TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

U need thicker wrist pins not thicker pistons je pistons don't seem to be as popular as they used to be cp seems to be the goto wiseco is also great. If I'm not mistaken oversized valves is a mistake for anything under 1000hp

for hg je/ge/oem are all fine

Last edited by 2kdrift; 09-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
U need thicker wrist pins not thicker pistons je pistons don't seem to be as popular as they used to be cp seems to be the goto wiseco is also great. If I'm not mistaken oversized valves is a mistake for anything under 1000hp

for hg je/ge/oem are all fine
Iíve heard that and it seems backwards? Seems like better flow would be......well...better. Lol my goal is 700-800whp. That seems to be a breaking point, budget and literally breaking things before really having to go all in with crazy expenses
Old 09-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

I’ve heard that and it seems backwards? Seems like better flow would be......well...better. Lol my goal is 700-800whp. That seems to be a breaking point, budget and literally breaking things before really having to go all in with crazy expenses

dont underestimate the flow of stock valves...theres four of them per cylinder.... 2ex/2in in so there twice as big as they look pair that with a well designed head. Everything is give and take so im guessing +1mm gives you more power above 8k but kills it everywhere else.

Id recommend going with stock valves but maybe wait and see what AZ has to say although he already stated to stick with stock size. Plenty of 800+ using oem head other then cam/valve train
Old 09-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
dont underestimate the flow of stock valves...theres four of them per cylinder.... 2ex/2in in so there twice as big as they look pair that with a well designed head. Everything is give and take so im guessing +1mm gives you more power above 8k but kills it everywhere else.

Id recommend going with stock valves but maybe wait and see what AZ has to say although he already stated to stick with stock size. Plenty of 800+ using oem head other then cam/valve train
I've personally used stock sized Ferrea intake and exhaust valves and would not use stock valves even if I were building something 500whp or less. The reason for me is strength, in the past I have had two motors completely trashed because stock valves and cheap valves. The first time I had a little valve float and the piston hit the valve and broke it off destroying the entire motor, second motor I got a set of cheap valves and I think poor installation was the issue but none the less the valve head broke off in the motor destroying it.

Ever since I ran Ferrea valves they are strong, I've ran them for 5 plus years on a full drag motor running 10.5k RPM shifts and on occasion have hit 11k plus. After 4 years I pulled the motor to refresh and had a couple slightly bent valves, so slight that I could have kept running them but changed the bent ones out. Last year when my motor let go I had a piston hit the head in 3rd gear at a 10,500 RPM shift and even that didn't break the valves.

No onto oversized valves, I've always ran stock sized valves because I never really thought I would need oversized ones. I just had a new head sent over to 4Piston to get a full outlaw head done and both my engine builder and 4piston recommended stock size valves because of heat. The said not to use an oversized valve especially when you make the power I make because of the heat our motors generate when on launch control.

So for my 1200-1300 whp I have chose to use stock size valves.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
I've personally used stock sized Ferrea intake and exhaust valves and would not use stock valves even if I were building something 500whp or less. The reason for me is strength, in the past I have had two motors completely trashed because stock valves and cheap valves. The first time I had a little valve float and the piston hit the valve and broke it off destroying the entire motor, second motor I got a set of cheap valves and I think poor installation was the issue but none the less the valve head broke off in the motor destroying it.

Ever since I ran Ferrea valves they are strong, I've ran them for 5 plus years on a full drag motor running 10.5k RPM shifts and on occasion have hit 11k plus. After 4 years I pulled the motor to refresh and had a couple slightly bent valves, so slight that I could have kept running them but changed the bent ones out. Last year when my motor let go I had a piston hit the head in 3rd gear at a 10,500 RPM shift and even that didn't break the valves.

No onto oversized valves, I've always ran stock sized valves because I never really thought I would need oversized ones. I just had a new head sent over to 4Piston to get a full outlaw head done and both my engine builder and 4piston recommended stock size valves because of heat. The said not to use an oversized valve especially when you make the power I make because of the heat our motors generate when on launch control.

So for my 1200-1300 whp I have chose to use stock size valves.
thatís great info man! Itís much appreciated
Old 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the new slicks in and ready to go, been working on breaking things back loose after setting around for so long. Took tranny out this past weekend and been installing synchro tech carbon synchros and installing solid bushings in linkage and added a short throw shifter. Just ordered hasport rear extreme racing motor mount and hoping to better the bad shifts I always had. I’m talking the car out the the track one or two last times before I pull the engine to start the full build, hoping to get kicked out of the track with a 10.90 lol but I expect mid 11’s around 118-124mph. I’ve really enjoyed putting a wrench back into my hands and forgetting about a long hard day at work.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
Looking good!
thanks. I just ordered my 4 new rims and skinnyís, Iím like a kid in a candy store. Lol.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Man I love the look of slicks on an eg! Better raise up that front quite a bit though, homie.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't had a turbocharged Honda since '05 even though I've tinkered with Hondas in general from time to time. Been messing with Hondas since the mid 90s. At the moment, I'm in the process of turbocharging my Del Sol and it's a "refresher course" to buying and remember all that is needed. Yeah, we're old ***** who can't seem to let go of toys. LOL

I would love to get into another Civic hatch but a clean one is hard to come by. 99% of the ones I see for sale are trash, gutted or riced out. Don't have time and patience to deal with people's unwanted headaches.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0 View Post
Man I love the look of slicks on an eg! Better raise up that front quite a bit though, homie.
Ďno doubt, already done.... car has coil overs
Old 09-28-2018, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo View Post
OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't had a turbocharged Honda since '05 even though I've tinkered with Hondas in general from time to time. Been messing with Hondas since the mid 90s. At the moment, I'm in the process of turbocharging my Del Sol and it's a "refresher course" to buying and remember all that is needed. Yeah, we're old ***** who can't seem to let go of toys. LOL

I would love to get into another Civic hatch but a clean one is hard to come by. 99% of the ones I see for sale are trash, gutted or riced out. Don't have time and patience to deal with people's unwanted headaches.

its amazing how how things changed with technology over the past 10 years, us guys back in the 90ís struggled for all the information that made today racers so fast. You did not have a fast car because of eBay parts, you ran fast because you worked your *** off and blew up a bunch of crap lol.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think back to those old days. I remember for like 5 years in the early 2000's I was all about all motor, I remember in 2001 I ditched my b16 and NOS and did the b20vtec setup. By 2003 made 197whp and was like wow running 13.1 for an all motor street car was big. I remember having a chipped p28 with vtec controller which was all I had for tuning, stock ported b16 head, valve springs, retainers with an ok cam. Just knowing what I know now man it would have been nice to A have money but to just order cnc ported heads, tune with Hondata, have the type of parts available that you have now.

Back then I would have never thought I would have an 8 second car and better yet with even more new tech and parts becoming available possibly put together a 7 second car. I never took breaks in between and have always stuck with these cars, even though I long have passed on using these cars as daily drivers I still have the passion of making these fast.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think back to those old days. I remember for like 5 years in the early 2000's I was all about all motor, I remember in 2001 I ditched my b16 and NOS and did the b20vtec setup. By 2003 made 197whp and was like wow running 13.1 for an all motor street car was big. I remember having a chipped p28 with vtec controller which was all I had for tuning, stock ported b16 head, valve springs, retainers with an ok cam. Just knowing what I know now man it would have been nice to A have money but to just order cnc ported heads, tune with Hondata, have the type of parts available that you have now.

Back then I would have never thought I would have an 8 second car and better yet with even more new tech and parts becoming available possibly put together a 7 second car. I never took breaks in between and have always stuck with these cars, even though I long have passed on using these cars as daily drivers I still have the passion of making these fast.
i only wish this younger generation was able to feel the struggles we had...lol. Most would give up. But this new technology is much like Tiger Woods is with golf... much better with it
Old 09-28-2018, 11:55 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Nowadays everything can be found using GOOGLE. Back then, if people weren't cool enough to give you tips and hints on stuff, you had to do trial and error. No one wanted to share any kind of knowledge because they were afraid you would eventually outrun them. Also, kids these days don't even want to work on their own cars. They call up their 5 buddies just to help install an intake. LOL
Old 09-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nowadays everything can be found using GOOGLE. Back then, if people weren't cool enough to give you tips and hints on stuff, you had to do trial and error. No one wanted to share any kind of knowledge because they were afraid you would eventually outrun them. Also, kids these days don't even want to work on their own cars. They call up their 5 buddies just to help install an intake. LOL
I remember installing my first turbo kit made by Greddy , me and my buddy had my civic torn all over my bay while trying to ready instructions in Japanese with zero clue what we was doing. Lol. We got the car done about 3am and went down the street about freaked out when the car ripped the tires off lol
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM

There's a flip-side to that coin. WIth Google, it still relies on people willing to take the time to share the correct information. If that information isn't correct, or leaves a lot of ambiguity, you still may be stuck trying to figure out who's correct and who isn't by some trial and error. Simply because you have more choices to select from doesn't necessarily mean they are better choices; just more options to allow for the trial-and-error process. Depending upon the request, of course.

In addition, the writers of this knowledge don't always keep their webpages or blogs current. The real information may be in write-ups in links that either no longer exist, or that the original creators kept in their own vaults-of-knowledge after they moved onto different areas and changed their websites accordingly. That's why I always say, if you find something good, either keep it in a digital archive, or print it and put it in a good ole' fashion notebook to access later. Because once it's deleted on the net, it's gone.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

We got the car done about 3am and went down the street about freaked out when the car ripped the tires off lol

Good times, you never forget those rushes

2001? wow...you are an HT OG, dude

I was on SuperHonda I think...and found HT.

oh...Stock-sized Ferrea 6000 here, with Rocket Motorsport springs, Ferrea locks and K20 OEM Chrome-moly retainers..everything meshed beautifully

Last edited by B and B; 10-02-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
There's a flip-side to that coin. WIth Google, it still relies on people willing to take the time to share the correct information. If that information isn't correct, or leaves a lot of ambiguity, you still may be stuck trying to figure out who's correct and who isn't by some trial and error. Simply because you have more choices to select from doesn't necessarily mean they are better choices; just more options to allow for the trial-and-error process. Depending upon the request, of course.

In addition, the writers of this knowledge don't always keep their webpages or blogs current. The real information may be in write-ups in links that either no longer exist, or that the original creators kept in their own vaults-of-knowledge after they moved onto different areas and changed their websites accordingly. That's why I always say, if you find something good, either keep it in a digital archive, or print it and put it in a good ole' fashion notebook to access later. Because once it's deleted on the net, it's gone.
Very true, indeed. You literally have to filter out the "I believe it should work" and find the "this is correct way because I've done it 10 million times". What sucks is when the original poster uses shitty Photobucket and the image no longer exists. I find it much easier if there is a detailed pic of what is being described.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Back in the Nopi days (in my area), turbo cars were oiling down the track left and right and were super inconsistent. However, the all motor cars were dialed in, running similar times. Couple that with the fact I grew up with domestic naturally aspirated cars that would shake your insides at idle standing 10 feet away, which would street race in front of my house every weekend. That just done it for me as a kid.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true, indeed. You literally have to filter out the "I believe it should work" and find the "this is correct way because I've done it 10 million times". What sucks is when the original poster uses shitty Photobucket and the image no longer exists. I find it much easier if there is a detailed pic of what is being described.
‘I would take the information that’s available today 100 times over compared to what we had to work with back in the 90’s. At least you can take small pieces from everyone’s opinions today, back then, there was no YouTube and internet was still dialup , it was all just about a lot of hard work and blowing stuff up . And there was no such thing as EBay or Amazon, turbos started around 1000.00 for a smaller turbo. To compare today to back then is no comparison when it comes to making things easy
Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

I know what you mean. If you wanted parts for your build, you relied on the sales guy on the phone. If he suggested something you didn't need, you have an extra part or two. LOL

Yeah, I remember calling up PWR and faxing in my drawing of the FMIC I wanted. It was nice to have it custom made to my specs but on the other hand, I could have done fine with the off-the-shelf FMIC. I bought my REVHARD T3/T4 turbo kit (manifold, 35mm Turbonetics W/G and turbocharger) over the phone and had to wait almost 2 weeks for delivery. Talk about being anxious and worried at the same time. LOL
Old 10-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All these coming back threads. I need to pull the cover off my DC2.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^ New wheel setup lookin nice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: