Notices

Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles....

Anyone else have a problem with these things?

I always used my turbo timer, never ran higher than 14lbs. This seems like a short lifespan for something this expensive. And they won't warranty it either.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (gigantor)

What I hate when comp. do that
Old 06-18-2002, 11:46 AM

i bought a rebuild kit for mine and the bitch is now leaking again. The people i have talk to over there are idiots!! I will personally will stay away from turbonetics.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (CovertFI)

I am having the same problem. I had my turbo installed. Wasn't very happy with the performance so I dyno'd and took it to the track. The dyno read 150hp and the track was a 15.7 1/4 time. At that point I knew something was really wrong. Took the turbo to the shop and they stated the turbo had shaft wobble. This was after maybe 700-800 miles. Sent the turbo back to turbonetic for a rebuild. They did it for free(not really sure yet why since they said the only problem was the turbo was all gooped up with oil. due to "hot shutdown" I always let the turbo cool for at least 15 minutes before I would shut down the car. ), the turbo came back and low and behold I still had shaft wobble. Sent the turbo back, it came back with shaft wobble that was "within tolerance". Put the turbo back on the car to show them it was still wrong and the seals in the turbo blew out and oil leaked everywhere. The turbo is once again back at turbonetics now for the 3rd time to get fixed. They have been cool with doing it for free. The only issue is that they aren't willing to send me a replacement and keep the bunk one. They told me nothing was wrong, but still changed the housing because it was scuffed where the fins had slammed the side of the housing. I'm not very happy and have been out my teg for almost 8 weeks.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM
New User

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (teg2snbtrbd)

turbonetics must have bad customer service issues.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:14 PM

hMm.. i upgraded to my second turbonetics (used), and i haven't seen ne problems with the first or second one.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (gsR-T mode)

I thought mine was leaking and i called them. they said whats a drag turbo kit? and what size oil hose does it have? They said it would be 250 to rebuild even though it was 2 months old. so i said f%$k it. and i ran the thing and just drained the lower pipe. well a week later the turbo stoped leaking oil its been a yar now and my pipes are still dry. i dunno why but it happened
Old 06-18-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (turboex)

I've only had mine for 6 months, but I have had trouble since the first two with shaft wobble. I am still plagued by shaft wobble and have decided to take it to Majestic Turbo in Waco, TX to replace the entire shaft and bolt it down to their spec. I have heard that most Turbonetics turbos go bad by 3000 miles, some are lucky though. The reason is that they are mass produced and put together with minimal parts.

This is one of those instances where I wished I had not payed any attention to all the praise for Drag kits from this site. Everybody talks about how great they are and how much more power you would get if you used one, but take a look at how many more are being sold as used over the Greddy kit. IMO, Turbonetics, makes cheap sh*t at a premium price. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a Greddy or Apexi kit and stayed away from Rev Hard or Drag.

[Modified by maxim, 3:41 PM 6/18/2002]
Old 06-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they said the only problem was the turbo was all gooped up with oil. due to "hot shutdown" I always let the turbo cool for at least 15 minutes before I would shut down the car.
DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS?! 15 MINUTES?! Is this at idle, or just driving around casually with little to no boost for 15 mins? Get a turbo timer and set it for 3 minutes if you've driven it really hard...or else 1-2 minutes is fine after a simple daily drive.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (Prelude_RCR)

i think it's been pretty widespread problems. some of course don't experience any. but a lot of people i speak to and the shop i goto told me to stay away from turbonetics. that they were junk. pretty strong.

but i chose to go with majestic to custom spec my turbo. not sure where they get their turbo parts, but great customer service and great pricing.

and that claim of hot shutdown with 1000 miles on the turbo. bull ****.
i know people with factory turbo cars that don't cool down even a second and their turbos have lasted plenty. a couple with even over 100k. the whole shut down is very overrated.

however, try what i did. water cool the turbo along with oil cooling if you haven't done so already.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (bgod)

Most factory turbo cars are already water cooled, therefore don't really NEED to cool down. But as for the turbo kits out there, they're only oil cooled, therefore need that cool down time to help prevent oil choke.

Also, for the guys who's turbo leaked/wobble/whatever...what were your oil change intervals? And also what weight oil were you using? And how much boost?
Old 06-18-2002, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (Prelude_RCR)

they said the only problem was the turbo was all gooped up with oil. due to "hot shutdown" I always let the turbo cool for at least 15 minutes before I would shut down the car.

DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS?! 15 MINUTES?! Is this at idle, or just driving around casually with little to no boost for 15 mins? Get a turbo timer and set it for 3 minutes if you've driven it really hard...or else 1-2 minutes is fine after a simple daily drive.
Is this true? I was about to freak out about the 15 min. cool down. I let it run when I first start up until the needle is in the normal range, and then before I shut the car down, I let it idle until the EGT is reading a little below 4. This usually takes about 3-4 mins.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (GSRgrrl)

15 minutes was the longest. Usually I would get home, pull the car in the garage, let the dog out, grab a beer and go back out to shut it off Usually about 5 or 6 minutes. I figured I should be on the longer rather than shorter end.

To answer the other question, I was running 6.5 PSI, had changed the oil when the turbo was put on, but only got about 700 miles before it broke so no other oil changes done other than the first.

P.S. I have the turbo timer, but haven't installed it since the car has been in the shop for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. This is one of the first thing I am doing when I get the turbo back besides enjoying my ride.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:21 PM

preludercr. yes most factory cars do come watercooled. however, most of the problems above have come with 1000miles or only a few months of use.

there is no logical reason why the turbo should fail due to not cooling down the car even if the turbo is only oil-cooled in only 1000 miles.

really feeling for you guys above. especially when the budget just allows for that turbo to be put on, then you run inot problems.

definitely water cool those turbos. only 2 extra fittings and extending the coolant lines.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:30 PM

definitely water cool those turbos. only 2 extra fittings and extending the coolant lines.
how do you do that if all kits (that i know of) dont have water jackets. i have never seen a turbo kit come with a water jacket turbo.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Majestic =
Old 06-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (Doodoo)

As for oil intervals for me it is 2500 miles and oil type is 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic formula(not fully synth. btw)
Old 06-18-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (maxim)

I don't have a turbonetics but I'll tell you my experience with a used garett hybrid t3/t4e from a rev hard stage 2 kit... bought this turbo (and kit) used.. last person that had it claimed it was on for 5k miles etc... Its been installed on my car for about 2-3 months with 0 problems, runs like a champ... after a highway drive I cool down for 40 seconds... after a LONG drive 3 mins...

Also mine is water/oil cooled, I thought that to be a bonus from day 1... I guess it helps out alot.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles.... (CovertFI)

how do you do that if all kits (that i know of) dont have water jackets. i have never seen a turbo kit come with a water jacket turbo.
My DRAG kit came with a turbonetics turbo that was water/oil cooled. It lasted for about 2 years(25000 miles) before it needed a rebuild. I did however burn through 3 or 4 heat-wrapped coolant lines in that time and have inhaled my fair share of burning coolant.

Ev
Old 06-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

majestic gets their parts from turbonetics
Old 06-18-2002, 08:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles...

so where do we get these water jackets?
Old 06-18-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles... (Aeka GSR)

so where do we get these water jackets?
if u have a T3 turbo go to the group buy in my sig.. if not, then email me the specs on the turbo and i will see what i can do
Old 06-18-2002, 08:38 PM
New User

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles... (CustomCockpits)

its the td05 GReddy one, thats all i know. What do they usually cost?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles... (Aeka GSR)

I had two Turbonetics before. Both had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. The first one, I had it for a little more then a year. Second one, I sold it within a few days because It was too small for my application.

And Now I have a Garrett and it just looks beautiful
Old 06-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have my Turbonetics turbo for about 2 months and approximately 2500 miles put on it and *knocks on wood* no problem as of yet!!! will be changing oil this thrusday so ill see if there is something that doesnt look right!

Quick Reply: Turbonetics turbo died at 1200 miles....