches are very noisy and/or very difficult to modulate (controlled slippage).

Try ACT!! Oh, I had to put that in. Warning, I am biased. In spite of that, 450whp should not be a problem. We have reliably held over 400 ft lbs of torque (well over 500hp). Mike Laskey and others run 9s using off the shelf ACT parts. We recently changed metallic friction materials to handle even more power than before. We also improved the MaXX Xtreme pressure plate to reduce pedal effort and the Xtreme pressure plate to reduce pedal travel.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:04 AM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (ACTman)

what i cant figure out is how mike laskey runs a heavy duty plate and I ran 2 steps stronger XXtreme and at 440whp on a clutch with 2k miles it slipped at 440whp. any ideas?? ever since I put the quartermaster as you call it in i havent had one issue at 650+whp. the clutch is 100 times lighter than the xxtreme and i drove around without any issues on the street for months.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:15 AM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use a custom dual disk tilton clutch on high hp street cars. It handles 740ftlbs or torque so you don't have to worry about it! It's not too bad at all on the street and feels like a stock pedal. The disengagement on it at high rpm is perfect and shifts very smooth. I use the tilton with a modified factory flywheel that's lighened to 13lbs. I don't like an 8lb flywheel on a street car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now thats what i need to find out. how do you use a factory flywheel with an 8inch disc setup?? they only thing i didnt like about the CM DD is that i had to use that light 7lb flywheel and it made the car just rip tires ont he street. with the typer flywheel it was much better.

to answer someone elses question also. the car slipped 1st on the dyno then on the street. i never was at the track with that clutch.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 AM

Yeah im think im going to run with a Twin Disk with a Gsr LSD Tranny. Im thinking about using the CM Twin Disk. is there any problems with it?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACTman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Mike Laskey and others run 9s using off the shelf ACT parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I witnessed a brand new ACT clutch on Laskey's Race car blow after the first run at ATL.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I witnessed a brand new ACT clutch on Laskey's Race car blow after the first run at ATL. </TD></TR></TABLE>

man this post really hasnt gone far, i stil dont know have any idea of what i want..

pickin a cltuch is like picking a standalone
Old 07-01-2003, 11:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i cant figure out is how mike laskey runs a heavy duty plate and I ran 2 steps stronger XXtreme and at 440whp on a clutch with 2k miles it slipped at 440whp. any ideas?? ever since I put the quartermaster as you call it in i havent had one issue at 650+whp. the clutch is 100 times lighter than the xxtreme and i drove around without any issues on the street for months.</TD></TR></TABLE> I am not sure what was going on with your previous ACT clutch. Do you still have the parts? I would be glad to take a look at them because something doesn't sound right.

It is really simple to calculate what power the clutch will hold. It is not an exact science but we get pretty close. Clamp load, friction, size, and number of surfaces... do the math and there you have it, torque capacity. Other contributing factors are heat and wear (determining working clamp load) and if the clutch is not broken in yet. These will have a great affect on the calculated torque capacity. So unless you have lost significant clamp load or it slipped when the clutch was roasting hot, it doesn't make sense. Mike was running the HD until a few months ago and now he is running the XX (new design) with our latest friction material.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I witnessed a brand new ACT clutch on Laskey's Race car blow after the first run at ATL. </TD></TR></TABLE>This has me curious. I am not aware of the circumstances at ATL. I have a call in to Mike to find out what happened. The other guy I could ask over here is out for the day.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACTman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am not sure what was going on with your previous ACT clutch. Do you still have the parts? I would be glad to take a look at them because something doesn't sound right.

It is really simple to calculate what power the clutch will hold. It is not an exact science but we get pretty close. Clamp load, friction, size, and number of surfaces... do the math and there you have it, torque capacity. Other contributing factors are heat and wear (determining working clamp load) and if the clutch is not broken in yet. These will have a great affect on the calculated torque capacity. So unless you have lost significant clamp load or it slipped when the clutch was roasting hot, it doesn't make sense. Mike was running the HD until a few months ago and now he is running the XX (new design) with our latest friction material.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sold it to a guy with less hp sorry. it was a 6puck sprung disc with an xxtreem plate and it wasnt hot at all when it would slip. just at about 440whp it started doing it with under 2k miles.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I sold it to a guy with less hp sorry. it was a 6puck sprung disc with an xxtreem plate and it wasnt hot at all when it would slip. just at about 440whp it started doing it with under 2k miles.</TD></TR></TABLE> If it was a sprung disc it wasn't ours. We don't and never have made them with springs. Maybe that's the problem?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:38 AM
I am a bad person

no 6puck sprung?? it was a yellow xxtreme plate with a disc marked act i'm sure. i didnt use it that long but i swear it was sprung.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no 6puck sprung?? it was a yellow xxtreme plate with a disc marked act i'm sure. i didnt use it that long but i swear it was sprung.</TD></TR></TABLE>I don't doubt it was spring center but it wasn't ours. I have seen other yellow pressure plates, but ours comes with a logo sticker. I haven't heard of may cases of imitations on the pressure plate except in Puerto Rico. The discs are another story. I have heard of many cases of other discs posed as ACT parts whether spring or solid. This is part of the reason we now SFI cerify most of our parts. The most popular metallic friciton materials that are used by other clutch manufacturers have a much lower coefficient of friction than the material we use which could account for the slipping. I am not trying to pass the buck, just trying to make sense of it because it shouldn't have slipped at 450whp.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:18 PM
I am a bad person

well, the plate i know 100% was act cause i got it in an ACT box and all. the clutch honestly i cant say if it was clutchnet disc or act. the material should be the same though right??
Old 07-01-2003, 12:52 PM

I don't know what material they are currently using

Quick Reply: Twin Disc clutch vs Single Disc clutch