Notices

Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos?

Had my mind set on a Garrett t3/to4e but I have found a Turbonetics t3/to4b for a pretty good deal. Do they make a decent turbo, or should I stick with Garrett?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos? (Hoosier Daddy)

there the same company
Old 03-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos? (lsvtec4door)

I never heard that before, but yes, their turbos are the same. BTW - there IS a difference between the 0E and 0B ...

You might want to do a little more research to find a good turbo match for your car rather than picking one at random.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos? (HatchbackComeback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchbackComeback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> BTW - there IS a difference between the 0E and 0B ...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure is. Two different compressor covers.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
B*A*N*N*E*D

Default Re: Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos? (RyanCivic2000)

turbonetics does use Garrett parts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure is. Two different compressor covers.</TD></TR></TABLE>
and wheels
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 PM

i have heard garrett is better than turbonetics for a couple of diff ppl round here, such as better internall parts used and garrett is a ball bearing turbo i remember right and turbonetics usually arent, unless u get a more costly model
Old 03-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (aznballer)

Not all Garretts are ball bearing turbos. Ball bearing models are hella exspensive, usually well in excess of $1k.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (jfoster)

Guys, just to set the record straight, Turbonetics and Garrett are not the same company.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
Old 03-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rod Short)

But are the turbos made of the same parts? Same quality?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: (jfoster)

If everything is still the same, dont expect much customer service from Turbonectics. I've read a ton of horror stories about them.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AVATAR)

many run turbonetics fine but there ahve been enough complaints over most others availible that i would stay away from them. many other companies to go with.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">many run turbonetics fine but there ahve been enough complaints over most others availible that i would stay away from them. many other companies to go with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive heard the same thing
Old 03-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiRkid)

Garrett makes turbochargers as complete units and as parts...Companies such as Precision, Innovative, Turbonetics, HKS, and many others buy turbo parts from them and make their own combinations/hybrids using their own parts as well...

Smaller companies like MIC Turbo, Majestic Turbo, MJM Turbo, TEC Turbo, and the like, also buy Garrett Parts and put together their own turbos...

Their are only a few manufacturers that make the complete turbocharger with their own parts exclusively...Garrett, IHI/Borg Warner, KKK, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and their are quite a few more...

Apexi buys their turbo parts from IHI, HKS buys their turbo parts from Garrett, Blitz buys their turbo parts from KKK, Greddy/Trust buys their turbo parts from Mitsubishi...So on and So on...

You can't say that one is better than the other based on quality of parts...All these companies make high quality turbochargers using high quality turbo parts...Now, finding the correct turbo for your application is the key to making the most out of that application...

Buy from who has the best turbo for "you"
Old 03-31-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: (Sunrise City Rider)

i agree with sunrise city rider
Old 03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sunrise City Rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Garrett makes turbochargers as complete units and as parts...Companies such as Precision, Innovative, Turbonetics, HKS, and many others buy turbo parts from them and make their own combinations/hybrids using their own parts as well...

Smaller companies like MIC Turbo, Majestic Turbo, MJM Turbo, TEC Turbo, and the like, also buy Garrett Parts and put together their own turbos...

Their are only a few manufacturers that make the complete turbocharger with their own parts exclusively...Garrett, IHI/Borg Warner, KKK, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and their are quite a few more...

Apexi buys their turbo parts from IHI, HKS buys their turbo parts from Garrett, Blitz buys their turbo parts from KKK, Greddy/Trust buys their turbo parts from Mitsubishi...So on and So on...

You can't say that one is better than the other based on quality of parts...All these companies make high quality turbochargers using high quality turbo parts...Now, finding the correct turbo for your application is the key to making the most out of that application...

Buy from who has the best turbo for "you" </TD></TR></TABLE>

What about Airesearch? I have a Precision SC50, but the turbine housing is a special ordered 4-bolt pattern that says Airesearch on it.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

I think that AiReseach is a division of Garrett...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:07 PM

I totally agree with Sunrise City Rider that you should just buy from who has the best for you and that you can't always say one is better than the others. . . but there's a bit of misinformation here.

Garrett has three levels of distributors: Master, Performance and Engineering Houses. Master Distributors handle the entire line including Heavy Duty, Commercial and Agricultural applications. Performance Distributors (known as GTPD's) special in the street and race aftermarket. Last year, we were the largest of all the GTPD's. Engineering Houses (such as Edelbrock, Mazda Speed, etc) carry a very short line usually geared towards specific automotive applications. All of these are listed for everyone to see in their downloadable catalog at http://www.turbobygarrett.com.

They also sell direct to OEM's such as CAT, NaviStar, etc. Garrett, by the way, is owned by Honeywell.

Nowhere will you find Turbonetics or Innovative and I sure don't see them at the Engineering or Sales meetings. Nor do you see them advertising that they use Garrett components. They used to be on this list, but are no longer there. Remember that there are other behind-the-scenes manufacturers such as Borg-Warner, IHI, etc. Each has their strengths and weaknesses like everybody else.

HKS, being a Japanese company, buys from Garrett Japan, which is why a lot of their prices have shot up so much recently since the dollar has gotten weaker against the yen. This has actually led to a number of overseas companies to buy from us now since (even with shipping) things are less expensive for them now.

Many of the smaller companies buy from one of the three levels of Garrett distributors listed above.

If there is a major difference between all the companies, I would have to say that Garrett's GT Technology has set them apart from the others. These designs are different from the older T-technology turbos from the late 70's and early to mid 80's because of the better designs using tools such as Computational Fluid Dynamics and manufacturing techniques such as 6-axis CNC machining. To give you an example, we has a customer call us last week to say that they produced over 1,200 wheel horsepower on a Toyota Supra using a GT4788. Holy cow!

At Precision, we take these CHRA's (center housing rotating assemblies) and mate them with our own proprietary housings in order to make them work better for specific applications. For example, you probably would have trouble getting an out-of-the-box GT35R to work on a 4-cyl. because the A/R on the exhaust housing is just too darn big. Garrett sells components, but sometimes we have to go so far as to actually buy the complete turbo, take it apart, discard what we can't use (you'd be amazed at what's in our scrap pile) and then rebuild it with our own components. It's just a means of tailoring the product to a specific application.

That's why, for instance, we make the SC61 with three different turbine wheels so you can size it to the displacement of the engine so you'll have good spooling. The same goes with the newer GT35 turbos, which we make several versions of.

The GT stuff definitely costs more, so it may not be the thing for an entry level customer. The older T-technology has been around a long time and, as a result, is much less expensive. The GT designs, however, flow much, much better aerodynamically, which is what a turbo is all about.

We buy other manufacturer's product (and listen very intently to other mfg's sales pitches us, too) just to look over what they have so we can offer what we believe to be the very best product we can find. We're also working very hard on expanding our building, adding machinery (so we can reduce our backorders) and staff as well so we can improve our customer service and technical support. I wish we could make it happen overnight.

Anyhow, this turned out to be a lot longer than I first intended, but I just wanted to put my spin (sorry, couldn't resist) on the topic. Bottom line, though, just buy the product that does the best for you from the dealer that does the most for you.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
Old 03-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Better than steak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sunrise City Rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Garrett makes turbochargers as complete units and as parts...Companies such as Precision, Innovative, Turbonetics, HKS, and many others buy turbo parts from them and make their own combinations/hybrids using their own parts as well...

Buy from who has the best turbo for "you" </TD></TR></TABLE>
That was the best description I've ever heard!!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (Rod Short)

Originally Posted by Rod Short
I totally agree with Sunrise City Rider that you should just buy from who has the best for you and that you can't always say one is better than the others. . . but there's a bit of misinformation here.

Garrett has three levels of distributors: Master, Performance and Engineering Houses. Master Distributors handle the entire line including Heavy Duty, Commercial and Agricultural applications. Performance Distributors (known as GTPD's) special in the street and race aftermarket. Last year, we were the largest of all the GTPD's. Engineering Houses (such as Edelbrock, Mazda Speed, etc) carry a very short line usually geared towards specific automotive applications. All of these are listed for everyone to see in their downloadable catalog at http://www.turbobygarrett.com.

They also sell direct to OEM's such as CAT, NaviStar, etc. Garrett, by the way, is owned by Honeywell.

Nowhere will you find Turbonetics or Innovative and I sure don't see them at the Engineering or Sales meetings. Nor do you see them advertising that they use Garrett components. They used to be on this list, but are no longer there. Remember that there are other behind-the-scenes manufacturers such as Borg-Warner, IHI, etc. Each has their strengths and weaknesses like everybody else.

HKS, being a Japanese company, buys from Garrett Japan, which is why a lot of their prices have shot up so much recently since the dollar has gotten weaker against the yen. This has actually led to a number of overseas companies to buy from us now since (even with shipping) things are less expensive for them now.

Many of the smaller companies buy from one of the three levels of Garrett distributors listed above.

If there is a major difference between all the companies, I would have to say that Garrett's GT Technology has set them apart from the others. These designs are different from the older T-technology turbos from the late 70's and early to mid 80's because of the better designs using tools such as Computational Fluid Dynamics and manufacturing techniques such as 6-axis CNC machining. To give you an example, we has a customer call us last week to say that they produced over 1,200 wheel horsepower on a Toyota Supra using a GT4788. Holy cow!

At Precision, we take these CHRA's (center housing rotating assemblies) and mate them with our own proprietary housings in order to make them work better for specific applications. For example, you probably would have trouble getting an out-of-the-box GT35R to work on a 4-cyl. because the A/R on the exhaust housing is just too darn big. Garrett sells components, but sometimes we have to go so far as to actually buy the complete turbo, take it apart, discard what we can't use (you'd be amazed at what's in our scrap pile) and then rebuild it with our own components. It's just a means of tailoring the product to a specific application.

That's why, for instance, we make the SC61 with three different turbine wheels so you can size it to the displacement of the engine so you'll have good spooling. The same goes with the newer GT35 turbos, which we make several versions of.

The GT stuff definitely costs more, so it may not be the thing for an entry level customer. The older T-technology has been around a long time and, as a result, is much less expensive. The GT designs, however, flow much, much better aerodynamically, which is what a turbo is all about.

We buy other manufacturer's product (and listen very intently to other mfg's sales pitches us, too) just to look over what they have so we can offer what we believe to be the very best product we can find. We're also working very hard on expanding our building, adding machinery (so we can reduce our backorders) and staff as well so we can improve our customer service and technical support. I wish we could make it happen overnight.

Anyhow, this turned out to be a lot longer than I first intended, but I just wanted to put my spin (sorry, couldn't resist) on the topic. Bottom line, though, just buy the product that does the best for you from the dealer that does the most for you.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
Wow, another good example!! Thanks Rod..

art
Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Re: (Arturbo)

Good information in here guys

For the record, I ended up getting a Garrett t3/to4e .60/.63ar 57 trim etc. etc. Should be good for my application.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And buy your turbo from Art. :-P
Old 03-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (integra_gsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_gsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And buy your turbo from Art. :-P</TD></TR></TABLE>
Tacos too!!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Tacos too!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Artaco
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sunrise City Rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think that AiReseach is a division of Garrett...</TD></TR></TABLE>

AiResearch is what Garret was about 30 years ago. They are the branch that made trubo's for Saab, and Volvo.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nid Styles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nid Styles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

AiResearch is what Garret was about 30 years ago. They are the branch that made trubo's for Saab, and Volvo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So why would I have a brand new SC50 that has AiResearch on the turbine housing then?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics vs Garrett turbos?