Notices

Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts?

If it does blow I will post carnarge, so no worries there! hahaha but hopefully not.
Heres the setup

450s
VR4 Fuel Pump 190lph
BnM FPR n gauge @ 38psi idle 43ish@ WOT
EGT gauge
WB02
B20 stock block
93 Octane
8.8 CR

Its been holding 15lbs just fine with the stock MAP @ 19 degrees of timing (not smart I know) for quite sometime. I picked up a 2.5bar and Im planning on cranking it up to about 17lbs pushed by a T3/T4 57trim 63ar. Total Timming @ topend is around 17-16 degrees...
Ill be checking the plugs after each run...

Anything I should be looking out for or something I should check before I get started lmk....

For all the haters, when it blows Ill post pics n then you can post and hate lol. I just ask that you save it till then...

tia

Blaze
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (Blaze45)

EGT? I personally think she'd survive but with only 450's and 190lph, I'd skip the pump gas and get some more octane for insurance. Besides, you plan on running on slicks or d/r's? No need for more power if you're not hooking.

Sam
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM

good luck bro Don't forget to post pics up later tonight

Modified by gsr2000 at 8:16 PM 12/29/2005
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (gsr2000)

You retuning for more boost ? Hope so.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (turbozxi)

Im afraid Im going to be maxing out the injectors as well, we shall see... Everythings ready to go just gotta go n turn the key.... The suspense is killing me. Boost is crack!
Blaze
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im afraid Im going to be maxing out the injectors as well, we shall see... Everythings ready to go just gotta go n turn the key.... The suspense is killing me. Boost is crack!
Blaze</TD></TR></TABLE>Get it on a dyno with a knock sensor someone able to identify DET from the exhaust etc. Then at least I won't call you a crackhead. Anyway I assume you will back off if it gets lean .
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock B20, 190lph pump, no tune, and 17lbs of boost.

Man, if you want to throw away money go right ahead but your dumb.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it does blow I will post carnarge, so no worries there! hahaha but hopefully not.
Heres the setup

450s
VR4 Fuel Pump 190lph
BnM FPR n gauge @ 38psi idle 43ish@ WOT
EGT gauge
WB02
B20 stock block
93 Octane
8.8 CR

Its been holding 15lbs just fine with the stock MAP @ 19 degrees of timing (not smart I know) for quite sometime. I picked up a 2.5bar and Im planning on cranking it up to about 17lbs pushed by a T3/T4 57trim 63ar. Total Timming @ topend is around 17-16 degrees...
Ill be checking the plugs after each run...

Anything I should be looking out for or something I should check before I get started lmk....

For all the haters, when it blows Ill post pics n then you can post and hate lol. I just ask that you save it till then...

tia

Blaze</TD></TR></TABLE>

those 450's are rated at a base pressure of 43.5 and are only good to 254whp %80% duty cycle. At 17psi Id say you should be makeing low-mid 300whp range so Id crank that fuel pressure up before you start.

on 366whp I was at 90% duty cycle with my 440's with 95PSI of rail fuel pressure.

If i were you Id crank the rail pressure to "AT LEAST" 80psi at idle so that it'll give you that 97psi of rail pressure at 17psi of boost... Other than that you should be fine, just make sure you pull you timeing back and watch your AFR's....
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (JDMs1eeper)

Well it didnt blow, but my EGT (exh. temp) gauge goes nutts. I could easily peg 1600 in the top of 4th. I do shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile, so Ive got to figure out whats going on there.n. I thought since Im now running a MAP that can actually read that much boost that my EGTs would settle down somewhat. I added a little less then a degree of timming and it slowed the rate at which it rised a little bit. I checked the plugs and there wasnt any sign of deatonation, but that was only at 14-15lbs which Ive been running for sometime with the stock MAP at 19 degrees. Every once in a while the car would "cut out" but this only happend at 16+ psi and I only hit that much boost 2 times. I wasnt going lean and I couldnt shut off the car right after it happend cause I wasnt fast enough to get to the key to get a good look at the plugs. I could only assume that its deatonating or theres and ignition issue. But I ended up having a tire blow out because of a nail in the side wall so thats the end of testing/tuning for a while till I pick up another tire...

I definetly need to get on a dyno and see whats going on...

Thanks for everyones help.

Blaze
Old 12-30-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You retuning for more boost ? Hope so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he was using an AEM EMS and running boost comp tables its doubtful that he would need to..
Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (tgreaves)

Did I miss something?? Or what ems are you using to tune???
Old 12-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (99lspwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did I miss something?? Or what ems are you using to tune???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure what ems he is using.. But boost comp maps on the AEM EMS change by rpm and not load and the load part is calculated for you with another table.. Its kinda hard to explain but its really cool..
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not sure what ems he is using.. But boost comp maps on the AEM EMS change by rpm and not load and the load part is calculated for you with another table.. Its kinda hard to explain but its really cool.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe he's using Turboedit?

Sam
Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Turning up the boost tonight.... Any thoughts? (RaceProfessor)

Sorry I did leave out that I was running the latest version of turboedit.... AEM=$
ME= poor Highschool kid lol. Someday...

Blaze
Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock DSM/VR-4 fuel pump is good for 275 whp (on a DSM at 25% drivetrain loss... I figure they are as good as the stock Honduh unit, and nothing more) at the usual stock Honduh rail pressures. Over stockrail pressures, fuel pump flow rate takes a big nosedive and you have less power potential.

DSM 450cc are good for at most 300 whp at stock rail pressures. Some people see more, but they like no margin of safety.

EGTs are hottest at stoich AFRs. You tune ignition timing from there based on best power and safety.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I added a little less then a degree of timming and it slowed the rate at which it rised a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good sign that your ignition was overly retarded. Without dyno feedback at your power level... or being able to graph gear/VSS/time to deduce power gains and losses... hard to go much further.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boost comp maps on the AEM EMS change by rpm and not load and the load part is calculated for you with another table.. Its kinda hard to explain but its really cool.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's also a sleazy hack. Boost compensation is a poor excuse for tuning individual cells to where they need to be.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">suspense is killing me. Boost is crack! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Therefore boost can not be our anti-drug. lol