Notices

turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF??

Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF??

i have turbonetics t3/tO4e ball bearing and after a hard pass i have oil smoke comming out of my exhuast, even at idle, so im guessing im getting oil in the exhuast cause if i drive normal for awhile it goes away, but once i boost again, on decel it smokes.

i call turbonetics and asked if i should run a restrictor they said NO! and that the turbo can handle up to 110psi of oil pressure at WOT, honda motors cant even produce 110psi of oil pressure can they?

what should i do? run one or not?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF?? (blinx9900)

Most turbonetics have been a CERAMIC ball-bearing cartridge, which is far different from the Steel Ball-bearing cartridge from the Garrett Ballistic series. The may explain part of the confusion.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF?? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most turbonetics have been a CERAMIC ball-bearing cartridge, which is far different from the Steel Ball-bearing cartridge from the Garrett Ballistic series. The may explain part of the confusion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see, im sure thats a contributing factor. with that said do you agree or disagree with turbonetics? in other words should i just run a restrictor? the turbo only has 3000 miles on it, no reason for it to be blowing oil.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe its your valve seals rings?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF?? (blinx9900)

Well tell them that is fine just send you a new turbo.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1Quikgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1Quikgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe its your valve seals rings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

compression is 230 across

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90dxhmt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well tell them that is fine just send you a new turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

even though its low mileage its been on the shelf for a while, i believe there warrenty is only a year

Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i see, im sure thats a contributing factor. with that said do you agree or disagree with turbonetics? in other words should i just run a restrictor? the turbo only has 3000 miles on it, no reason for it to be blowing oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're running a -3AN fitting, it is more than likely than not necessary. But with that said, it may be easier to be safe.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbonetics says not to run a oil restrictor on a bb?? WTF?? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you're running a -3AN fitting, it is more than likely than not necessary. But with that said, it may be easier to be safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sorry i dont understand. are you saying if im running a small oil inlet line it may not be necessary but i might as well add the restrictor? i dont know what size my line is for the oil inlet but its the same size most sub 350hp cars use. and my return to the oil pan is fat like it should be.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
compression is 230 across
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Taken from the net

There are only two ways for oil to get inside the combustion chamber. Oil comes in either through the valve seals or up past the piston rings. It is easy to determine which by doing a wet/dry compression test. Bad valve seals will show no improvement in compression with the wet compression test.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Taken from the net

There are only two ways for oil to get inside the combustion chamber. Oil comes in either through the valve seals or up past the piston rings. It is easy to determine which by doing a wet/dry compression test. Bad valve seals will show no improvement in compression with the wet compression test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean "taken from the net"?

im not saying oil is in the combustion chamber, what im thinking is oil is blowing past the turbo seal on the hot side and getting into the downpipe hence causeing the car to smoke on decel and for sometime after.

thanks for all the info so far everyone, im not trying to argue with anyone, just trying to learn more
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blinx9900)

I did not feel like explaining it so I took that from the net, what I was saying was just because compression is good, does not mean your valve seals are good. Yes 230 is good compression , but do a wet test
Old 07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did not feel like explaining it so I took that from the net, what I was saying was just because compression is good, does not mean your valve seals are good. Yes 230 is good compression , but do a wet test</TD></TR></TABLE>

the motors actually apart right now its getting built is there anyway to check with the head off the car?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 AM
i ♥ snails

you got 230 compression? what is your c/r ? yeah its possible your pushing oil past the seals of the turbo, turbonetics made the turbo so id hope they wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have turbonetics t3/tO4e ball bearing and after a hard pass i have oil smoke comming out of my exhuast, even at idle, so im guessing im getting oil in the exhuast cause if i drive normal for awhile it goes away, but once i boost again, on decel it smokes.

i call turbonetics and asked if i should run a restrictor they said NO! and that the turbo can handle up to 110psi of oil pressure at WOT, honda motors cant even produce 110psi of oil pressure can they?

what should i do? run one or not?</TD></TR></TABLE>I had to send my t66 in 2 times to have the seals replaced in the 5 years i have owned it.after the second rebuild i put in a oil restictor with my -3an feed.I also put in a -12an return line instead of -10an and i have'nt had any problems yet.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you got 230 compression? what is your c/r ? yeah its possible your pushing oil past the seals of the turbo, turbonetics made the turbo so id hope they wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

10.8:1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ovrbst_T66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had to send my t66 in 2 times to have the seals replaced in the 5 years i have owned it.after the second rebuild i put in a oil restictor with my -3an feed.I also put in a -12an return line instead of -10an and i have'nt had any problems yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the heads up, i might just say expletive turbonetics and do the same